Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2001 4:41:36 AM EDT
Anybody see an Armalite AR180B yet?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:40:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Armalite booth at Camp Perry had one.  Looked at it briefly.  Seems like a neat rig.  Don't know if it was a preproduction prototype or not.

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
anybody got a pic or a link?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#3]
[img]www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/ar180/wholeRifle_small.jpg [/img]

[url]www.armalite.com/[/url]

$590.

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[img]www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/ar180/wholeRifle_small.jpg [/img]

[url]www.armalite.com/[/url]

$590.

View Quote

Just what we need. Another 40 year old design touted as a "new" product.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#5]
But I think I do need one[%|]

Can anybody talk me out of it?

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gobblin -

Remember these are "your boyz" (Armalite) that are "touting" this as new. [}:D]

But the larger point it this -

ANY TIME a manufacturer either produces a new or regurgitated "assault rifle" in THIS political climate, it is s GOOD thing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd like some detailed info on the front and rear sights.
View Quote

AR-180B Specifications

Caliber:  .223/5.56MM
Upper Receiver: Formed sheet metal, identical to the 1st generation AR180
Lower Receiver:  High-Strength Polymer
Barrel:  19” Chrome-Moly, RH 1:9” twist, NATO Chamber
Weight:  6 pounds, unloaded
Overall Length:  38”
Magazine:  Standard M-16 magazine
Trigger:  Standard M15 trigger group
Furniture:  Black
[b][size=4]Sights:  Standard M15A2 sights.  Rear sight adjustable for windage only, small and large apertures.[/b][/size=4]

Features:
Scope mounting system identical to the 1st generation AR180
Integral recoil compensator

Ships with:
One year warranty
Owner’s Manual
One 10 round .223 magazine
One gun lock

Options:  
Upgrade to National Match Trigger Group
Additional $100 if installed at the factory prior to shipping
Additional $180 if purchased as a separate item and installed later

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Now if we could only get Bushmaster to revive their origional rifle [%|]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Gobblin -

Remember these are "your boyz" (Armalite) that are "touting" this as new. [}:D]

But the larger point it this -

ANY TIME a manufacturer either produces a new or regurgitated "assault rifle" in THIS political climate, it is s GOOD thing.
View Quote

I know. I just had to play the pessimist for once.

Really, though, how much advancement has been made in the firearms industry since 1960? About the same amount as three computer years.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#11]
"Just what we need. Another 40 year old design touted as a "new" product."

Sounds like something that could be said about the 1911 . [thinking]
BrenLover [:D]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Really, though, how much advancement has been made in the firearms industry since 1960? About the same amount as three computer years.
View Quote

IMO, until we are firing something other than copper jacketed lead bullets, firearm tech is NOT going anywhere fast.

Firearms have advanced. Its bullet technology that really hasn't changed since 1900. THAT, IMO, is what is holding firearm tech back.

What's next??? Yup - ray guns.

For me, I'm pretty happy with firearms tech where it is right now. Kinda like the NFL WITHOUT instant replay.

It ain't perfect, but then do we REALLY want it to be??????

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks, Garandman.  After looking at Armalite's website to comfirm, looks as though the rear sight is functionally equivalent to an M-16/AR-15 A1-style rear sight.
That's a bit of a disappointment.  I like being able to easly adjust the rear sight for elevation.
For a soldier-proof battle-rifle rear sight, it's fine, maybe even preferable.  But not what I was hoping for.
View Quote

Same is true of -

The FAL variants available today. Even DSA's $1,500 jobbie.

The Robinson Armament M96. A mere $1,400.

I hears ya, brother. I too like TRUE A2 function in my rear sight.

But it seems like if you're looking at most of the other non-AR stuff out there, the AR180B ain't a bad deal.

I've tossed around the idea of gettin' one myself.

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks, Garandman.  After looking at Armalite's website to comfirm, looks as though the rear sight is functionally equivalent to an M-16/AR-15 A1-style rear sight.
That's a bit of a disappointment.  I like being able to easly adjust the rear sight for elevation.
For a soldier-proof battle-rifle rear sight, it's fine, maybe even preferable.  But not what I was hoping for.
View Quote

I doubt this rifle will be marketed as a match rifle. The sights like on the M16A1, should be adequate for what the AR180B is meant to do. It's a poor mans AR15 and nothing more. In spite of that I have had one on order since early June and expect it in the end of Sept. but I'm not holding my breath. I have just got to have one for the fun of it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Got to handle and shoot one at the Ducks Unlimited Outdoor festival in Oshkosh a couple of weeks ago. Very light. Seemed like a cross between a mini-14 and an ar15 if the two had children. Only one year warranty however.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Is NOBODY going to talk me out of buying one of these things?
(I just went to the website and watched the 14 minute video of Eugene Stoner and the AR10 - In the long run, this can't be good for my retirement fund)
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#20]
First, the 180B is not being touted as new, it is an older design being reintroduced.

Second, raf, I believe the front post is adjustable, as the one's on my originals are adjustable in the manner of the A1 and even the current AR15/M16.

Dolomite, no one is going to talk you out of it.  I ordered mine in January and will wait until they come out.  If it takes awhile, fine.  I know that ArmaLite will get it right before releasing it.  I have heard that they rejected some parts from one or two vendors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top