Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2012 3:17:45 AM EDT
does anyone know where i can find an adapter cable to go from a usb off my laptop to a component in put to a t.v.?  i just suck at google i guess b/c i cant seem to find it. im trying to go froma dell 1545 to an older hdtv if it matters.  any help or tips on setup would be really great also.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:49:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I recently did the same thing.
I ended up using s-video to connect to an older analog TV. You can find lots of cords on Ebay to go from a compoter to a TV. You can not go from a digital signal to an analog TV or the TV wont recognise the info. If your TV is a High Deff then you may be able to use the USB and HDMI outputs.
On older TV's with RCA and S-video inputs only the HD will not work without a converter box to change the signal.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
does anyone know where i can find an adapter cable to go from a usb off my laptop to a component in put to a t.v.?  i just suck at google i guess b/c i cant seem to find it. im trying to go froma dell 1545 to an older hdtv if it matters.  any help or tips on setup would be really great also.

What are you wanting to display on the TV?  

You can't send video out over USB..., but if your TV has a USB port, you could possibly view pictures from the laptop (I've seen this feature advertised on newer model TV's).

If you want to send video from the laptop (as in use the TV as a bigger monitor), you'll have to use a video out port on the laptop (ie. VGA, HDMI, DVI....).
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Your laptop should have a video port (VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc). You can use the appropriate converter if necessary. If you have to, you can get a USB -> VGA adapter and then VGA -> Component. All the converters you need are available at the link I provided.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you wanting to display on the TV?  

You can't send video out over USB..., but if your TV has a USB port, you could possibly view pictures from the laptop (I've seen this feature advertised on newer model TV's).

If you want to send video from the laptop (as in use the TV as a bigger monitor), you'll have to use a video out port on the laptop (ie. VGA, HDMI, DVI....).

This.

Generally, I just the HDMI output from the laptop to any of the 3 HDMI inputs on the TV.

If it is an older laptop, it may only have a VGA port, in which case any old VGA cable will work. And then you'll need a separate audio cable (like a double ended mini stereo jack cable).

I'd be surprised to still see a TV that doesn't have both VGA and HDMI inputs, unless you got it at Goodwill.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]
yup, im an idiot. i need to go from vga to component. sorrry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top