Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/12/2005 1:14:26 PM EDT
I am going to try and be a cop within the next 2 or 3 years here in New Jersey. My question is i wear contacts and can't see without them., can i still be a cop with my eyesight as bad as it is. With the contacts i see 20-20 but without i see 20-500. (I blind i Know) Any info will help me out thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:32:07 PM EDT
Our policy is pretty standard and it is 'no worse than 20/100 uncorrected and must be 20/20 corrected'.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:40:21 PM EDT
You should check into LASIK. If that is not an option, then check into the older version, PRK.

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:28:05 PM EDT
Depends on the agency as far as their vision requirements. I used to be about 20/400 before LASIK. I had no problems wearing glasses all the time. Just swing as fast and hard as you can.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:38:05 PM EDT
That's about where I'm at and I'm good to go in Montana.

Our requirement is corrected to 20/20 with no uncorrected vision requirement.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:20:54 AM EDT
Thanks i have some friends that are cops and 2 of my friends are going to the academy as we speak. I will find out from them what the requirements are. I just haven't seen them. Thanks for the answers. BE SAFE
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:22:40 PM EDT
I was in your shoes for many years. Mom & Dad, in an effort to keep me from being hopelessly frustrated told me to abandon all hope of being FD or LE.

Once I got closer to age I finally asked an agency.

Their response?

"Does your vision require correction?"

"Is it correctable to 20/20"

"Please come in and pick up an application".

The uncorrected / corrected language isn't the easiest to understand, but most agencies will accept you if you can correct to 20/20, and aren't color blind (I test CB in that damn number book, but pass the disc, yarn, and navy lamp tests), although we just picked up a guy who's CB, and have actually had several on our PD and FD.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:23:06 PM EDT
3rd Street. Don't worry about it. I have been a cop since 1992 in NJ. Yes I wear contacts, and can't see an elephant at 2 feet with out them. As long as your eyes are corrected to 20/40, you are OK. What agency are you going to be working for? I work in (hold your breath) NEWARK.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:29:03 PM EDT
My eyes are about 20/120 uncorrected, so not as bad as some. I still need contacts or glasses, but just out of curiosity, I shot the standard course without either (wearing clear safety glasses of course) and shot a 90/100. Hey, it's a hell of a lesson on watching your sights when that's all you can see.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:40:21 PM EDT
I hated wearing glasses on duty. They fog in the winter time. Can't wear sunglasses in the summer. I wore contacts with a back up pair of glasses in my bag. OC spray will ruin a pair of contacts. Besides it's a good idea to carry saline with you anyway, contacts or not.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:12:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 1:14:15 PM EDT by 3rdStreet]

Originally Posted By twogun:
3rd Street. Don't worry about it. I have been a cop since 1992 in NJ. Yes I wear contacts, and can't see an elephant at 2 feet with out them. As long as your eyes are corrected to 20/40, you are OK. What agency are you going to be working for? I work in (hold your breath) NEWARK.

I live in Keyport and will be trying to ge in there. I have a couple friends that are cops and a couple more friends that are going through the academy now. Sheriff dosen't sound bad. I also know a couple higher up guys in Corrections so thats a option. I would just like to get into anything i can. Police or corrections. I have to wait for that stupid civil service exam in the fall of '06 before i can talk to anyone
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:20:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Slotback:
You should check into LASIK. If that is not an option, then check into the older version, PRK.

Good luck to you.

+1 if you can't get LASIK try the Peoples Republic of Korea.
Top Top