Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2003 7:20:04 AM EDT
Yup... the Republicans are just going to let the AW ban expire out of the goodness of their hearts!

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1029419/posts

This should tell everyone that the Republicans will "compromise" our rights away UNLESS we let them know, en mass, that there will be hell to pay come election day if they reauthorize the AW ban!

C'mon... use what little freedom we have left to influence the outcome of AW ban battle... The Essential "End the AW Ban" Contact List & Sample Letter Thread ... you owe it to yourself, your childern, and to everyone who has fought & died for this nation!

Chew on that at the Thanksgiving table...  

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I gotta agree with Eric on this (non-biblical issue) one [;)] decreasing the length the records are held from 90 days to 24 hours is an immense improvement in my opinion.   Now if we can only make sure the backups are being destroyed, i would be happy. It took a long time with incremental changes to restrict our right to bear arms that it is today.   I would expect that it will take about the same amount of time to reduce the restrictions and be as incremental, if it happens at all.  (aside from some outside crazy situation)
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#3]
It looks like they are trying to put a brick back into the wall. Currently, records are kept for 90+ days and they want to change it to 24 hrs..to me it looks like a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Eric, in order for a "deal" or "compromise" to be reached, both sides have to gain something out of the bargain.

IIRC, the law as currently written says that the records are not to be retained, period, end of discussion! Once more "compromise" rears its ugly head and establishes precedent that it's OK to retain the records.  

If 24 hours is OK, why not 48 hours, or 21 days, or 18 months, or 20 years?

...And once again, "they" gain something out of the "compromise" that they did not have before, & we lose what we already had! The fact that "it could have been worse" is small consolation because this mindset will ultimately lead to the complete evisceration of our RKBA.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#5]

[b]When you sit down to negotiate on what you already have, you lose.[/b]

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#6]
personally i would like to see ALL of the assenine, rules and regs be made a dark stain on the floor of history.

but thats not going to happen. leagal or not, the bastards are keeping these records. 24 hrs or a lifetime, it does not matter. the only way to stop it is open revolt.

but we all know that's not going to happen either..

so for now i'll take what i can get... then take the rest later. (just like the bastards that are our enemy have done for decades..)
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

IIRC, the law as currently written says that the records are not to be retained, period, end of discussion! Once more "compromise" rears its ugly head and establishes precedent that it's OK to retain the records.  
View Quote

That explains it. You aren't familiar with the current record retention limits. The precedent was set years ago. When they started doing the Brady Checks, the FBI kept the records indefinately. Someone filed suit contending that it was a form of registration and it was decided that 90 days was the limit the records could be retained. I forget the exact reason they gave, but it was some BS about statistical study and for 'law enforcement' purposes.

...And once again, "they" gain something out of the "compromise" that they did not have before, & we lose what we already had! The fact that "it could have been worse" is small consolation because this mindset will ultimately lead to the complete evisceration of our RKBA.
View Quote

This compromise reduces what they already have. What we lost was lost in the Clinton years.  This is a gain over what we currently have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top