Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2012 5:47:32 AM EDT
I saw this sign at a filling station on I-40 west of Memphis yesterday.

So, my new theory is that the powers that be (oil moguls, government moguls, etc.) are going to charge you or tax you for miles driven, no matter how efficient a propulsion unit you have.  

For instance, if you had an RTG (thermo-electric generator)  given to you for free to run a steam propulsion unit on the highway, your cost to fuel up the RTG would be $1246.00 per nuclear work unit or equivalent of $2,000 per gallon  - curie equivalent. [I may have estimated the half-life incorrectly.]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Diesel has always been more expensive. It has a lot to do with EPA regulations on diesel emissions. And the oil companies who sponser them because they don't want the same efficient diesels in Europe to become popular here in the US
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Diesel has always ONLY RECENTLY been more expensive. It has a lot EVERYTHING to do with EPA regulations on diesel emissions THE ASSHOLES IN WASHINGTON. And the oil companies who sponser them because they don't want the same efficient diesels in Europe to become popular here in the US

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:51:23 AM EDT
[#3]
$2.47 for gasoline??

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:52:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
$2.47 for gasoline??

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#5]
It costs a lot to remove sulfur down to 15 parts per million in diesel.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:55:11 AM EDT
[#6]

One of the reasons why diesel cars really haven't taken off.

You might get better mileage, but it doesn't make up for the price per gallon difference.

IMUO.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Diesel only became pricier when the LSD and ULSD requirements came to fruition. Add in all the other garbage that's likely subsidized in the diesel price tag--and you get a $1.30 disparity.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:55:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
$2.47 for gasoline??

Maybe confusing it with E-85, which would be cheaper than regular gas?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:56:55 AM EDT
[#9]
He said 84 Octane, which I don't recall ever seeing.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:57:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Diesel was always a couple of cents cheaper thar reg gas. Some ASSHOLE saw one day that there has been a large increase of the number of diesel trucks and cars on the road and sais " Hey lets nail these dip shits " SO here we are. ...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep.  Most pumps are 87, 89, 91.  Some throw in 88 and 90.  I think I've even seen a 94 once.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:58:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Diesel has always ONLY RECENTLY been more expensive. It has a lot EVERYTHING to do with EPA regulations on diesel emissions THE ASSHOLES IN WASHINGTON. And the oil companies who sponser them because they don't want the same efficient diesels in Europe to become popular here in the US

FIFY

Diesel has been more expensive than gasoline for as long as I can remember
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#13]
It's the new and improved super clean diesel
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

You must be suffering from amnesia.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:01:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

Are you 12 years old? It has only been more expensive since around 2006 or so.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:01:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

You are either very young or have early onset Alzheimers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:01:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Where are you getting diesel for 3.77???  Its usually 4.15 here, I get excited when I find the rare occasion its under $4.  We have 5 diesels in our family, not counting any of our machinery (own a landscaping company) and we go through alot of fuel...And to think the EPA is putting an additional 20% restriction on emissions....As someone said it quite nicely here: "Just more expensive shit I will rip off the truck..."
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:02:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
$2.47 for gasoline??

84 octane is pretty low.  Must be at a high altitude.  I've never personally seen gasoline less than 85 octane - including at stations above 9,000 feet.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:02:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Diesel has always been more expensive.

How old are you?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

are you 12?

in the late 80's/early 90's diesel was consistently 10-15% less than gasoline.

eta: great minds think alike and all that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#21]
How old are you? No it has not.  It requires less refining and as a straight untaxed commodity it's cheaper.  I remember when diesel was cheaper the regular unleaded.  But as I'm a half century old, guess I'm an old fart.

Quoted:
Diesel has always been more expensive. It has a lot to do with EPA regulations on diesel emissions. And the oil companies who sponser them because they don't want the same efficient diesels in Europe to become popular here in the US

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

Are you 12 years old? It has only been more expensive since around 2006 or so.

Yup. Takes less to refine diesel than regular gas...no reason it should really be more expensive outside of gov't regulations and supply issues.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:04:20 AM EDT
[#23]
E-85 is more expensive per mile.  The benefit to E-85 is more power but worse MPG.

Quoted:
Quoted:
$2.47 for gasoline??

Maybe confusing it with E-85, which would be cheaper than regular gas?

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:04:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$2.47 for gasoline??

84 octane is pretty low.  Must be at a high altitude.  I've never personally seen gasoline less than 85 octane - including at stations above 9,000 feet.

He said outside Memphis...he had to of mis-typed that. Not high altitude gas in TN that I've seen.

Blew my mind when I first got to CO, though. 85? WTF is that?

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:06:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

nice fix

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:06:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I run an older diesel that can take WVO or WMO:)
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Why is offroad diesel just 20-30 cents cheaper than the ULSD?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

15 PPM?  We have to go to 10PPM... although sulfur regs on the stuff we sell to the railroad allows us to go to 14PPM.  

Used to be nice when we could make high sulfur and low sulfur diesel.  Takes alot more heat to get it down to ultra low specs.

(I run Hydorbon and Duf units at work. Mainly making diesel and kerosene, along with gasoline feed stock)
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:08:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Your memory isn't very long. It used to be cheap, REAL cheap. That was a big reason big rigs burned diesel instead of gas. As others explained, when they started removing the sulphur the price went up. When it was cheap it was also very dirty. You used to be able to spot a diesel car (usually a Mercedes) because the whole rear end would be sooty black.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:08:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sorry, fixed it for you:

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:10:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because its regular diesel without all the taxes.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:12:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Because its regular diesel without all the taxes.  

Didnt think of this.  Doubt it's dyed fuel though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because of tax.  Even bunker fuels in certain ports (fuel for ships) has to be very low sulfur.  Meaning ships have to run low sulfur fuel from special bunkers on board before entry into a port.  Or get a tow from a low emissions tug.

Everyone using distillate oils is paying for the ULSD mandate.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How old are you? No it has not.  It requires less refining and as a straight untaxed commodity it's cheaper.  I remember when diesel was cheaper the regular unleaded.  But as I'm a half century old, guess I'm an old fart.

Quoted:

Im 29 and I can remember when diesel was almost .50-1.00 cheaper than gasoline. If you had a truck and used it as such it made no sense to buy a gasser then.
Diesel has been  .50-.75 more around here since later summer.
ULSD regs really drove up the price. Even LSD wasnt bad.
Im not sure how true it is, but from what I "heard", another reason prices are higher on diesl is that the refineries have been using cracking techniques to extract more gasoline from the mix than they used to.
Less diesel on the market + more expensive de-sulfering processes = more expensive fuel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

15 PPM?  We have to go to 10PPM... although sulfur regs on the stuff we sell to the railroad allows us to go to 14PPM.  

Used to be nice when we could make high sulfur and low sulfur diesel.  Takes alot more heat to get it down to ultra low specs.

(I run Hydorbon and Duf units at work. Mainly making diesel and kerosene, along with gasoline feed stock)

15 ppm is the limit in most places.  I guess you are in Superior?

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Im not sure how true it is, but from what I "heard", another reason prices are higher on diesl is that the refineries have been using cracking techniques to extract more gasoline from the mix than they used to.

Less diesel on the market + more expensive de-sulfering processes = more expensive fuel.

Exactly.  The sulfur is part of larger molecules.  To remove it requires replacement by hydrogen which causes the larger molecules to become two or more smaller molecules, more suited to gasoline than diesel.

Catalysts are required, these don't last forever as trace metal contaminants in crude eventually poison their activity.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, fixed it for you:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/counterclockwisester/filling_station_pic.jpg

Holly crap, why?  We have 87 89 91

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.  The sulfur is part of larger molecules.  To remove it requires replacement by hydrogen which causes the larger molecules to become two or more smaller molecules, more suited to gasoline than diesel.

Catalysts are required, these don't last forever as trace metal contaminants in crude eventually poison their activity.  

I was just talkin about this with my boardman.  We go through catalyst much quicker now.  Also run less product as in BPD.

Yes, I am in Superior.  Small refinery here.  50,000 crude bpd max on a good day.  I am running about 10,500 diesel, and  7,000 of Naptha for platformer feed atm.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that made H2S which is considered nasty stuff around refineries.  Most folks seem to want "sweet" crude.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Was about to . Red to the rescue!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Was about to . Red to the rescue!

So was I. I remember when I was a kid, No. 2 diesel was the cheapest thing at the stations. Actually, it seemed that as more people started driving diesels, the prices started rising, and that was long before the switch to ULSD.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Because milk is fixing to be $8.00 a gallon come Jan 2nd.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that made H2S which is considered nasty stuff around refineries.  Most folks seem to want "sweet" crude.

Hydrogen sulfide is easier to remove from refined product than hydrocarbons with sulfur.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#44]
fuck you, I just paid $3.27/gal for 89 Octane (Non-ethanol).

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

You must not remember back very far then.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Diesel competes with fuel oil cut, which doesn't help. Pushing hard on diesel production right now. Biggest thing is the cost of sulfur removal. A lot of cost with operating a diesel hydrotreater unit (DHT) then you have the associated Shell Claus Offgas Treatment (SCOT) unit, the amine system and amine recovery unit, and the sulfur recovery unit (SRU). Paying for manpower, catalyst, maintenance, paying for imported hydrogen, steam generation, fuel gas/nat gas fired heaters, electric, etc . BIG BUCKS for that 15 ppm ULSD.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Diesel was 50 cents per gallon cheaper (at least) in 2004-5.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

Diesel was 50 cents per gallon cheaper (at least) in 2004-5.

I'm 24 and I remember diesel being significantly cheaper than regular unleaded. If I had to guess (very hazily), it was sometime around Katrina that this changed

I also remember going to the Big E in MA and my parents filling up for 88 cents a gallon.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top