Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 6:44:47 PM EDT
I'm in need of a good pair of running shoes since I started cardio training today. My current shoes aren't best suited for running distances. I've heard good things about New Balance, but don't really know what model # is good. Any ideas O Arfcom?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Look for the made in america new balance shoes.

As far as model goes, try a bunch on and go with what feels right for you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Brooks...they are the best as far as I am concerned.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
New Balance. I switched to them 4 years ago and will never own a different brand again.
My feet feel far better in NB than anything else.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
You need to understand what kind of feet you have first. Are you flat footed, normal- or high-arched? Do you over- or under-pronate? Check out runners web sites to know what to expect, then analyze your feet. A specialized running shoe store can tell you these things, even if you choose not to buy from them.

So that's it; I can't tell you to do anything else except do more research.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
New Balance. I switched to them 4 years ago and will never own a different brand again.

+1
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Whatever brand you get make sure that you go to a place that can fit you properly.

For example, New Balance are GREAT shoes, and I know many, even in this thread, who swear by them, and that's great,  but for whatever reason they are uncomfortable as hell to me. And they were fit at a New Balance store.

Not a knock, just don't work on my feet.

Nike Air Max or Shox OTOH, feel and function great. For me.

But get what fits and feels comfortable.

SG
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Asics or New Balance.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for New Balance.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Happy New Balance owner here.  Had mine for 5 years and although the tread's getting worn, the rest of the shoe has held up like a champ.

Under $100, comfy, made in the USA.  What's not to like?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#10]
ASICS
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#11]
My last 3 pairs have been Asics. They were about $90 for some kind of gel model I forgot. No complaints. I use them for actual running not cross training.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm in need of a good pair of running shoes since I started cardio training today. My current shoes aren't best suited for running distances. I've heard good things about New Balance, but don't really know what model # is good. Any ideas O Arfcom?

I run.  A lot.  Probably more than almost anyone on ARFCOM.  I am a three time (two time so far in college) All American in track and field and cross country both, so you could say I know a bit about running.  ScaryGuy gave you the best No-BS answer you can get.  Different brands of shoes fit different people better.  One brand may fit you well for a while, and then no longer work as you get in better shape.  In highschool I swore by Adidas and ran about 80 miles a week in them.  My senior year I started wearing Sauconys and loved them, they broke in faster and where lighter/more comfortable for me then almost any other shoes.  I then got to a point where I was training in "flats" (like spikes/racing shoes, but waffle pattern rubber for grip).  Flats have almost no support at all, and many people who don't work into it would be injured badly by training in them on a regular basis.  I then went to training barefoot for a little over a year, ran on everything from golf courses to beachs to pavement.  Now my newest coach doesn't let any of his athletes train barefoot, and he only allows flats for short/fast workouts.  So I bought some New Balance shoes on sale and wore them for a while.  I liked them, but they where heavy, and they hurt my feet for a while before I got used to them so I had to alternate days between them and a pair of Brooks, also great shoes.  I wore out both pairs in two months, and am now back with Sauconys.  

The important thing I am trying to stress is that no one brand is great for anyone.  Make sure your shoes are made for someone with your type of foot pronation (arch, and how it affects your foot landing).  Ideally you should have two pairs of shoes of different brands and alternate them day by day.  That way one workout your wearing shoes that have better arch support, the next ones that get better cushion for your heel.  It will make a differance and will help you keep from getting injured.  Last bit of advice, do not walk around in your running shoes, as they form differantly from the way your feet land when running, and so they will be less likely to injure you, and last longer if you walk around in seperate shoes.  Good luck, and if you need any other advice, or a discount, let me know and I will see what I can do.  My team is sponsored by reebok right now but I never wear their shoes.

-Ben

Edited cause I cannot spell.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I've heard good things about Saucony and New Balance, but I can't find a pair that fit my brick shaped feet.  Nikes are comfortable and light but the sole compresses in about 40 miles and then become hard as a rock.  Reeboks are for suckers.  Now Asics on the other hand, I've had a pair go well over 600 miles and they're comfortable without being low on support.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#14]
A question on the New Balances, how do you tell which models are made in America?

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I run about 7-10 miles per week.

Through lots of trials, the cheapest Asci Gels (Some for sale around $30 at Kohls) is better than any other brand.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the replies so far.

I have arched feet (dont know how arched) because flated soled shoes will hurt my feet afterwhile. I'm not getting into competive running. I'm running now because I'm enlisting in the Army after I get my degree at the end of this semester. I need to lose 20 pounds, but I'm focusing on running mostly so I can be somewhat prepared for BCT. These shoes are going to be used for the gym, and if I decide to run around the block, not everyday shoes. Asides from being comforatable, is there a "test" to see if the shoes you are trying on are really going to work?

Thanks again
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I have arched feet (dont know how arched) because flated soled shoes will hurt my feet afterwhile. I'm not getting into competive running. I'm running now because I'm enlisting in the Army after I get my degree at the end of this semester. I need to lose 20 pounds, but I'm focusing on running mostly so I can be somewhat prepared for BCT. These shoes are going to be used for the gym, and if I decide to run around the block, not everyday shoes. Asides from being comforatable, is there a "test" to see if the shoes you are trying on are really going to work?

Thanks again

When ship out for BCT?  And dont even sweat it.  The last time I had ran before I shipped out was more than a year before, and this was after eating like a pizza or two a week in college.
I ended up getting a 13:00 on my last PT test.

And +1 on the New Balance.  Awesome, awesome shoes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Thanks again

Yes, go to a reputable running shoes store, and they can do it for you.  If you want to try it yourself do this:  Get a piece of paper, and a bucket of water.  you want the piece of paper on something clean, smooth, and flat, a board would do nicely.  Dunk the sole of your foot in the water, and then shake it a little to get rid of excess water, and place it on the paper, then pick it up.  If your whole foot appears on the paper, your flat footed, if only your very heel and toes, or extreme forefoot, appears, you have high arches, and if your heal and forefoot are connected, with a cresent shaped portion of your foot showing up on the paper, you have normal arches.  Most shoes at shoe stores will have tags on them, and if not a sales rep should be able to help you find some for your feet.  Try going to a running specialty store if possible, then they can (usually)do the test on the spot to make sure you don't somehow screw it up.

-Ben

ETA if you need to lose 20 pounds by the end of the semester, you ought to talk to your local track coach.  Explain that you just need to get in shape for BCT, and tell him how much weight you want to lose.  20 in one semester for a non runner type is pushing it. He might be able to help you work out a training schedual.  Often times they can get you a weight schedual too.  Maxing the PT test in BCT sometimes has very desirable benifits...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks again

Yes, go to a reputable running shoes store, and they can do it for you.  If you want to try it yourself do this:  Get a piece of paper, and a bucket of water.  you want the piece of paper on something clean, smooth, and flat, a board would do nicely.  Dunk the sole of your foot in the water, and then shake it a little to get rid of excess water, and place it on the paper, then pick it up.  If your whole foot appears on the paper, your flat footed, if only your very heel and toes, or extreme forefoot, appears, you have high arches, and if your heal and forefoot are connected, with a cresent shaped portion of your foot showing up on the paper, you have normal arches.  Most shoes at shoe stores will have tags on them, and if not a sales rep should be able to help you find some for your feet.  Try going to a running specialty store if possible, then they can (usually)do the test on the spot to make sure you don't somehow screw it up.

-Ben

ETA if you need to lose 20 pounds by the end of the semester, you ought to talk to your local track coach.  Explain that you just need to get in shape for BCT, and tell him how much weight you want to lose.  20 in one semester for a non runner type is pushing it. He might be able to help you work out a training schedual.  Often times they can get you a weight schedual too.  Maxing the PT test in BCT sometimes has very desirable benifits...

I did the test, and I have normal arches because only a cresent amount of the mid part of my foot showed. So what would be some recommendations from you?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#20]
+1  for New Balance.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#21]
OK, first of check here to make sure we are on the same page about your type of feet.  I have a normal arch, and my last several sets of shoes have been:

Brooks Glycerin 2 fairly (light, most comfortable right out of the box, good for cross country, grass, roads, mediocre for trails)

New Balance trail shoes, I don't remember the model number, they were REALLY heavy compared to my other running shoes, but I had the fewest near season ending ankle rolls/twists with those, good for trail running.

Saucony Omni Grid stability shoes, there are multiple model numbers for the Saucony grids, ask the rep for the one for a normal arch.  

Nike makes great racing shoes, but I would avoid their training shoes like the plague.  

For price, usually I would rank them Saucony, Brooks, New Balance.  Now I honestly have only owned new balance shoes twice out of the 100+ pairs of shoes I have killed in the last 10 years, so take my reluctance of New Balance with a grain of salt.  Good luck with what you decide!

-Ben

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#22]
asics
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I'm going to try out the Saucony Grid Omni 5 Moderate. I have normal arches with a mild to moderate over-pronator.

As far as losing 20 pounds in a semester, its more like the summer. My recruiter told me that I needed to drop 20 or so pounds, and then I would be able to join. I'm going to MEPS to take my ASVAB, and then I'll go back once I am down to my correct weight. So I don't HAVE to have it down in 3 months, its more like 6 at the most which isn't a problem since I loose weight extremely fast when I work out reguarly (Lost 45 pounds in 4-5 months the last time I worked out reguarly).
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:21:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Thanks again

I have high-arched feet too. I like Adidas, New Balance and Asics.

For training, not racing, most major shoe manufacturers make a good running shoe for under $100. Just get one that is for high-arched feet and the right size and width.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I like mizuno running shoes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I've had trouble finding any decent kicks for a LONG time.
The most comfotable, long lasting sneakers I've owned we're Adidas.

I got lucky this past summer and found these
Great support in the arch, extremely light and cool (I was amazed) they're soft, flexible, and are holding up exceedingly well. They have four colors there to choose from, I prefer black. I feel the price is an excellent value and I'm thinking about putting a few more pairs away. I've seriously spent years looking for something this good, in comfort and appearance. Most sneakers these days look really friggin' rediculous.

I'm also considering trying these for a little more money.  The Adidas A3 structure interests me, its not as plain looking but possibly even more comfortable/light.

Zappos has a no hassle, free shipping AND return policy, and its not 30 days, it's 365 days. Really can't beat their service, I love the place.

Anyways, it's rare that I like sneakers this much...
 I would definitely recommend giving these a try.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:53:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I have messed up feet, so I find Nike Air the kindest to my feet but New Balance are also good (solid).

Take it easy if you are just starting out.  I began running again a few years ago and messed up my knees by over-doing it.  I ended up having to switch to gym (machine) workouts.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#28]
New Balance
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Look for the made in america new balance shoes.

As far as model goes, try a bunch on and go with what feels right for you.

Yep.
Consider swapping out the insoles for a cushion (gel) one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I dont bu running shoes unles theyre cheaper than $30.  That said, get some turntecs and run them until the soles fall off (mine too two years).
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I dont bu running shoes unles theyre cheaper than $30.  

Serious runners know better than that.  A good pair of running shoes unfortunately cost at least $80.

That said, get some turntecs and run them until the soles fall off (mine too two years).

Generally, you don't want to wear running shoes longer than 500 miles or so.  

YMMV

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Generally, you don't want to wear running shoes longer than 500 miles or so.  

Agreed ... some people can do it, but I developed severe knee pain after pushing a pair of Nike Air running shoes too far.  I was in school and didn't want to spring for a new pair of running shoes but I broke down and bought a new pair after I started getting constant pain in my knees.  The new pair of shoes fixed everything.

I run max 15 miles per week so I replace them every year.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I was told by a friend (he's run a few marathons) that people with flat feet should wear arched shoes, and people with arched feet should wear flat shoes.  Is this correct?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Mine too. From the first time I laced them up -they were perfect.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#36]
New Balance. Holabird Sports has good prices and customer service.

Look at these two. Both are very good running shoes.

New Balance M 1122 Men

New Balance M 1221 Men

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top