Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 10:27:21 AM EST
Let's say that you ARE looking for another job, and your boss comes to you one day and asks you if you are looking for another job. What would you say?

I'll be honest with you, I would lie to my boss and tell him that I am not looking for another job. If he confronted me with a copy of my resume that maybe he found online, then I'd make up some excuse like "ah, that's an old copy that I must have inadvertently left active on Monster.com" or something.

I'm not saying that I'm prud of it, but I wouldn't admit to looking for another job and sign my own dismissal.

Would you tell the truth to your boss if he asked you if you were looking for another job?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:28:20 AM EST
none of his business.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:31:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:31:24 AM EST
If they fire you, would they give you two weeks notice? If you fire yourself, why would you give them two weeks notice?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:31:43 AM EST
Sure...

Might open up some other doors ( one way or another)
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:34:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:34:37 AM EST
I'd respond "why? you hiring?"
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:35:44 AM EST
Here's the deal. I recently told my boss I was interviewing at Microsoft - three days before I got on a plane. I told him first when I got an offer.

I didn't, however, tell him last June when I started looking. Only when I was going to miss work for two days (well, it turned into three days) did I give them a heads up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:38:04 AM EST
I would not tell my boss until he got his two weeks notice. I have seen guys screwed trying to do the right thing. It was not rewarded.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:44:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2005 10:44:22 AM EST by fight4yourrights]
I'd say:

WHY? DID YOU HEAR ABOUT A GOOD ONE?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:46:27 AM EST
I'd tell him it's none his f-ing buisness and them I'd poke him in the belly
with my index finger...wait a minute, I am the boss.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:46:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2005 10:47:41 AM EST by klutz347]
Fuck the boss. He wouldn't tell you if you were getting replaced.

The boss can pack sand, it's nunya.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:47:23 AM EST
If my boss asked I would be honest and say yes. But, thats just me, and I have had a good relationship with every boss that I have ever worked for. I would not inform them when I started looking though, only when they asked.......
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:51:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By RyJones:
none of his business.

Damn right it's not...they'll cut you loose in a NY minute if they want to, and leave you screwed all to hell. We have been America's Working Mercenaries for decades now, and Company's have NO RIGHT to know WTF we're looking for. We work AT THEIR WILL and can be let go for no reason at all.

Screw them. Look out for yourself.

HH
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:52:00 AM EST
I already told my boss I am looking.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:52:20 AM EST
Devils Advocate - they may make you a counter offer.

WE just lost someone we would have countered, HAD we known they were looking.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:52:32 AM EST
Negative
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:54:41 AM EST
That's a tough one.

Luckily I haven't encountred that one yet.

I think in my current situation, if I were job shopping, I'd answer truthfully, for a few reasons:

- I hate lying, even the little white lies/social lubricant, etc. leave me feeling a little guilty so I avoid it when I can

- It would be pretty easy for me to find another job doing what I do, so I'll assume that were I to suddenly find myself on the street as a result of my answer, it wouldn't be long before I'd be back at it.

- Given the work I do, it's unlikely that they'd fire me without first having a replacment up to speed. I'd consider telling the boss "yes" to be a couple of week heads up to myself that I'm going to be canned.

- It's possible that answering "yes" could get the boss to ask "why are you unhappy here, and what can I do to change that" ... this might lead to better conditions at the current job, and I could stop job hunting.

- I've seen a few people in my position talk openly with their boss about their desire to find work in a different location. They worked things out to both sides' benefit. The company hired someone else and had the leaving person train them. The leaving person was able to get references in their job hunt from their current boss and coworkers.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:55:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:

As a job seeker, I advise people never accept counter offers.

The numbers show most people who do take one end up leaving shortly thereafter anyway. More money won't fix the structural reasons you're leaving.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:57:05 AM EST

The numbers show most people who do take one end up leaving shortly thereafter anyway. More money won't fix the structural reasons you're leaving.

I wonder too if your company won't look to replace you, so they don't get nailed in the future, and out of spite for being blackmailed into raising your compensation
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:57:44 AM EST
I would lie to my boss, as they'd walk me out of the building if I told them the truth.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:58:58 AM EST

Would you have made their job NOT SUCK anymore, had they offered to stay?

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:06:15 AM EST

I wonder too if your company won't look to replace you, so they don't get nailed in the future, and out of spite for being blackmailed into raising your compensation

Yup. Taking the counteroffer shows you're not trustworthy. You already want to leave, and most people will tolerate bad conditions for no money if they love the job. Most people will not trade a job they love for more money. If you were looking, you're unhappy, and you'll be unhappy when they day is over.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:06:23 AM EST
Once I have an offer from another company, and assuming I'm interested in a counter-offer, I will tell my employer of my intentions. Otherwise, they'll get a two-week notice of resignation which is a hell of a lot more than they'll give me if they lay me off.

This is a right-to-work state.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:11:05 AM EST
If they had you a copy of your resume they found on Monster or Careerbuilder,
they KNOW when you last modified it, and thus will know you are lying if you say
it is an old copy.

A better answer would be that you are not looking, but that you keep your information
up-to-date.

If asked why you need to keep a resume "up to date", then you have lots of options.

One, because every career counselor in the world will tell you to do so.
Two, so you can keep aprised of your worth.
Three, because you never know when you might be downsized.
etc.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:12:02 AM EST
I have learned that telling your boss you are looking for another job can only bring you grief.

You will seen as being disloyal, even untrustworthy, Loyalty is a one way street when talking employment.

When they decide to let you go...you will get no warning.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:12:06 AM EST
Only in very special conditions.

Before I got the current job here, I had informed the boss I was looking. But I had just graduated College, so they knew that already, they were just hoping to keep me 'till I found a job.

When I got one, they asked me if I knew anyone who could replace me. I gave them a resume Monday, interviewed and hired him Tuesday, and I was training him Wed AM.

In the current position... Not a chance in hell.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:15:28 AM EST
I'm very unhappy in my current job, and my boss knows this. I like the company, I like my boss, but the working conditions in my office are awful. I have made suggestions as to how to fix things, and they have gone in one ear and out the other. My boss asked me if I was looking for another job, and I told her, honestly, no. However, I have had a position in a totally different capacity in the works for quite a while, and if that came through, only then would I leave the company. I told her I wouldn't leave for a lateral move within the field, but this is a training position, which is a huge deal in my line of work. The positions in training are VERY few and far between.

TODAY. The offer came through. I start April 4. And this company wants me very badly. It's nice to feel wanted.

yay me.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:15:59 AM EST
Statistics show that full 95% of people who accept counter-offers by their current employers don't last 2 years longer with that same company.

My advise is: If you get a new offer, take it, and GTFO of your current job, and if they counter, tell them thanks but no thanks. The odds are too much against you making it longterm with them after telling them initially that you're leaving.

HH
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:17:17 AM EST
If they counter offer when you're just looking, you could always just take the counter offer, and keep looking anyway.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:18:42 AM EST
Only a dick would fire you if he found out you were looking for another job. Hell, I'll tell anyone who works for me that if they can find a better job, I'm all for it and wish them the best of luck. You can't blame someone for trying to better themself. Surely I'm not the only mgmt. type that isn't a fuckstick.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:21:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By ARKAN_the_Tiger:
Only a dick would fire you if he found out you were looking for another job. Hell, I'll tell anyone who works for me that if they can find a better job, I'm all for it and wish them the best of luck. You can't blame someone for trying to better themself. Surely I'm not the only mgmt. type that isn't a fuckstick.

Sadly, there are many "dicks" in position to fire you. Speaking from experience.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:24:55 AM EST
Depends on why I am looking....I left a job last year that I had been at for a long time. My boss and I were friends, and he knew I had some issues with some of the policies and changes going on at work. He knew I had no issue with him, and I understood that my problems were beyond his control. We talked about it lots of times. He knew I was looking, and was very cool with me when I gave notice.

At the next job, I hated it...beyond anything I can explain....and I began looking immediately...fortunately I had something else in the wings and was able to make that happen for me...in this case, I didnt know a thing about the boss, and didnt care to...just wanted out...so I kepy my mouth shut...and when the time came, I quit.

I wouldnt do either any differently if given the chance to
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:28:17 AM EST
Well, here's my experience.
I was looking for a new job last year. I told my boss at the time that I was looking. He offered to look over my resume, then took it home with him over the weekend, completely re-wrote my entire resume, and said that if there was anything he could do to help me, just ask. He knew I didn't want to do the work I was doing any longer, but he didn't want to see me leave the company. He offered to try to find me a job in another sector of the company if I wanted, like moving to R and D, or maybe spending some time in Switzerland at the company's HQ.

When I interviewed for the job I'm at now, he was the first reference I listed (His words to me before hand: "That's one of the two time's this pHD is worth anything. The other is making reservations for dinner.") He called me after I started here to see how I liked it so far, and to let me know that if I ever needed anything else from him not to hesitate to call.

And he was very appreciative that I gave him as much notice as I did because it gave him time to restructure the group and to let me teach the other people there what I had been doing.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:17:27 PM EST
BTDT 10 years ago, when he asked, I said yes. As soon as I found another job, I left. There were the offers of more money, but money wasn't the issue. I was moving to be near family and he couldn't offer enough money to stay. It was a good job, I was there for 20 years and if I was to show up on his doorstep tomorrow, I'd have a job.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:07:31 PM EST

The only way it would be blackmail is if you had lied about receiving an offer to begin with.

Assuming you stay in the same industry:
If another organization is willing to pay you more than your current salary, that means your current salary is below your market value. That makes it your employer's problem, not yours.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:45:45 PM EST
Hell I may be looking for another job soon anyways, something has got to happen here in the Airline business
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:45:45 PM EST
I am completely miserable in my current position. To think I could've been an Intelligence Officer in the Navy....but I turned it down because it was not right for me in the end.

I took a job to get back on my feet and support myself while I figure out where I want to go next. I work with an office of completely self-absorbed, inarticulate twits.

I would not tell my boss I'm looking, but I think some co-workers know I'm plotting my next move, and that will hopefully take me beyond Ohio. But I plan on staying in the Red.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:54:10 PM EST
They will call you into meetings, tell you your jobs are safe. Then the layoffs will begin.

They will lie to you. You owe them no allegiance.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:17:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2005 6:25:52 PM EST by Hoppy]
I've been in this situation. My reply is that I always keep a resume updated and on the services. Although I am not actively searching and I am happy in my present position, I do like to keep up with the demand in my field. This actually got me a raise a couple of days after this conversation when they "just happened to notice" that I was a little underpaid.

I never go for the counter offer. If I turn in my two week notice we will have already talked about my position. My reply: "We've talked about these problems before and your position was that you could do nothing to help. Now that I've got another offer you miraculously find that you can now do something? Thanks, but no thanks."
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:17:31 PM EST
Of course I would!

I even interviewed with one guy in construction and told him I was looking for a job in mining. Got that job until I left on very good terms into that mining job.

In my current job, I think my boss knew before I heard about it - a possible transfer to another subsidiary. Lets see.... lots more money, start out at a higher job grade, first rate training at a primo facility, a possible transfer back here in a couple years, and just something new. Downside: Can't think of any after a whole week.

In one job I stayed a month past my notice to train a new guy. Pretty technical job and noone else knew it. Left on very good terms as well. Too bad it did not pay enough.

What comes around eventually goes around.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:20:17 PM EST
I sure learned the hard way you always have to know what conditions are in your job field.

Stay current on the job boards. If not posting, tune into what is offered.

In my niche feild, it is like having an MBA in the early 80's right now. It was gloomy a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:25:22 PM EST
I've been unemployed for nearly five months. I was pretty sure my days were numbered at my former job when my new boss posted my job on Monster, and a friend called me to say he saw it himself! I need to be working, but that guy was such an assclown that continuing to work for him would have been brutal. Petty and self absorbed come close to describing him...
Top Top