Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:49:59 PM EDT
My kids have acne pretty badly.  We've tried a few of the over the counter items.  It seems if they wash their face religiously with Noxzema [sp?] this keeps it at bay the best but over all their face is still very broke out.  Anyone else have acne?  I guess I was fortunate that I didn't have it as a teenager.

Patty
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I went to the doctor when I was in 8th and he gave me some pills that worked wonders.  Sorry I can't be more help than that, it was a long time ago.  Best advice I can give is to hit the doctor up and if he can't figure it out head for a dermatoligist.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#2]
accutane works pretty well, but it will come back after a few years.

if you don't want to use the "nuclear option" then try getting some prescription topicals.  the OTC stuff never worked for me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Pro active solution works great for me.  I used it once when I could afford it when I was 16, it was awesome, but its on average 12 bucks for a 2 week bottle of face cleaner.  Now that Im 24 and I can afford it, I use it everyday.  My acne was never that bad, and now its pretty much non existant except for the few that pop up at the most inopportune time.

Id give Pro Active solution a try if I were you
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
accutane works pretty well, but it will come back after a few years.

if you don't want to use the "nuclear option" then try getting some prescription topicals.  the OTC stuff never worked for me.

+1 on the Accutane. It can have some mild side effects, but it works wonders. If you don't have insurance that will cover it, it's like $400 for 30 day supply and you have to go for blood work every other week IIRC. But, it works. I hate to say it, but the crap you have to go through is worth not being called pizza face for your school career. I was smart and went to the dermatologist when I first started breaking out. (Around 7th grade) Hope this helps.

Kris
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
If it is truly acne, they need a dermatologist.  I had it and because I had a great doc you can't tell.  It requires prescription strength meds and a diet change (the doc will give you a list of all the foods that make it worse).
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Klear Action is the only thing that worked for me. Ever. And by golly did it work. It's $20 for a package, but that should last a good long while and it's worth it. Wash face with warm water, rub in first cream, let it sit a minute, then rinse it off and dry. Rub the astrigent on dry face with a tissue or cotton ball, let air dry. Then just before bed apply the second cream and you're done.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#7]
my aunt swears by clean pillowcases and washcloths every night

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Take them to the dermatologist.  Even if the acne gets under control, you don't want to risk permanent scarring.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Take them to the dermatologist.  Even if the acne gets under control, you don't want to risk permanent scarring.

+1
Get accutane, and don't believe all the scary shit people tell you.
It is bunk.
Just make sure your kids drink a lot of water.
Accutane dehydrates you pretty well, and your lips will chap and peel unless you drink at least half a gallon a day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
It is bunk.
Accutane dehydrates you pretty well, and your lips will chap and peel unless you drink at least half a gallon a day.

Wife was on accutane when she was in high school.
Doc warned her about side effects.  
She was only allowed to use it for so long.

It has been linked to suicides.  
(has this been disproven?)

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
It is bunk.

Wife was on accutane when she was in high school.
Doc warned her about side effects.  
She was only allowed to use it for so long.

It has been linked to suicides.  
(has this been disproven?)

Suicide rate of accutane users is lower than the general population.  Acne itself causes depression.  The other issue with accutane in youngsters is premature closure of growth plates.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Tea Tree Oil seems to work well
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to have it  on my back. Luckily for me it cleared up. I have a friend (we are both 16) who had it really bad and they gave him some pills that completely wiped all acne off of him forever. For me, if I use al ittle extra soap in the shower it doesn't show up.

Do you want me to ask my friend (Jake) what pills he got for his back?

P.S. Tell them not to scratch or rub their hands over the area that has lots of acne because the oil on their hands will cause it to be worse.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#14]
www.acne.org
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#15]
www.acne.org
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 for  Accutane.

I took it when I was 15 and it cleared me up for almost a year. It started coming back and I took another round and its been gone for 5 years now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I highly recommend Accutane.  It will cause dry lips, potentially dry skin in general.  Maybe bloodshot eyes.  Kind of messed with my night vision a little bit.  Nothing serious.

There are certain high strength derivatives of Tetracycline that work very well, also.  The only thing about them is you have to keep taking them.  Upside is it is a crapload cheaper than Accutane (total cost of something like $20 per month).

Acne doesn't have squat to do with cleanliness.  You can sandblast your face, you can wash it 30 times per day: it won't matter, it will be back.  Your kids will likely grow out of it.  I never did, thus I know about skin treatments.

Accutane will not grow your hair back.  Thus, if your kids are bald they're screwed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Acne is a buildup of bacteria in the pores. Take these measures to reduce the bacteria.

Wash pillow cases once a week.
Have a new towel for each time you shower.
Briefly wash face in shower with an anti-bacterial soap. Such as Dial hand soap, something very simple.
Then get Proactiv Solution and apply the cleanser in the shower. Rinse. Dry the water off, then apply the toner.

It may seem like alot, but its very simple to employ in your life. I can assure you the Proactiv works wonders. Jessica Simpson, Vanessa Williams, Puffy all use Proactiv.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I highly recommend Accutane.  It will cause dry lips, potentially dry skin in general.  Maybe bloodshot eyes.  Kind of messed with my night vision a little bit.  Nothing serious.

There are certain high strength derivatives of Tetracycline that work very well, also.  The only thing about them is you have to keep taking them.  Upside is it is a crapload cheaper than Accutane (total cost of something like $20 per month).

Acne doesn't have squat to do with cleanliness.  You can sandblast your face, you can wash it 30 times per day: it won't matter, it will be back.  Your kids will likely grow out of it.  I never did, thus I know about skin treatments.

Accutane will not grow your hair back.  Thus, if your kids are bald they're screwed.

Accutane!!!!!!! its worth it. see your dermotologist for specifics.

Don't go to a cheap dermotologist either.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#20]
two words, no soda
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#21]
A friend of mine had acne really bad.  He tried everything....including Pro Active.  Now he uses a product called Murad.  It has really cleared up his face.

Talk to a doctor and see what they tell you.

ETA:  Link

Murad
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Eventually you will outgrow it. I had acne when I was a teenager, and nothing really seemed to work (Retinal A, Tetracycline, etc). It's mostly gone now and undercontrol. I wash with a Neutragena facial cleanser in the shower. Clean bedding helps.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
two words, no soda

The whole sugar thing is an old wives tale. My grandfather gave my brother hell about it and it seriously pisses me off ot this day when people spout off that absolute horse shit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Another vote for Accutane.

Works wonders

Had acne through high school and continued after that until the dermatologist put me on Accutane. Yes, there are some side effects, mostly inconveniences like chapped lips, easy to get sun burned and weekly then bi-weekly blood tests.

If I had a child with bad acne, it would be Accutane all the way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank you for the suggestions.  I'll try the clean bed sheets tonight.  I would like to know some of the diet changes recommended.  

I have half a notion to make them wash their face with baby oil.  Sounds crazy but its what I wash my face with and it cleans it better than anything I've ever found.  My theroy is that by applying the oil it would teach their skin not to produce much.    Its a theroy mind you.  There are loads of kids who have it worse then they do - I would just like to see it get better and not have any scaring.  My kids are pretty good at not picking at them.  They both have black heads very badly too though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Commander Admiral Adama agrees!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a serious case of acne as a youngster.

I started taking Accutane. IIRC I couldn't have anything with caffeine in it.

Also, I was very dehydrated all the time, so +1 on drinking buckets of water. My joint also ached...  A LOT.... my knees and my back/neck especially, and a little in my elbows.

Yep...    I remember the weekly and biweekly visits to the dermatologist, the bloodwork (I'm not afraid of needles, because I got stuck often enough to get over it), the dry ice treatments, and the keloid injections (shudder).

Ya know what? It was worth it to not be called pizza face anymore.

I've still got scarring on my shoulders and back.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Tubs of tetracycline work wonders.

My brother and I had it bad when we lived in humid tropical climates. When we moved north it went away.

I think bodies are bred expecting certain conditions, which they may not be borne into. Acne is bad amongst the Scotch-Irish I've noticed.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Thank you for the suggestions.  I'll try the clean bed sheets tonight.  I would like to know some of the diet changes recommended.  

I have half a notion to make them wash their face with baby oil.  Sounds crazy but its what I wash my face with and it cleans it better than anything I've ever found.  My theroy is that by applying the oil it would teach their skin not to produce much.    Its a theroy mind you.  There are loads of kids who have it worse then they do - I would just like to see it get better and not have any scaring.  My kids are pretty good at not picking at them.  They both have black heads very badly too though.

uhh, im gonna vote NO on applying any oil to the face. Proactiv comes with a green "revitalizing toner" to do just what you want. Your theory is correct though, that if their faces are cleansed till dryness that the skin will produce more oils to replenish the skin. I would refrain from putting more oil on it alos, any product that contains alcohol is going to be bad for the skin, it will make it dryer and the skin will want to put more oil out to make up for the dryness. The revitalizing toner, refreshes the cleansed skin by re-hydrating it.

Also, "Proactiv Renewing Cleanser" will remove the blackheads. Its like a facial scrub exfoliant but of a finer quality than you can buy in stores.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

My brother and I had it bad when we lived in humid tropical climates. When we moved north it went away.

I think bodies are bred expecting certain conditions, which they may not be borne into. Acne is bad amongst the Scotch-Irish I've noticed.

IRRC, tetracycline damages the appearance of your teeth. It makes them gray looking.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Gasoline?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#32]
At 26 I still have to be careful with my face.  I have a few scars from my teenage years but it's not bad like some people's.

I used retinol as a teenager and all it did was eat my skin.  I would avoid that stuff.  It works but it takes a while and the time it takes to start working isn't very fun (no sun, skin gets flaky) plus I had to take an antibiotic while I used it which seemed kinda like overkill.

The best thing I found is just be fanatacal about your facial hygiene.  To this day I use Noxema(well the Food Lion version anyways) skin cream twice a day and I scrub with a wet hot rag (no soap) 2 or so times a day when I can.  If I soap up the rag it tends to dry my skin out a little too much for liking.

Good luck with helping your kids I know from personal experiance it can be a real battle and can have some negative emotional effects if it gets real bad (luckily I had such a great personality to overcome it LOL)

Another good thing is to avoid the grossly overgreased foods.  Pizza, bacon, etc.

EDIT:  Oh and +1 on the dermatologist.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IRRC, tetracycline damages the appearance of your teeth. It makes them gray looking.

Not to mention chronic use of antibiotics just leads to bacterial resistance.  Eventually, the drug will stop working and you'll have to use another antibiotic.  It also affects those of us who don't use antibiotics since various strains of resistant bacteria can spread from the bodies of acne patients to the general community.

I had a sinus infection last year and needed a "big gun" antibiotic to get rid of it.      
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't go with accutane.  Why risk it when they do have studies linking it to problems?  Take them to see a deromotologists.  They can get something like doxycycl or some other mild antibiotic.  Harmless aside from birth control issues and the level of dosage can be easily adjusted.

Have them drop the candy and soda from their diet also.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

uhh, im gonna vote NO on applying any oil to the face. Proactiv comes with a green "revitalizing toner" to do just what you want. Your theory is correct though, that if their faces are cleansed till dryness that the skin will produce more oils to replenish the skin. I would refrain from putting more oil on it alos, any product that contains alcohol is going to be bad for the skin, it will make it dryer and the skin will want to put more oil out to make up for the dryness. The revitalizing toner, refreshes the cleansed skin by re-hydrating it.

Also, "Proactiv Renewing Cleanser" will remove the blackheads. Its like a facial scrub exfoliant but of a finer quality than you can buy in stores.

Thanks, I'll check into that.  Patty
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Another Big +1 for Accutane

I took it when I was 15, and I never have had to go back on it. I still will occasionally get a small zit, but its more of a blue moon sort of thing.

If your kids do go on it, prepare to buy COPIUS amounts of chap stick. I still have chapped lips often, and I haven't been on it for almost 7 years now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quick solution if its extreme? Accutane.  Never done it.  My bro did and it dried his lips out so bad they bled for 1 month straight.But It will clear it up and permanently reduce it. Good if you are worried about scarring accuring now.

Don't waste any money on the antibiotic pills.  they are trash and won't work for shit and are expensive compared to results.

If you go to a Dr. demand Accutane.  If you don't have Med Ins forget Accutane it costs hundreds a month.  

The cheapest and best way to do it is to wash with Benzoyl Peroxide 10% soap.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I agree with clean sheets FWIW but it isn't going to be a major factor.

Stress is a huge factor in acne as is genetics.

I recommend a dermatologist.
Low dose daily antibiotics seem to help more than anything.

Do not overwash, or excessively dry the skin. That ain't the answer.
Use a mild soap like Tone.

Oil?
Hmmmm?
Probably won't hurt if you don't overdue. I wouldn't really expect it to help either though. I will say that different things work for different people.

Accutane?
Be cautious. It works but it is toxic, mutagenic shit and one of the few meds I will not prescribe under almost any conditions.  
Ya know, I love this kind of shit.  People are always saying, "didn't hurt me, blah, blah, blah..."
Kind of like smoking. But 40 years later, guess what?
Or how about, I drive like an asshole all the time and it hasn't hurt me yet....BANG!
And if it doesn't hurt you what about your kids, grandkids, etc.

I had a PREGNANT NURSE want this shit once and she should have known better. Hell, it's pregnancy category X!!! for crying out loud.  Even after explaining it she still wanted it. No fricking way!

There are topical things like Cleocin Tgel, Differin, etc. Not impressed but different things might work for different people. I would still favor the antibiotic route but talk it over with your dermatologist.  It will be worth it to your children if you have insurance and can afford it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Quick solution if its extreme? Accutane.  Never done it.  My bro did and it dried his lips out so bad they bled for 1 month straight.But It will clear it up and permanently reduce it. Good if you are worried about scarring accuring now.

Don't waste any money on the antibiotic pills.  they are trash and won't work for shit and are expensive compared to results.

If you go to a Dr. demand Accutane.  If you don't have Med Ins forget Accutane it costs hundreds a month.  

The cheapest and best way to do it is to wash with Benzoyl Peroxide 10% soap.  

I don't think their acne is bad enough to resort to anything that drastic yet, thankfully.  We do not have prescription coverage so if its very expensive it might be out of the question for now.  

Patty

*ETA* Thank you DrJarhead - I know just washing twice a daily religiously with noxema  helps so maybe the clean pillow cases daily would help even more, its worth a shot.  I'll ask my doctor about the antibiotics.  We're pretty tight right now financially so if there's an over the counter method - I'd like to explore it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Maybe the dietary angle is worth pursuing.   Also getting regular exercise enough to break a sweat might not be a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Maybe the dietary angle is worth pursuing.   Also getting regular exercise enough to break a sweat might not be a bad idea.

Both my kids are on thier high school basket ball teams so they get plenty of exercise!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Neither shown to have any significant impact.
If there do seem to be dietary triggers then avoid them but they are rare.

Excercise is great and will reduce stress, improve overall health, etc and may have an impact but don't expect much.  Do they shower after sports? They should.
Gentle soap, don't excessively dry the skin. It iwll cause more problems, not less.

When I was a teen, I used something called a buff puff( small facial sponge) with a little soap. Go gentle. It did seem to help a little though the derm will probably tell you it will make no difference.

Benzoyl peroxide is a first line treatment.  Pretty basic and not real impressive but what the hell, you might find a combo of things that kepp it to a dull roar.   do not make the mistake of continually applying different shit expecting a miracle overnight cure, it will only make things worse.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excercise is great and will reduce stress, improve overall health, etc and may have an impact but don't expect much.  Do they shower after sports? They should.
Gentle soap, don't excessively dry the skin. It iwll cause more problems, not less.

When I was a teen, I used something called a buff puff( small facial sponge) with a little soap. Go gentle. It did seem to help a little though the derm will probably tell you it will make no difference.

Benzoyl peroxide is a first line treatment.  Pretty basic and not real impressive but what the hell, you might find a combo of things that kepp it to a dull roar.   do not make the mistake of continually applying different shit expecting a miracle overnight cure, it will only make things worse.

My daughter showers a few hours after practice when she gets home [she's embarrassed to shower at school ]  My son showers right after practice but I doubt he uses anything other than shampoo for his hair.  I don't think he washes his face after practice.   I'll talk to them about that.  

I do think just some small personal hygene rules could help it dramatically as just using the noxema has helped a lot.   I'll look up this: Benzoyl peroxide.  Someone told me once [whose son has very severe acne] that the over the counter acne cleansers are for adult acne and only makes juvenile acne worse?

Patty
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#46]
My wife was recommended Dermologica by her doc. Kind of expensive, but it really works for her. It is an anti-bacteria face wash and doesn't use alcohol.

www.dermstore.com/profile_Dermologica_alias76.htm

BRJ
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Personally stress is most of it IMO.

I mean have teenagers ALWAYS had acne in human history?

I can't believe it was as bad/widespread as it is now.  I just think we live in a more stressful time.

While people say no pop or candy, diet JMO does have some affect.  A general eating healthy and drinking lots of water is good for the skin.  This leads to being fit, less *stressed about looking good, etc etc.

Of course the real problem is all the inbreeding you rednecks do

Screws up the genes!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My daughter showers a few hours after practice when she gets home [she's embarrassed to shower at school ]  My son showers right after practice but I doubt he uses anything other than shampoo for his hair.  I don't think he washes his face after practice.   I'll talk to them about that.  

I do think just some small personal hygene rules could help it dramatically as just using the noxema has helped a lot.   I'll look up this: Benzoyl peroxide.  Someone told me once [whose son has very severe acne] that the over the counter acne cleansers are for adult acne and only makes juvenile acne worse?

Patty

It is my opinion adult "acne" is a whole 'nother ballgame and has more to do with hygeine than juvenile.  Stress is always a factor though.

Benzoyl peroxide is avail OTC as several preparations.
I used to have kids start out with face washing(not overdone) 3x daily.
In the AM followed by Cleocin Tgel and at night followed by benzoyl peroxide.  Learned that from a derm I trained with in residency.  The oral antibiotics worked the best though, if you ask me.

When we hit puberty our sebaceous glands that make oil for our skin(protectant) really kick in and bacteria "feed" on that oil. The combination clogs the ducts and compounds the problem. Intuitively, clearing dead skin and debris, etc should help. It makes some difference but not huge.
The trick is finding a program that "helps" and sticking with it.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#49]
FWIW- I noticed that during the first 8 weeks of basic training, the acne went away on most of the recruits.  I figured at the time that it was because our diet was strictly controlled, with no fried food, and no soda or candy.  It may not the complete cure, but it is worth trying for a few months.

Antibiotics help also from what I have heard.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Be cautious. It works but it is toxic, mutagenic shit and one of the few meds I will not prescribe under almost any conditions.  

Mutagenic?  Where did that come from?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top