Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/3/2009 7:19:19 PM EST

This could be dupe, I don't know....nothing surprises me anymore of what's been discussed here on ARFCOM. In a social psychology class I'm taking we are learning about how individuals respond to authority. A scientist by the name of Milgram conducted a study in order to comprehend how German's so blindly followed Hitler's orders to execute Jews. Milgram's parents were survivors of the Holocaust.

Take a look at this YouTube video where Milgram's experiment was replicated. It’s pretty shocking ( as well as funny).
Milgram's experiment
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:39:17 AM EST
Never underestimate sheeple
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:44:32 AM EST
I've always wanted to see a video of this experiment.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:54:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 10:55:37 AM EST by ferretrodeo]
You will always be able to find people who will throw the switch.

Tag to show the wife.....

ETA: Guess I will keep my white coat.....
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:04:04 AM EST
I've read about the experiment, and it is a shocking commentary on humanity. It really is terrifying.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:14:06 AM EST
tag for later. Currently in class
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:55:25 PM EST
tag for home. cant subscribe from ARL, apparently
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:16:43 PM EST
My thoughts on the test is that people might just have no idea what a lethal voltage is. I have a cheap stun gun that says 100,000 volts on it and it will burn you after a few seconds.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:24:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By wesmerc:
My thoughts on the test is that people might just have no idea what a lethal voltage is. I have a cheap stun gun that says 100,000 volts on it and it will burn you after a few seconds.

AC DC is not just a rock band.

I had heard of this experiment; actually seeing it... Puts certain things into perspective.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:35:09 PM EST
Wow....

That's all I have to say.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:39:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:45:11 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:46:52 PM EST
My sig line seems appropriate.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:54:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:58:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
To me this one is more telling.

http://www.prisonexp.org/

That's a great one.

We went over these, and other experiments, in detail in a couple of my college classes. Everyone wants to think that they would do differently.... but in reality....
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:01:07 PM EST
i'm amused to see all the chest-beaters sniggering at sheeple, when the posters weren't part of the double-blind experiment.

one of the most significant findings of milgram's and zimbardo's classic experiments was that so many fundamentally moral people were shocked at how they had reacted. it's incredibly easy to say "i wouldn't have done that" when you know what the puropse of the experiment is––a lot like armchair generals who have the benefit of hindsight.

those of you thinking that this is an easy call should really sit down and look at the study. not an article about the study, but the study itself. i've already seen several inaccuracies posted.

i would like to believe that i would have stopped the experiment, but i can't say for sure, because i wasn't fucking there.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:04:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By Stlrain0341:
Everyone wants to think that they would do differently.... but in reality....

QFT

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:08:25 PM EST

A very interesting read, that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:26:22 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:30:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:31:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By Crowkiller:
I've read about the experiment, and it is a shocking commentary on humanity. It really is terrifying.

Why yes, yes it is.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:44:27 PM EST
some people will say that the experiment was later found to be less than perfect, yet it has been repeated with the same success (or failure, depending on how you want to look at it)
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:44:30 PM EST

That's a great one.

We went over these, and other experiments, in detail in a couple of my college classes. Everyone wants to think that they would do differently.... but in reality....

I think the other studies are very telling, but they did not have the direct contact feel to me.

It's a different ballgame (to me) if you have brief encounter and not looking at the person you are dealing with.

Also a little different with a "harmless but painful" shock rather than a bullet to the head. Also much different than pulling piles of bodies out of gas chambers.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:45:52 PM EST
No surprise at all, it is pretty much exactly as you should expect. If you did not, You better now.
The thing that surprises me is that they hesitated. If they had demonized the subject (learner) first you would have seen them (teachers) eagerly shock them.

All that is required for most people to contribute to the next great human atrocity is for someone to lead the way.

Anyone remember the crank call to the fast food joint, the caller get them to perform sexual acts in one case and got the women to piss on each other in another.. Over the phone!

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:48:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By schneecat:

That's a great one.

I think the other studies are very telling, but they did not have the direct contact feel to me.

It's a different ballgame (to me) if you have brief encounter and not looking at the person you are dealing with.

Also a little different with a "harmless but painful" shock rather than a bullet to the head. Also much different than pulling piles of bodies out of gas chambers.

Actually.... not as much as you would think.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:50:04 PM EST

That's a great one.

I personally know only *one* person who for certain would do the right thing. Those types of people make up a very small percentage of the population.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:14:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:32:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By sirensong:
i'm amused to see all the chest-beaters sniggering at sheeple, when the posters weren't part of the double-blind experiment.

one of the most significant findings of milgram's and zimbardo's classic experiments was that so many fundamentally moral people were shocked at how they had reacted. it's incredibly easy to say "i wouldn't have done that" when you know what the puropse of the experiment is––a lot like armchair generals who have the benefit of hindsight.

those of you thinking that this is an easy call should really sit down and look at the study. not an article about the study, but the study itself. i've already seen several inaccuracies posted.

i would like to believe that i would have stopped the experiment, but i can't say for sure, because i wasn't fucking there.

You make an excellent point. I'm not sure how many caught on but the guy that was caught shoplifting (which is a devient/non comforist behavior) was actually the quickest to stop the experiement. The black woman who seemed the most caring when as far as the machine would allow, even after the 'subject' stopped responding and asks for more buttons (referring to higher voltage). IIRC in the original experiment Milgram allows the 'teacher' to view the subject.
Top Top