Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2001 8:10:34 PM EDT
I figure he was a PRC mess Sgt, who specialized in captureing wild chickens and cats, then prepareing such culinary delights with them that he was named a hero of the Peoples Republic,and promoted to Major General.

Its also rumered that General Tso invented the 75 rd Chicom drum mag,beating old woks over 155mm shell caseings

ALL YOU CATS BELONG TO US!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, our local Safeway Deli Makes the best Gen.Tso Chicken in the world. Does anybody have the recipe?

Link Posted: 7/15/2001 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If you knew what was in it you would never eat it again!
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
A deli makes Gen. Tso's chicken???[puke]

That would be blasphemy here in NY!!! I'll stick to ordering my pastrami on rye thank you
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Phil,
Too bad your Safeway in Seattle has bad Tso.
Here in Port Townsend, it is Excellent!The AYCE Buffet in Silverdale has excellent Chinese, however their tso is JUNK! They put ketchup in it!
Got a recipe sent tonight, however the not frying part is a challange.Perhaps baked? then coated?

General Tso's Chicken

as prepared by Chef Paul Kaewprasart

Voted one of the top 10 dishes in Columbus by Columbus Monthly

Magazine.

1/2 cup cornstarch 3 pounds dark deboned

chicken meat cut into large chunks
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup soy sauce

1 1/2 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp white pepper

3/4 cup sugar 1 egg

1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup white vinegar
1 cup salad oil

1 1/2 cups hot chicken broth
2 cups scallions, diced

1 tsp M.S.G. (optional)
16 small dried hot peppers

To make sauce, mix cornstarch and water together. Add garlic,

ginger, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and wine. Then add chicken

broth and M.S.G. and stir until sugar disolves. Refrigerate

until needed.

In separate bowl, mix chicken, soy sauce and pepper. Stir

in egg. Add cornstarch until chicken is coated evenly. Add oil

to help separate chicken pieces. Divide chicken into small

quantities and deep-fry at 350 degrees until crispy. Drain on a

paper towel.

Place a small amount of oil in wok and heat until wok is

hot. Add scallions and peppers and stir-fry briefly. Stir

sauce; add to wok. Place chicken in sauce and cook until sauce

thickens. Add either cornstarch or water as needed. Serve with

rice. Serves 6 - 8.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

1/4 cup water cut into large chunks

View Quote

They must have some real nasty water in China.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL Matt! (damn cut and paste malfunction!)
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#7]
According to The Harper Encyclopedia of Military Biography, Tso T'sung-t'ang was a Chinese statesman and general who lived from 1812 to 1885. He was born in Hunan to a gentry family, gained his doctoral degree around 1840, embarked on a successful career as a scholar-administrator, then was sent to join Tseng Kuo-fan's Hunan army to fight against the Taiping rebels in 1853. He became a general in 1860 and was then appointed governor of the Chekiang province, which was largely in Taiping control. He was successful in driving the Taiping out of the province and restoring imperial rule, and went on to several other military successes, most of them carried out while he suffered from recurring bouts of malaria and dysentery. He was appointed a grand secretary of state in 1884, and died in Fuzhou on September 5, 1885.

Don't know where the chicken came in, but had a rat kabob when I was in China...tasted just like chicken! [:)]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't know where the chicken came in, but had a rat kabob when I was in China...tasted just like chicken! [:)]
View Quote

why is it everything we normaly wouldn teat tastes like chicken but chicken really doenst have its own taste? do people i nchina go hmm tastes like dog?
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#9]
The general had his own "special sauce" that made ANY kind of meat taste the same.....didn`t share the original recipe with anyone (just like col. sanders) that`s why we remember him..the chinese are still pissed ........there was a loose alligator down the road a couple weeks ago.....we saw the guy from the chinese joint on the corner there and we were ready for the weekly gator special...we knew it was him, he had his chef hat on...guess he didn`t get it...somebody from the zoo finally caught it...too bad........."hhmmm....tastes like chicken"..............[smoke]
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 6:51:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't care who is General Tso.
But General Tso's Chicken are damn good.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't care who is General Tso.
But General Tso's Chicken are damn good.
View Quote

Literally took the words right out my mouth.

Link Posted: 7/16/2001 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I just had some for lunch.
My taste-buds are thanking me, now I need a nap.
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#13]
General Tso was exiled and sought citizenship here in the U.S. They allowed him a work visa but under the condition that he take a demotion and renounce communism. He took the demotion to Colonel, changed his name to Harlan Sanders, moved to Kentucky and embraced capitalism like no other....notice the squinty eyes and the fu manchu facial hair?  Coincidence? I think not!
Link Posted: 7/16/2001 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#14]
[url]http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mgentso.html[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top