Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 10:02:58 PM EDT
anyone care to tell me a bit about being an ATF agent?  I inquired about internship at my local ATF office, got a voicemail...no reply and its been a long time...going to try back again soon.

how is ATF agent as a career?  what options would one have after putting some years in?  how hard is it to become an ATF agent?  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem is that the agents here never respond directly when you ask them questions abou their jobs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]
you're a member of arfcom...  that means you've blacklisted.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
A few ATF Agents came and worked with our officers for a week or so after the hurricane. I talked to some of them about what they actually did day to day and honestly it wasn't that interesting. It didn't even seem as interesting as what a city pd detective does. They pretty much just did follow up investigations, worked on felony firearms cases and that kinda stuff. Really boring in my opinion.

There is traffic officer that works at the dept who used work as a field agent for the justice dept(I think it was them) and he regrets the time he wasted being a federal LEO of any sorts. Likes working as a lowly beat cop or traffic officer at the city pd a lot more. Most of the federal law enforcement agencies I've had to talk to on the phone seemed like goobers.

Just curious why the ATF?  It has to be the most useless govt agency of them all. I'm convinced they find someone who knows as little as possible about firearms and hires them first.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you're a member of arfcom...  that means you've blacklisted.

Quoted:
A few ATF Agents came and worked with our officers for a week or so after the hurricane. I talked to some of them about what they actually did day to day and honestly it wasn't that interesting. It didn't even seem as interesting as what a city pd detective does. They pretty much just did follow up investigations, worked on felony firearms cases and that kinda stuff. Really boring in my opinion.

There is traffic officer that works at the dept who used work as a field agent for the justice dept(I think it was them) and he regrets the time he wasted being a federal LEO of any sorts. Likes working as a lowly beat cop or traffic officer at the city pd a lot more. Most of the federal law enforcement agencies I've had to talk to on the phone seemed like goobers.

Just curious why the ATF?  It has to be the most useless govt agency of them all. I'm convinced they find someone who knows as little as possible about firearms and hires them first.

I doubt people get blacklisted for such things...

We had an ATF agent and a FBI agent come to my HS (back when I was in HS)...the ATF agent did seem like a bit of a goon, as he wasnt very...impressive....in how he came across, his job description, etc....the FBI agent came off as very sharp, and to the point.  

I am just knocking around ideas for a possible internship, and/or job....  I called my local ATF office, the agent listed on their website for recruiting doesnt even work there anymore as they have been replaced, and the replacement never returned my call....

I would like to get into some form of law enforcement, as I think its interesting stuff, and you always encounter new things....I really dont want to get stuck at a desk job doing mundane work...id rather be out and about "in the field" doing work...  suggestions?

I will be graduating college with a 4-year International Studies major within the next year, hopefully ill be getting my Masters after I leave here...  

Our advisors here at my college arnt helpful at all, and the first thing they say when you ask about career opportunities is tell you become a teacher.... (80%+ of students on my campus are Education majors)...  any suggestions/insight/advice is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#5]
ATF is not a very professional agency.
Some are, but most aren't.
The folks who do the compliance checks on FFLs, or do background investigations for the NFA stuff are polite and nice, but that is because they know their place.
The Enforcement branch (good ol' boys roundup, Ruby Ridge, Waco, and many others) are basically thugs with badges.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
anyone care to tell me a bit about being an ATF agent?  I inquired about internship at my local ATF office, got a voicemail...no reply and its been a long time...going to try back again soon.

how is ATF agent as a career?  what options would one have after putting some years in?  how hard is it to become an ATF agent?  

You refer to them as "Alphabet Boy" and are considering this as your career? Look elsewhere, it's clearly not for you. The fact that they have not replied seems to indicate that they know it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You refer to them as "Alphabet Boy" and are considering this as your career? Look elsewhere, it's clearly not for you. The fact that they have not replied seems to indicate that they know it.

? wow thats a nice comment, thanks?

I called them that , because many here use that term...its a JOKE, so DEAL WITH IT.

Yeah, I left a message on the voicemail with my name and the reason why I was calling...in reguard to a possible internship....  a LOT can be learned from listening to a simple message, obviously im not cut out for the job.  

Thanks ass
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I was an intern for a Federal Law Enf Agency for about 3.5 months, it was not with the ATF, however maybe I can shed some light or at least help you with your questions, I worked on a task force which brought me into contact with every agency, including  the DCIS (Def Criminal Investigative Services)  Now Im back in college as it was last Sum/fall and I got credit, but I did spend 50 hours a week and have some good info on what its like to be an intern for a Federal LEO. IM or email me with any questions I MIGHT be able to answer.  I dont know it all obviously, but I did get exposed to alot.  I will say this, my internship was not a "Intern, go get the coffee" type of internship, infact I never got coffee once, just a few line up print outs or DL info.  Oh yea, and there not all JBT's, just to try and dispell the myth a bit.... they two guys I was attached with were really out there to help people.  Especially when it was a Child Exploitation case.

The process is lengthy and somewhat discouraging with all the paperwork essays etc, but it is worth it if you really want to see if it is something you might want to do in the future.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I would only take a job in the FBI if they let me work on the X-Files....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ATF is not a very professional agency.
Some are, but most aren't.
The Enforcement branch (good ol' boys roundup, Ruby Ridge, Waco, and many others) are basically thugs with badges.

Oh really?  Your making this statement from what you read on here?  Or do you actually know ATF agents who you would make that statement to face to face.  There is some good old boy in every organization.  Ever worked in a Hospital? Law Firm? Very "Professional" places and that stuff goes on everywhere.  While the ATF might not have the fame of other Agencies, they still fall under the DOJ and if you know any U.S. Attorney's or have spoke with them regarding cases that the ATF brings to the USAO, they can tell you, they are just as professional as the next bunch.  Exp versus what one reads is USUALLY alot different, I know my eyes were opened during my work with a Federal Agency.  I still have respect for them, and would for sure not call them a "unprofessional agency" nor would I call the younger bunch of Federal Agents I got to work with good old boys....I would call them very cerebral for the most part.  Yea, I didnt work with every ATF guy in the State I was in for my internship, but I sure as heck would not call them a "very unprofessional agency." Sorry, I just cant stand people making blanket statements, especially when there are plenty of good agents who are, believe it or not, trying to work on cases involving illicit drugs and firearms.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top