Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 1:14:26 PM EDT
I am going to try and be a cop within the next 2 or 3 years here in New Jersey.  My question is i wear contacts and can't see without them., can i still be a cop with my eyesight as bad as it is.  With the contacts i see 20-20 but without i see 20-500.  (I blind i Know)   Any info will help me out thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Our policy is pretty standard and it is 'no worse than 20/100 uncorrected and must be 20/20 corrected'.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You should check into LASIK. If that is not an option, then check into the older version, PRK.

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the agency as far as their vision requirements.  I used to be about 20/400 before LASIK.  I had no problems wearing glasses all the time.  Just swing as fast and hard as you can.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]
That's about where I'm at and I'm good to go in Montana.

Our requirement is corrected to 20/20 with no uncorrected vision requirement.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks i have some friends that are cops and 2 of my friends are going to the academy as we speak.  I will find out from them what the requirements are.  I just haven't seen them.  Thanks for the answers. BE SAFE
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I was in your shoes for many years. Mom & Dad, in an effort to keep me from being hopelessly frustrated told me to abandon all hope of being FD or LE.

Once I got closer to age I finally asked an agency.

Their response?

"Does your vision require correction?"

"Is it correctable to 20/20"

"Please come in and pick up an application".

The uncorrected / corrected language isn't the easiest to understand, but most agencies will accept you if you can correct to 20/20, and aren't color blind (I test CB in that damn number book, but pass the disc, yarn, and navy lamp tests), although we just picked up a guy who's CB, and have actually had several on our PD and FD.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
3rd Street. Don't worry about it.  I have been a cop since 1992 in NJ. Yes I wear contacts, and can't see an elephant at 2 feet with out them.  As long as your eyes are corrected to 20/40, you are OK.  What agency are you going to  be working for?  I work in (hold your breath) NEWARK.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
My eyes are about 20/120 uncorrected, so not as bad as some.  I still need contacts or glasses, but just out of curiosity, I shot the standard course without either (wearing clear safety glasses of course) and shot a 90/100.  Hey, it's a hell of a lesson on watching your sights when that's all you can see.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I hated wearing glasses on duty. They fog in the winter time. Can't wear sunglasses in the summer. I wore contacts with a back up pair of glasses in my bag. OC spray will ruin a pair of contacts. Besides it's a good idea to  carry saline with you anyway, contacts or not.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
3rd Street. Don't worry about it.  I have been a cop since 1992 in NJ. Yes I wear contacts, and can't see an elephant at 2 feet with out them.  As long as your eyes are corrected to 20/40, you are OK.  What agency are you going to  be working for?  I work in (hold your breath) NEWARK.

I live in Keyport and will be trying to ge in there.  I have a couple friends that are cops and a couple more friends that are going through the academy now.  Sheriff dosen't sound bad.  I also know a couple higher up guys in Corrections so thats a option.  I would just like to get into anything i can. Police or corrections. I have to wait for that stupid civil service exam in the fall of '06 before i can talk to anyone
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You should check into LASIK. If that is not an option, then check into the older version, PRK.

Good luck to you.

+1 if you can't get LASIK try the Peoples Republic of Korea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top