Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 5:41:38 PM EDT
So we had a jump yesterday that was light tac.  no weapon day jump that was great.  Then we got the bird again today so they said.  eh we are going for a fun jump.  I liked the way that sounded.  c130 one door(was a med bird) and we jumped playboy/hollywood hell yes I say.  then they said.  probably won't get a better chance so bring your cameras if you want.  So Im light as a feather anyway and it was windy as hell.  so I go shooting towards the trees.  I hit the ground right in front of the woodline and my shoot drug me straight over to the trees and stuff.

I drop my cam to my side and at some point it hits my arm and shuts itself off.  
media.putfile.com/chalk-3-me

these are the 2 sticks before me get a pretty good view of the exit.
media.putfile.com/chalk-1
media.putfile.com/chalk-2
im aware they load slow but give them a chance and come back to them.

this is all at malamute drop zone ft richardson alaska.  Im with the 4-25 1-501 (geronimo)
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
AWESOME

Thanks Nick, worth the wait!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#3]
yesterday wasn't so grand.  got dragged along ways and my ruck didn't want to fall.  aparently my lowering line got all gagled fucked up and ended up stopping right by my shins.  would have hurt me real bad had it not come free when I was kicking the crap outa it.  I love my job at times.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Cherry...

Unless you are or were part of the 509th Infantry, you have no right to call yourself a Geronimo.

I was: 1/509 (ABN), 79-81, Vicenza Italy.

By the way, when did they let Jumpers carry cameras on the aircraft?

Oh, yeah:  Decent Pictures.  Ah, heck... they were better than the ones we used to sneak.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the memories.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hey Cherry...

Unless you are or were part of the 509th Infantry, you have no right to call yourself a Geronimo.

well let me say..yes I am a cherry.  this was the 10th jump to my name.  not so hot.  but I will also say that I take pride in my unit.  the 1-501 jumped into normandy during dday.  they jumped into holland and kicked tail there too.  they also jumped into the hells highway during the bridge to far scenario.  My unit was the first to arrive in bastogne were they stoped 7 divisions dead in the tracks(one of the highest merrits to our name)  
yea pretty sure I will yell geronimo loud and proud each and every jump.  and the 3-509 are pansys.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I sense..what is that...ive seen it before.  normally used to downplay someone...gosh I know what it is I swear.  sarcasm maybe?  Just thought I would share my fun and you have to hate.

my section sergeant picked up his senior wings today.  so that was good.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#11]
how many did you log before getting out?  I would love to grab a senior wreath.  Its kinda hard up here we don't get near as many jumps as the bragg guys.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
how many did you log before getting out?  I would love to grab a senior wreath.  Its kinda hard up here we don't get near as many jumps as the bragg guys.

Hell, we didnt get that many jumps either.  We were almost always pay hurts at Bragg
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Rub it in would you

FREE

Quoted:

this was the 10th jump to my name

Wow!  I only have one jump.    

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Just a typical Airborne day

FREE

Quoted:
yesterday wasn't so grand.  got dragged along ways and my ruck didn't want to fall.  aparently my lowering line got all gagled fucked up and ended up stopping right by my shins.  would have hurt me real bad had it not come free when I was kicking the crap outa it.  I love my job at times.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#16]
it seems like we are always hurting for jump masters and safties up here.  I will gladly go when they let me
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hey Cherry...

Oh, yeah:  Decent Pictures.  Ah, heck... they were better than the ones we used to sneak.

Ahhh, loved those runs up and down Mount Berrico?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey Cherry...

Ahhh, loved those runs up and down Mount Berrico?

Slightly before my time.  On the other hand I did those Volks Marches come Sundays.

Up and down those hills were nasty!  Marostica, if I'm spelling it right, was one of the meaner trips.

Did you ever do the Vincenza Marathon?  I did one year.  I had CQ duty the night before.  And I got rained on.  I was a mess when it was all over.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm just a leg, but those are some cool f'n vids. Thanks for sharing! Oh Yeah...Hooah!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#20]
The Official Nickname of the 509th is The Geronimo's

Check out their history

First American Parachute Assault for starters.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I know the italian 1-509 was a bunch of bad boys.  The 1-501 and 3-509 up here in alaska both pull the geronimo.  for a good while we were the only airborne guys up here.  but they started up the whole brigade combat crap so here we all are.  I would love to be stationed in italy...as long as I don't get into a wreck there.  have heard of some crazy laws.

anyway you look at it..I call it with pride because I have pride in what they have done in the past.  my grandpa was in the 506th and I still think he might be the greatest man alive.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#22]
vid from yesterday.  Was having a bit to much fun yesterday.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6694846591834196444
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quick memories:

During the entire time I was there I only heard the phrase “Mama Mia” spoken once.  And that was on the bus ride from Aviano to the Base.

Weekends are Sunday and Monday.

Civilian lunch time is from noon until 1500.

There is no such thing as 4:00 PM in Europe.  They use a 24 hour clock over there.

There are few other things about Italy, excepting things like the ever present haze there, that I’ve forgotten about.  It has been 25 years since I was last there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell, we didnt get that many jumps either.  We were almost always pay hurts at Bragg

Not us - I had 26, and I was there for a little over 2 years - and I didn't jump as often as the company for various reasons.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not us - I had 26, and I was there for a little over 2 years - and I didn't jump as often as the company for various reasons.

325 and 504 here.  Seems like we were always in Area J, NTA, or some off-post deployment when everyone else was jumping.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#27]
That's pretty cool.  I tried to beg, borrow, cheat, and steal to get assigned up there when I went active duty.  Unfortunately, I was already on-assignment to Lewis for a lifecycle here, which rather sucks.  I hate the cold, but I'd deal with it to jump.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#28]
jumpig is great and all but I would have probably taken ft lewis.  If you go airborne head for bragg.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I wish I could say, "I love my job!", the way you say it, and mean it like you do.

That looks too fun.  What a rush.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I did three jumps in BAC and loved each of 'em every bit as much as Nick...until that last landing when I let my attention drift and let my feet and knees come apart.  The sound of breaking bones brings you back to reality real effing fast.   End of military career.  Not quite completely, but it went  out in a slow, drawn out, and painful whimper after that.

To be able to jump in that sort of beautiful scenery would be cooler than cool.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#31]
in jump schhool I had somewhat close to an experience like that.  Not so much a lack in discipline or letting my mind slip but just so many not cool situations put into one.  The short version goes Sky shark steals air.  I hit sharks parachute.  Wind is very high.  Smash into the ground get knocked out and drug untill I wake up to a sergeant airborne screaming if Im ok.  Hyper concusion and 2 week layover for another chance to jump.  Makes you fear the power of falling out of airplanes.  Im always extra carefull to have a perfect exit and as best a plf as I can.

I do mean it when I say I love my job.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
jumpig is great and all but I would have probably taken ft lewis.  If you go airborne head for bragg.

Yeah, well, I was just trying to jump again ... I wanted absolutely nothing to do with being assigned to a leg cavalry unit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#33]
put in a packet.  do you have your airborne tab yet?  go they always want more paratroopers.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#34]
 here's to all you brother 'troopers out there.....

and especially to those of the "Nickle Oh Nasty"!!!

All the Way!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
put in a packet.  do you have your airborne tab yet?  go they always want more paratroopers.

I've been airborne qualified since 2002.  But I'm stuck in a lifecycle unit, and stabilized until Feb 2008 at the soonest.

I spoke personally with my branch manager about getting assigned up there, bofore coming here.  He was excited, and about to do it.  Then he saw I was on-assignment here, and stabilized, and wasn't able to do anything about it.  SOL
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#36]
thats suckin man.  Im not going anywhere but the sandbox from here untill 08 the same.  reup and Im outa here but its not all bad.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Airborne!!!!!!!!!!! Old Master Parachutist here, been off jump status for the last four years but hope to jump again before I retire.

Maybe I'll take a camera too.

God I love privates.............
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:44:49 AM EDT
[#38]
For the record there was 2 ssg's and an lt on the same bird with cameras.  

And I love me too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
For the record there was 2 ssg's and an lt on the same bird with cameras.  

And I love me too.

I meant I love privates because they always come up with fun shit to do. Not meant as a slame in the least. I have done the still camera thing, just never busted out the video camera.

I did get video footage of some jumps, just left the camera in the bird though....

Keep your feet and knees together.......
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I love that part of my rank as well.  I do my job without question but since im not leading anyone else I can have a bit of fun as long as it doesn't get in the way of my mission.  We started playing the circle game.  where you try to hold your thumb and pointer finger in a circle under your belt and if the other soldier stares at it on accident its either a punch in the arm or thigh.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
We started playing the circle game.  where you try to hold your thumb and pointer finger in a circle under your belt and if the other soldier stares at it on accident its either a punch in the arm or thigh.

I know a couple of SSGs and an SFC who do this, as well ...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top