Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 6:54:56 AM EDT
Whats people's choice on a boot knife for an army boot.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Serious question, but does anyone really carry them on their boots?  I know that is how it got the name, but I haven't seen anyone really do it.

My choice would be one of the Gerber MK II models or a good clone.  I believe they made smaller models that would work well.

ETA:

I couldn't find a smaller version of the MK II, but the Gerber Guardian looks like it would work well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks,

Boot knives are intended for non-lace boots like cowboy boots. They don't work with combat boots - they dig into the ankle, chafe, etc.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Boot knives are intended for non-lace boots like cowboy boots. They don't work with combat boots - they dig into the ankle, chafe, etc.

thats what I was thinking.

thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks,

As another said, the concept of a boot knife really isn't applicable to lace-up military boot.  That said, the Gerber MK I is a classic of the type.

Jane
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

As another said, the concept of a boot knife really isn't applicable to lace-up military boot.  That said, the Gerber MK I is a classic of the type.

Jane

When I was 12, i was reading Ahern's books about Hank Frost, the one eyed mercenary. Spent a months lawn mowing / yard work money on a MK I. That's how i learned that they don't work well with combat boots.

I was convinced that I'd buy a Browning high power as my first handgun too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Contrary to what everyone says I use a boot knife at work - on a laced up boot.

I use an Izula 2.  Here's where I got mine - http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=RCIZULAIIBKIT

I don't feel it at all throughout the day, I wear eight inch boots and do physical labor.  Granted I wear thick socks or sometimes two pairs of normal socks, but it's never rubbed my ankle at all.  I clip it with the clip on the inside, knife on the outside of my right ankle.  Never have any problems with it coming off, etc.  Just as easy to access with jeans on as a pocket knife is, easier IMO.  Never going back to a pocket knife.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I use an Izula 2.  Here's where I got mine - http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=RCIZULAIIBKIT

I don't feel it at all throughout the day, I wear eight inch boots and do physical labor.  Granted I wear thick socks or sometimes two pairs of normal socks, but it's never rubbed my ankle at all.  I clip it with the clip on the inside, knife on the outside of my right ankle.  Never have any problems with it coming off, etc.  Just as easy to access with jeans on as a pocket knife is, easier IMO.  Never going back to a pocket knife.

The Izula has about a 3" blade.  A traditional "boot knife" is 2-3 times that.  I can tuck a Swiss Army Knife keychain knife into the laces of my boots or sneakers, that doesn't make it a boot knife.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Izula has about a 3" blade.  A traditional "boot knife" is 2-3 times that.  I can tuck a Swiss Army Knife keychain knife into the laces of my boots or sneakers, that doesn't make it a boot knife.

He's looking for options, I'm giving him one I've used from my own experiences.  I've seen knives with a one inch blade called a "boot knife".  Thanks to my post he has +1 options, thanks to yours, he has no more options.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#10]
three inch blade is good for what I need it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
three inch blade is good for what I need it.

In that case I'd highly reccomend the izula II.  Make sure you get the kit with the handles and the sheath, though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Jane

When I was 12, i was reading Ahern's books about Hank Frost, the one eyed mercenary. Spent a months lawn mowing / yard work money on a MK I. That's how i learned that they don't work well with combat boots.

A friend of my father's, a WWII era Marine, gave me one when I was fifteen along with some basic instruction in its use.  At least that what he said he was doing.  So far as I could tell, he was teaching me how to lie on the ground and observe cloud formations.

I wanted a BHP too, but it was a little spendy for me; I had to settle for a S&W 59.

Jane

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Cold Steel Counter Tac
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#14]
how about the push knives?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I would not recommend the Gerber Guardian. I carried one briefly in my combat boot. The blade is really only suited to stabbing things. It is not comfortable or secure to carry in a boot. I lost it one night on an FTX. There may be better options for a boot knife, but I decided to rely on a belt knife.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Popcorn...

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Jane

A friend of my father's, a WWII era Marine, gave me one when I was fifteen along with some basic instruction in its use.  At least that what he said he was doing.  So far as I could tell, he was teaching me how to lie on the ground and observe cloud formations.

I wanted a BHP too, but it was a little spendy for me; I had to settle for a S&W 59.

Jane

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to make fun of guys that carried boot knives in their boots. I had a Gerber that I carried on my duece gear. But to carry a boot knife on a combat boot you end up having to use riggers tape or 550 cord and put in on the outside of the boot so it doesn't tear up your leg and foot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Zero Tolerance ZT0150
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Zero Tolerance ZT0150

Love mine. However, I've never actually carried it in a boot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Jane

That is why the original Gerber Mark II had a canted grip. If you look straight down the blade you'll see that the handle is bent outward to accomodate the calf when laced into or next to a Vietnam era combat boot.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Jane

Jane

Is that something like "thinking of England?"
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
how about the push knives?

Cold Steel Safe Maker

The Safe Maker Series by Cold Steel are great. My buddy that works for the NPS has used them to finish off hogs.

If you can box/punch you can use a push dagger. They are damn near impossible to disarm and are great for weapon retention. After I get some cash and put together some body armory I will have on on the rig for weapon retention.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it was more like every time I got any where within arm's reach with the plastic training knife, he'd do some of that martial arts shit and I'd end up on the ground looking up at the sky.  Though sometimes for a change, I'd end up face down with his foot on the back of my neck.

Jane

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Jane

That is why the original Gerber Mark II had a canted grip. If you look straight down the blade you'll see that the handle is bent outward to accomodate the calf when laced into or next to a Vietnam era combat boot.

http://www.militarycarryknives.com/KnifeCT1t.jpg

Maybe, but I've always heard it was so it would ride closer to the body in a belt sheath.   Not mutually exclusive, I suppose.

Jane

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it was more like every time I got any where within arm's reach with the plastic training knife, he'd do some of that martial arts shit and I'd end up on the ground looking up at the sky.  Though sometimes for a change, I'd end up face down with his foot on the back of my neck.

Jane

Got it.  BTDT , first year on the wrestling team.  I knew the exact number of lights in every gym in Berks county - I spent a LOT of time staring at them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#26]
A "good boot knife" can usually be sold and the funds used to purchase a "good belt knife".
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#27]

I had this knife for a while, japanese gerber clone marked EXPLORER with a double edged serrated blade and the glass breaker on the end, mine had a blued steel blade though, it was a nice knife.  and that is a great movie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top