Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2005 1:08:24 AM EDT
"Census Bureau: American Living Standards Now Seriously Impacted By Immigration"(illegals)

Latest Census Bureau Report
www.census.gov/prod/2005pubs/p60-229.pdf

if you have time to read 85 pages.........
from what I saw more than half of the illegals have taxpayer funded health insurance
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:44:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Ain't that special... 85 pages of bureaucratic spew to tell us what we have been telling THEM for years.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]
An opinion piece with some more stats

Immigrant flood is swamping America
September 05, 2005
Barbara McEwan
www.roanoke.com/editorials/commentary/31563.html
McEwan is a retired biology teacher living in Forest.

Those individuals who favor allowing foreigners to enter and stay in our country in violation of our laws ignore several basic reasons why American citizens cannot allow this to happen. Facts overlooked by supporters of illegals follow:

First, the number of potential immigrants is vast. We forget how low the standard of living is for most of Earth's 6 billion-plus people. The Roanoke Times ran an article on Aug. 18 regarding a poll by the Pew Hispanic Center, which found that "four out of every 10 Mexican adults would migrate to the United States if they had the means and opportunity to do so." It also said, "very significant portions of the Mexican adult population have the thought of migration in mind and view it as an option."

Pew found the number of illegal immigrants growing by roughly 485,000 people a year, with Mexicans accounting for 70 percent of the total. In 2004 an estimated 10.3 million people lived here who had deliberately broken our laws by sneaking across our border or overstaying their visas, an increase of about 23 percent from 8.4 million in 2000 (Roanoke Times, March 22) .

What other law-breakers do we allow to go unpunished? Who benefits from this flood besides the illegal immigrants themselves?

Employers who hire them because an oversupply of applicants can then lower wages. Americans cannot accept them and retain our standard of living in terms of food, clothing and housing costs, with a few extras such as an automobile added. Currently some 5 percent of our population is unemployed and would be working, provided only that a decent wage was paid. The more applicants (in this case illegals) for a job, the lower the wage for Americans.

In addition, illegals who succeed here are those most needed in their homelands to improve conditions.

The Wall Street investment firm Bear Stearns concluded the government has grossly underestimated the size of the illegal population, putting it at 20 million not 10 million. Bear Sterns estimated that illegal aliens hold 12 million to 15 million jobs -- 8 percent of the current labor force. Between 4 million and 6 million jobs have shifted to the underground labor market, and Bear Stearns concludes that the average annual earnings of American workers have been reduced by 4 percent to 6 percent. Barron's financial publication concurs.

Census Bureau figures show that throughout our country, many counties have few illegals and all work is done by millions of white or black Americans. The idea that the latter would refuse to do manual labor is not borne out by the facts. What is borne out by the facts is that illegals, no matter their origin, take jobs away from our citizens. We don't need illegals to keep this country running.

Analysis of Census Bureau figures like that done by the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) verifies the costs of illegals to American taxpayers. Nearly two-thirds of illegals lack a high school diploma, resulting in low incomes and tax payments. As a result, illegal alien households are estimated to cost $2,700 a year more per household in services than they pay in taxes (asuming they are not underground and paying nothing). This totaled a burden of nearly $10.4 billion on the federal budget in 2002. The largest federal costs follow: Medicaid ($2.5 billion), treatment for the uninsured ($2.2 billion), food assistance programs ($1.9 billion), federal prison and court systems ($1.6 billion) and federal aid to schools ($1.4 billion). In 2002, the net loss to U.S. natives from immigration was $68 billion, a $14 billion increase just since 1998.

Between 2000 and 2004, the number of unemployed adult natives increased by 2.3 million while the number of employed adult immigrants increased by 2.3 million. Half of this increase is estimated to be from illegal immigration. The number of working age natives (18-64) who left the labor force altogether in this period because of lack of employment opportunities increased by 4 million.

Most important of all: The U.S. population of 150 million that prevailed in the 1940s has long been considered by scientists who study such things as the maximum number of people American natural resources can support over the long term. Our population now approaches double that: 300 million. To compensate for this excess we, 5 percent of Earth's population, import up to 30 percent and more of the basic nonrenewable resources, such as oil.

We must end illegal immigration, drastically reduce legal immigration and lower our native birth rate, the highest of all developed nations. We must control our borders. We must heavily fine employers who hire illegals. We must end the current practice of providing automatic citizenship to any baby born here.

The house is full.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I never would have known....
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Many people say the illegals are a net gain for our country........
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Many people say the illegals are a net gain for our country........

Many people would be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought theyre doing the jobs Americans wont do?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Simple solution.,..

Knowingly hire an illegal and your ass goes to the can...

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

They're doing the jobs Americans won't do for $1.50 an hour....
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck em..

They can go to Mexico and work for $1.50 an hour for all I care...

If Mexico is such a fucked up country, Mexicans need to change that.

Running up north is not going to fix their problems.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

They are committing the crimes that Americans won't
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Simple solution.,..

Knowingly hire an illegal and your ass goes to the can...

pv74 for prez.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck em..

They can go to Mexico and work for $1.50 an hour for all I care...

If Mexico is such a fucked up country, Mexicans need to change that.

Running up north is not going to fix their problems.

+1 viva la revolution!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I suggest dropping the "knowingly" from an otherwise great idea. Proving state of mind is a bear. Employers have a DUTY to KNOW whether the person is legit.

Health care is where this immigration open door is going to slam. Only the richest of the rich (i.e. those who are hiring most of  the illegals) can pay for health care out of pocket. When upper middle class health care is destroyed by having to care for every sick Central and South American this will come to a head. Health insurance is going through the roof if you can get it at all. Where is AARP on this one?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ain't that special... 85 pages of bureaucratic spew to tell us what we have been telling THEM for years.

And, I'll give you ONE guess
who paid to collect the data
who paid to correlate the data
who paid to print the data
who paid to have someone interpret the data
and who is going to pay to have someone lie to them about the data
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top