Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2016 10:50:24 PM EDT
So the holdback bar is there (correct me if I'm wrong) for two reasons:

1.  There's really nothing holding the launch bar into the shuttle in the "forward" direction, there's only the back of the shuttle to pull the launch bar forward (if that makes sense).

2.  Even if there was, when the aircraft throttled-up for launch, it would pull a vacuum on the cat cylinder and move down the deck, ad there is noting really holding the shuttle firmly in place, there's just no steam pressure behind it yet at this point so it sits there, sort of parked.

Hence the holdback bar.  How does it release at just the right time though?

Again, I might be completely wrong on #1 and #2.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

1.  There's really nothing holding the launch bar into the shuttle in the "forward" direction, there's only the back of the shuttle to pull the launch bar forward (if that makes sense).

2.  Even if there was, when the aircraft throttled-up for launch, it would pull a vacuum on the cat cylinder and move down the deck, ad there is noting really holding the shuttle firmly in place, there's just no steam pressure behind it yet at this point so it sits there, sort of parked.

Thanks.
View Quote

It keeps the aircraft straight on the treadmill
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
No, this doesn't violate OPSEC at all....
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't a member go to jail for blabbing about tank tech?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like I've been told this. I believe it actually breaks at a defined tension, or uses a shear pin.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#5]
It happens in the Danger zone
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea, we'll lose WWIII for *sure* if someone answers this one.  It's the final piece of the puzzle that the enemy needs.

Are you seriously fucking kidding me?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf1N-PyJddk
Go to 3:48.

When the launch bar drops into the shuttle it's being held down by hydraulic pressure.
Then they hook up the holdback bar.
After that the cat goes into tension, (shuttle is pressurized), that's what "holds" the launch bar in place.
When the cat pressure is released the holdback fitting breaks, the holdback bar stays and the holdback fitting "breaks", the part of the holdback fitting stays in the holdback or else falls into the sea.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a consumable, rated for aircraft weight that breaks and falls away.

Edit: Beat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I learned something from that vid!  I didn't know they were resettable and reusable!

When my uncle was telling me about his F-8 days it was a consumable part.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

The cat is the entrance ramp for the highway to the danger zone.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:28:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is dicussed, in detailin the novel "Flight of the Intruders."

All you have to do is search and read, dumbass.  GD is god, but for general info.......
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:45:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean the NG tanker who posted (and tried to contact Al-Qaeda) about "weak points" in the M1 armor and was sent to prison?

OP's question is not really on that level....
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:45:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

All you have to do is search and read, dumbass.  GD is god, but for general info.......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's going a little far man—relax. This is hardly the dumbest question asked in GD, and it's pretty easy to get a layman's term explanation here since this place is crawling with vets.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:05:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's going a little far man—relax. This is hardly the dumbest question asked in GD, and it's pretty easy to get a layman's term explanation here since this place is crawling with vets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a"vet," and I learned what I know from reading the "Intruder" novels. Rcket surgery, man. Engeneering and technology, go!
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:16:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm a"vet," and I learned what I know from reading the "Intruder" novels. Rcket surgery, man. Engeneering and technology, go!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I'm a vet, too. I'd probably be inclined to ask this question here since I've never read said book and would have no idea the information requested would be available therein. That's why people ask questions here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:22:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well I'm a vet, too. I'd probably be inclined to ask this question here since I've never read said book and would have no idea the information requested would be available therein. That's why people ask questions here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where as I would be inclined to search, and show less of my ignorance, but to each their own.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:47:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh for fucks sake what a shit fest this thread turned into.

Thanks KA3B for the quick and simple answer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:04:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You mean the NG tanker who posted (and tried to contact Al-Qaeda) about "weak points" in the M1 armor and was sent to prison?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF? Seriously? How the hell did I miss that shit show? Link? Or did it get disappeared?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:06:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
WTF? Seriously? How the hell did I miss that shit show? Link? Or did it get disappeared?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's pretty old shit. "Rebel Grey" or some spelling to that effect. It was just post 9/11.

Fuck that guy. *spit*
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Now it makes sense.
But would still rather jump out of airplanes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:43:54 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Who are the folks on the side in shiny suits?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:51:51 AM EDT
[#24]
One of the very first parts I machined as a baby machinist 30 years ago was the launch bar, as we called it. I'm guessing this is the same part.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:03:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Hydraulics and stuff.

As hydraulic fluid exits pressure chamber 20, plunger head 43 moves relative to housing 19 and the volume within pressure chamber 20 decreases. A corresponding increase in volume in receiving chamber 47 occurs simultaneously. As housing 19 moves relative to plunger 51, collet body 33 is extended beyond collet ring 32. When collet body has moved approximately 1.1 inches relative to collet ring 32, hooks 42 are no longer locked in position and lose their grasp of collet body 33 thereby releasing the aircraft to begin its take-off run under full engine power and maximum catapult thrust.
View Quote

So sayeth the patent on the doohickey.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:28:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Where as I would be inclined to search, and show less of my ignorance, but to each their own.

View Quote

Are you and OPSEC guy in a contest to see who can be a bigger dick?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Is it true that we're the only nation to make these things work well?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

France
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Seems like I've been told this. I believe it actually breaks at a defined tension, or uses a shear pin.
View Quote

I don't know the exact details but it breaks away at a preset tension.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Royal Navy did quite well until they ceded the field to the USN and Marine Nationale; and may return to it since their new carriers have provisions for later installation of cats and wires.  Australia and Canada did well with British methods, British boats and US aircraft.

Brazil is making a go of it with a French boat and US planes.

Russia and China are trying to figure it out.  India is hoping they do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Didn't watch the video but i can assume you mean the fire party?  Those are called proximity suits. so they can run through flames (not for long to be sure) to save the pilot who might be trapped.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#32]
They use magnets now on the new carriers.

So I'm going to go with magnets on a stationary treadmill.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#33]
When I was in PLAT, and wore the green shirt, they were machined for a specific breaking point for each model of aircraft.
The guys in V2 would toss the remaining broken piece over the side.
Some planes needed more thrust before the cat stroke, others like the Hummer, seemed to lift off all gentle like.
But that was in the late 70's
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Has somewhat of a depiction of the mechanical system.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yea, we'll lose WWIII for *sure* if someone answers this one.  It's the final piece of the puzzle that the enemy needs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

any tech that helps the enemy advance their capabilities or exposes ours, should not be shared.  One bit of intel may be worthless, but when you get enough of these harmless items, you get a bigger picture that could be damaging.

secret is secret. You don't get to decide if it is worth being secret or not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Somewhat off topic....If the catapult was broken, are the carriers long enough for a fighter to take off using the length of the carrier?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Somewhat off topic....If the catapult was broken, are the carriers long enough for a fighter to take off using the length of the carrier?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

any tech that helps the enemy advance their capabilities or exposes ours, should not be shared.  One bit of intel may be worthless, but when you get enough of these harmless items, you get a bigger picture that could be damaging.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this somehow secret info? I was assured that anyone who knows anything already read about this in flight of the intruder.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh good times.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Didn't watch the video but i can assume you mean the fire party?  Those are called proximity suits. so they can run through flames (not for long to be sure) to save the pilot who might be trapped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda.

Proximity fire gear is  aluminized and reflective to allow you to get close enough to a fuel fire to be able to reach it with an effective fire stream. Even upwind, radiant heat can't be beat.

Entry suits are much thicker with a different hood and allow you to be immersed in flame for up to a minute or so. Only application I have ever seen them is in petrochemical industry where being able to access a valve engulfed in fire would be needed (as an example).
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not secret anymore.  Hillary already gave it to the Russians and Chicoms.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Fighters can not, but C-130s and U-2s can.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Interesting...Thanks Medic!

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#46]
The real rush is to be between the forward cats during a launch

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

This, there is a pre-tension put on the shuttle prior to the actual launch. A friend of mine had a bowl of holdback pin on his coffee table for different types of aircraft he worked on, on the boat.

The paint in the center section is supposed to flake off when the right tension is applied. Part of hooking the plane up is for the final checker to look for that BEFORE exiting from under the aircraft.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it were secret wouldn't the deck apes, I mean Cat crew need security clearance?
Wouldn't the Navy prohibit crew members from keeping the broken pins as souvenirs?
(I had a pin from my 100th launch as a checker shirt but it didn't make it home)
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#49]
This explains why the aircraft squat before launch.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This, there is a pre-tension put on the shuttle prior to the actual launch. A friend of mine had a bowl of holdback pin on his coffee table for different types of aircraft he worked on, on the boat.

The paint in the center section is supposed to flake off when the right tension is applied. Part of hooking the plane up is for the final checker to look for that BEFORE exiting from under the aircraft.

http://www.maritime.org/doc/catapult/img/fig3-14.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.maritime.org/doc/catapult/img/fig3-14.jpg

Holy shit man, you just gave our enemies information classified as "secret". You violated OPSEC man. Fuck what are we gonna do now?!?!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top