Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2004 6:53:04 AM EDT
How do you guys store your ammo?
I just use ammo cans with dessicant and they sit in my "gun" closet.
Someone said I should take it out of the cardboard boxes? I never heard of this.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:53:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of mine is either on stripper clips or loose packed in ammo cans
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:58:58 AM EDT
[#2]
In the back of my closet in the condition I bought it in.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I keep mine locked in fireproof gun safe (liberty).  In whatever original packaging I bought it in.

If there were ever a fire in my home - would that be enough to protect the family - standing outside of the house for example?  

I have a very nice safe - something like 1.5 hours + at full temp etc.  thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I've thought about getting a fireproof safe also, just in case. Hell they are cheap enough at Home Depot they're just friggen heavy
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I keep mine locked in fireproof gun safe (liberty).  In whatever original packaging I bought it in.

If there were ever a fire in my home - would that be enough to protect the family - standing outside of the house for example?  

I have a very nice safe - something like 1.5 hours + at full temp etc.  

thanks

Unconfined ammo in a fire does not shoot off like in the movies. It pops individually and basically the bullet pushes from the case. Any projectiles are of low velocity and of no danger to firefighters in their standard turnout gear. They certainly would not be a danger to anyone outside the house.

ETA "unconfined".
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#6]
in an old wooden ammo crate in the corner of my room, right now I only have a few boxes of ammo

a couple 100 rd value packs [9mm]

some 7.62x54R [80 rds]

I need to re-stock my ammo supplies
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Loose in ammo cans dated at time of sealing.  Use first in last out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Some in original boxes stored in ammo cans, some in mags stored in ammo cans.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#9]
All 5.56 kept on stripper clips in ammo cans.  7.62 NATO in sealed battle packs.  Rest kept in boxes in ammo cans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top