Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2004 9:24:59 AM EDT
I decided to have a treat Sunday afternoon, so I went to "IN -N- OUT" burgers for the first time, because I kept hearing about how good it was?

I ordered the number #1 double burger with onions, fries and med. drink

to tell the truth I wasnt impressed, there wasnt anything special about it? the two beef patties were so tiny and only about 1/4" of an inch thick? the fries were very dry...

I prefer a McDonalds quarter pounder with cheese better or the Mc DLT or what ever it's called? I dont even think they make that one anymore? I havent been there in over two years...

the Carl's JR. Six Dollar burger wit onions is even better, IMHO
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I never heard of in n out till I saw Big Labowski...
Hard to beat that worm meat at Mcdonalds..
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I ate there a few times while I was working in CA.  I wasn't all that impressed either.  Similar to Steak and Shake here in GA.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#3]
HERETIC........BURN

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I miss whataburger!!!!  I lived in Houston they were all over the place..We dont have em here.I dont eat much fast food either its so far to drive I just cant...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The In-and-Out Burger is on Camrose.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Love them Double Doubles, wish one was around here.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#7]
YOU DID IT WRONG!!!

you're supposed to get a 3x3 animal style with grilled onions.  (there is an in n out secret menu)

here it is...

Animal Style: Burgers are cooked with mustard. Pickles, extra spread and grilled onions are added.

Protein Style: Same as other the burgers, except that instead of a bun you get the sandwich wrapped in lettuce.

Flying Dutchman: Two beef patties and two slices of cheese. Nothing else...not even a bun.

2 by 4: Two beef patties and four slices of cheese.

3 by 3: Three beef patties and three slices of cheese.

4 by 4: Four beef patties and four slices of cheese.

100 by 100: Legend has it that this was ordered by a group of four celebrating a birthday.

500 by 500: An unconfirmed order made by a fraternity.

Grilled Cheese: Hamburger without the beef patty.

Veggie Burger: Hamburger without the beef patty or cheese.

Double Meat: Double-Double without the cheese.

On the Sal: This is just lettuce and dressing. Nothing else.

Fries Well-Done: Extra crispy fries that may rival the original version.

Neopolitan Shake: A custom mixture of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry shake flavors.

Home Run: This is when a car passes by the microphone without ordering and cruises right up to the service window.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

NEAR the In-n-Out!

And yeah, In-N-Out is good.  Very similar to Arctic Roadrunner burgers here in Anchorage.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I decided to have a treat Sunday afternoon, so I went to "IN -N- OUT" burgers for the first time, because I kept hearing about how good it was?

to tell the truth I wasnt impressed, there wasnt anything special about it? the two beef patties were so tiny and only about 1/4" of an inch thick? the fries were very dry...

I prefer a McDonalds quarter pounder with cheese better or the Mc DLT or what ever it's called? I dont even think they make that one anymore? I havent been there in over two years...

the Carl's JR. Six Dollar burger wit onions is even better, IMHO

Please explain how you 'went without fast food for two years', broke your fast with IN-N-OUT yesterday afternoon, then claim to have culinary experience with Carl's year-old(?) Six Dollar burger.

I smell something, and it isn't Fast Food.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NEAR the In-n-Out!

And yeah, In-N-Out is good.  Very similar to Arctic Roadrunner burgers here in Anchorage.

Those are good burgers, Walter.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
YOU DID IT WRONG!!!

you're supposed to get a 3x3 animal style with grilled onions.  (there is an in n out secret menu)

here it is...

Animal Style: Burgers are cooked with mustard. Pickles, extra spread and grilled onions are added.

Protein Style: Same as other the burgers, except that instead of a bun you get the sandwich wrapped in lettuce.

Flying Dutchman: Two beef patties and two slices of cheese. Nothing else...not even a bun.

2 by 4: Two beef patties and four slices of cheese.

3 by 3: Three beef patties and three slices of cheese.

4 by 4: Four beef patties and four slices of cheese.

100 by 100: Legend has it that this was ordered by a group of four celebrating a birthday.

500 by 500: An unconfirmed order made by a fraternity.

Grilled Cheese: Hamburger without the beef patty.

Veggie Burger: Hamburger without the beef patty or cheese.

Double Meat: Double-Double without the cheese.

On the Sal: This is just lettuce and dressing. Nothing else.

Fries Well-Done: Extra crispy fries that may rival the original version.

Neopolitan Shake: A custom mixture of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry shake flavors.

Home Run: This is when a car passes by the microphone without ordering and cruises right up to the service window.

+1

You got to know what to order. I recommend a double double animal style.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Please explain how you 'went without fast food for two years', broke your fast with IN-N-OUT yesterday afternoon, then claim to have culinary experience with Carl's year-old(?) Six Dollar burger.

I can tell you for a fact that the Six Dollar Burgers are a sales item over 3 years old. The 'Thickburger' advertising, however, is not.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#13]
In-n-Out is not very good.  Plenty of better options out there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#14]
My experience at an In-N-Out somewhere along the PCH North of SanLuisObisbo:

(In-N-Out takes your first name to call out your order)
girl behind counter (GBC):  "Michelle, your order's ready!"
middle aged Mexican migrant worker dude (WB)  walks up to counter.
GBC:  "Are you michelle?"
WB walks away.
GBC:  "Chris, order's up!"
WB comes up to counter, sees that this is not his order, sits back down .
GBC: "Andrea, here's your order!"
My wife walks up to get order, so does WB
Wife looks at WB with a "dude, are you mental?" expression.
minute later.
GBC " Ricardo?!?"

WB goes to get his meal.

I wish I was there when they took his order.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#15]
--Real ground beef
--Sponge dough bun
--Nothing frozen
--Oil for fries non-saturated
--secret menu to get it "Your Way"
--real ice cream shakes

We've now got an In-N-Out a block away and always hit the one in Lancaster on the way to Mammoth.  Mostly a cheeseburger with onion here and I pitch the lettuce on any hamburger.

Here is their web site claim

Our hamburgers are made from fresh, 100% pure beef. They are free of additives, fillers and preservatives of any kind, and we buy only chucks, the front ribs and shoulder. No other parts are ever used. Our butchers carefully hand-cut and grind the beef in our own facility at which point the patties are shipped directly to our stores in refrigerated trucks by our own drivers. This way we have total control over the production of every burger.

Our commitment to freshness doesn’t stop there. Our lettuce is hand-leafed. Our American cheese is the real thing. And we use the plumpest, juiciest tomatoes we can find. All of our ingredients are delivered fresh to our stores. In fact, we don’t even own a microwave, heat lamp, or freezer. We even bake our buns using old-fashioned, slow-rising sponge dough. And we make every burger one at a time, cooked fresh to order.

Of course,  what's a great burger without great fries? At In-N-Out, we know a french fry is only as good as the  potato it comes from. That’s why we use the highest grade potatoes and ship them fresh from the farm. Then we cut them right in the store, one potato at a time. And cook them in 100% pure, cholesterol-free vegetable oil. To top it all off, we also make our delicious shakes from real ice cream – just like we used to make at the first In-N-Out back in 1948. We wouldn’t do it any other way. Because when it comes to burgers, fries and shakes, getting fresh is a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:Please explain how you 'went without fast food for two years', broke your fast with IN-N-OUT yesterday afternoon, then claim to have culinary experience with Carl's year-old(?) Six Dollar burger.

I didnt keep an exact date to the last time I ate at a fast food joint, but I know it's been over a year and a half, closer to two years?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#17]

In-n-Out is not very good. Plenty of better options out there.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
In-n-Out is not very good.  Plenty of better options out there.

Thems fightin' words!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NEAR the In-n-Out!

Those are good burgers, Walter.

We will go down there after the what have you.  The kid should be a pushover.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#21]
HERETICS! BURN THEM!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
www.vaq34.com/junk/nouturge.jpg

I was about to point out highschool just wouldn't have been the same wihtout an "in-n-out urge" bumpersticker on every car in the student parking lot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#23]
The double double with grilled onions is the least you should get.  They are fresh but much smaller than they used to be.  .  but other than that they aren't  significantly better than any other fresh made burger.  But they are head and shoulders against anything that has been sitting for any time at all.
The fries depend on who makes them, usually aren't that good.

Tommy Burgers Forever
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#24]
We have an In-N-Out about 3 miles from here, conveniently next door to a Sportsman's Warehouse. I'd never tried them before I moved to AZ.

Their burgers are alright, nothing to write home about. Their fries, however, are pretty good, IMO.

And it DOESN'T HOLD A CANDLE to Steak -N-Shake. Not even close-at least with the Steak-N-Shakes in St. Louis.(We don't have them in AZ)

There's a lot of places that can make a pretty decent burger, but believe it or not, my GF's B-I-L makes the most ass kicking burgers I've ever had. Honestly. I keep trying to get him to get a permit and open a stand at one of the local lakes or parks. Between his burgers and my jambalaya we'd make a killing.

Then there's White Castles.......................
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I worked at In-N-Out #10 (Panorama City) when I was in high school.  Everything is fresh on those burgers.  I used to wash and tear lettuce, slice tomatoes and prep (soak) the potatoes before they sliced them.  Great job, lots of drunk women wanting something more than a burger on the weekends, $8.00 an hour (in 1984) and a free meal every shift...  

Oh, no In-N-Out burger is complete without a chocolate/vanilla shake mixed to go with it!

EAM  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

In-n-Out is not very good. Plenty of better options out there.

www.norcalmovies.com/InvasionOfTheBodySnatchers/invasion23.jpg

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I worked at In-N-Out #10 (Panorama City) when I was in high school.  Everything is fresh on those burgers.  I used to wash and tear lettuce, slice tomatoes and prep (soak) the potatoes before they sliced them.  Great job, lots of drunk women wanting something more than a burger on the weekends, $8.00 an hour (in 1984) and a free meal every shift...  

Oh, no In-N-Out burger is complete without a chocolate/vanilla shake mixed to go with it!

EAM  

I spoke with a guy working at any IN&OUT Burgers, and they would go thru something 1,000lbs of potatoes every couple of days.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Secret Menu

Hmmm, Animal... fancy that. And I'll be in CA next week! Righteous!

<rant>Do people still use frames?</rant>
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#29]
The 3x3 Animal Style kicks butt!

Try ordering your fries Animal Style! AWESOME! They add cheese, mustard, grilled onions and pickles....Very messy, but worth it!

ETA: They also have Bible verses on their wrappers and drink cups....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Every In N Out I've been to has always been crowded no matter the time of day. Of course lunch time it's worse but there is always a line in the drive through and inside as well. This says something about the quality of their product.

For having 140+ *family owned* restaurants they are head and shoulders above any other fast food chain - almost all of which are franchises and as such variable in quality.

I thought it was a God send when they opened one about 3 blocks from my house. Unfortunately this one is always packed but when I sink my teeth into that double meat animal style it's worth it.

Oh, and an In N Out burger should always be ordered animal style!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I had Wedneys today, it was about my only choice at 10pm options are limited
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Double chili bacon cheese burger with extra onions.

Quoted:
Tommy Burgers Forever

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
For having 140+ *family owned* restaurants they are head and shoulders above any other fast food chain - almost all of which are franchises and as such variable in quality.

The "family-owned" is pretty much a facade today. Many of the family members that originally ran the company was killed in a airplane crash a few years back. The mom is the sole-surviving family member, and there had been rumors in the past few years, that she wants to sell the chain. The company used to be based in Baldwin Park, Kali-fornia(20 miles east of L.A.). The company would not be the same, when it is a part of huge company. All of the stores are 100% company owned. There are zero franchised stores at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I hate In-n-out. Their burgers are always pink!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I am just scared of the name In-Out...Burger??? I would like it to stay in my stomach for a lil bit.

MT
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I miss whataburger!!!!  I lived in Houston they were all over the place..We dont have em here.I dont eat much fast food either its so far to drive I just cant...

Hate them too....their burgers are always cold.

While I'm at it, Sonic sucks too!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I prefer a McDonalds quarter pounder with cheese better

Ditto.  I had a project just outside of Sacramento for a few weeks, so I got to eat at an In-N-Out Burger for the first (and last) time.

Not impressed.  McD's double quarter-pounder w/cheese beats it hands down, and the fries are better, too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
We have an In-N-Out about 3 miles from here, conveniently next door to a Sportsman's Warehouse. I'd never tried them before I moved to AZ.

Their burgers are alright, nothing to write home about. Their fries, however, are pretty good, IMO.

And it DOESN'T HOLD A CANDLE to Steak -N-Shake. Not even close-at least with the Steak-N-Shakes in St. Louis.(We don't have them in AZ)

There's a lot of places that can make a pretty decent burger, but believe it or not, my GF's B-I-L makes the most ass kicking burgers I've ever had. Honestly. I keep trying to get him to get a permit and open a stand at one of the local lakes or parks. Between his burgers and my jambalaya we'd make a killing.

Then there's White Castles.......................

We were just at that exact location Saturday night. After buying bullets from Sportsman's, of course. You must live real close to us.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Ohh baby, I just love the pink ones, the pinker the better.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you still talking about burgers?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I just thought of something, I should make

2 Half pund burger patties
12 pieces of bacon
3 pieces of bread
8 slices of cheese
2 slices of country ham

Anything else need to be put on this?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

There went all credibility.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you still talking about burgers?

Of course, what else would I be thing about?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#44]
You sir have insulted me!! I live about 5 minutes from an In-N-Out. Like Freeride21a said, YOU DID IT ALL WRONG!! You MUST know the little secrets of In-N-Out like animal style and the 4x4 to truly appreciate the beauty of In-N-Out. Whenever I go there, I get a 4x4 animal style, no pickles, AND animal style fries. Animal style fries are SOOOOOO good, you just have no idea. Try again, cause you failed this time...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone tried a Frugal Burger in Port Angeles, Washington?

MT
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come to AZ and try our Sonic. If your burger is hot and the cheese is melted, or your hot dog isn't rubbery, and you're not hovering over the ceramic god at midnight, I'll give you 50 bucks!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#47]
I tried an In-and-Out burger place in Vegas. I was taken there by a buddy of mine who was from Cali and loved the food, so I was expecting the best burger joint on the planet. When we drove up to the mic and I looked at the menu, I was very upset. 5 things on the menu, and between $5-$8 each? Hell no!!! With those prices, I was expecting it to be served to me by half naked hottie. Well as far as I can remember the fries were almost raw and the burger could have come from McDonalds and I wouldn't have noticed the difference. Of course when I didn't accept the "In-and-Out culture" BS I was labeled a heretic and I never went back (thank God).
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come to AZ and try our Sonic. If your burger is hot and the cheese is melted, or your hot dog isn't rubbery, and you're not hovering over the ceramic god at midnight, I'll give you 50 bucks!

Hmm I can eat some low quality stuff, sounds like a easy $50
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The "family-owned" is pretty much a facade today. Many of the family members that originally ran the company was killed in a airplane crash a few years back. The mom is the sole-surviving family member, and there had been rumors in the past few years, that she wants to sell the chain. The company used to be based in Baldwin Park, Kali-fornia(20 miles east of L.A.). The company would not be the same, when it is a part of huge company. All of the stores are 100% company owned. There are zero franchised stores at the moment.

If In N Out ever becomes a franchise I will cease to eat there the moment I find out. I am certain that the quality will turn to shit if and when that happens, and sadly I think it is just a matter of time.

Oh, and In N Out is actually cheaper and 10X better than any of the franchised places. If I get 4 orders of burger combos and get the same kind of combos at Burger King or McDonalds, et al, I'd end up paying about $5 more for the whole thing. Not a huge difference, but still more expensive and not as good quality.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
You sir have insulted me!! I live about 5 minutes from an In-N-Out. Like Freeride21a said, YOU DID IT ALL WRONG!! You MUST know the little secrets of In-N-Out like animal style and the 4x4 to truly appreciate the beauty of In-N-Out. Whenever I go there, I get a 4x4 animal style, no pickles, AND animal style fries. Animal style fries are SOOOOOO good, you just have no idea. Try again, cause you failed this time...

does "animal style" cost more than whats on the regular menu??

do all "IN -N- OUT" burger joints have a secret menu?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top