Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/3/2002 8:24:30 AM EST
i had a some what of 2 minor close calls 1 was over a year ago and the other was 2 or 3 yrs ago. but what about your close calls? what kind? i am interested in reading your close calls, but i dont want to read any B.S. thanks in advance
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:41:55 AM EST
I was out doing low level acro in my RV-3A, low level rolls (30' agl). Came up over a canyon ridge and did a roll, the rotor winds from the canyon edge did a good job of almost putting me down - thought I was gonna pancake, +4 g's arrested the sink at about 4' agl. Whew! Got lucky on that one, I still put on 6 more rolls and a couple of loops on the way back home (gotta get back on that horse...).
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:45:01 AM EST
Not a pilot myself,but my father-in-law just retired from the Airlines. Pop was supposed to be the First officer on Pan Am flt 103. He swapped with another First officer so the other guy could get home early.[xx(] echo6
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:49:34 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:50:03 AM EST
[url]http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5260/crashpic.html[/url] i bet that didnt feel good
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:51:53 AM EST
I heard about a student coming back from a cross-country solo, and the FBO phoned to let the school know that it took the exact tank capacity (22 gal, I believe) to fill up.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 8:58:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By Citabria7GCBC: [url]http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5260/crashpic.html[/url] i bet that didnt feel good
View Quote
I was in Germany at the time. I had CQ that night and we had 3 people on that plane going home for the holidays. Everytime the phone rang I haded it because I almost knew it would be a mother, father, sister or brother asking about it and I could not release any names. Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:04:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/3/2002 9:05:58 AM EST by Aviator]
For close calls, I have had a few. I am not a pilot, I'm a crew chief. A few years ago when we were up at Camp Ripley we did formation troop lift with three aircraft. After the lift my aircraft split up from the others to go do some water bucket training. Shortly afterward the other two aircraft ran into each other and we lost 5 guys. the one that really shot my nerves was after a phase (rebuild of the aircraft) we have to do what called a Top End check. To do that you basicly fly the aircraft as high as it will go (12k-15k'). Its an engine test. On one top check we did the transmission oil filter blew an O ring and we lost all of the transmission oil. We come down as quickly as possible (like a raped ape). When we got down the paint was already blistered on the outside of the transmission. Word was that had it been a little longer the thing would have siezed. Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:10:51 AM EST
About 10 years ago was flying a Piper Archer 11(2) over South Jersey when I saw on the horizon a large black smoky dot. That dot turned into a C141 that I presumed was out of McGuire AFB. I was flying just under 3000' and so was he. Well anyway, I made a diving turn to the right and when the wing went up signifying the turn, the C141 made a sharp turn away from me. I don't know how close he got. Possibly 1/2 mile, but it raised a few hairs. After that I watched him fly back up the coast at the same elevation. One other thing, that Archer screamed like a dive bomber in the movies...you know the sound...waaaaaaaaaaa
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:12:42 AM EST
I'm a pilot, SEL, no IFR about 250 hours and own a AA5B. I have had a couple of "damn he's too close's", but never a real "OH SHYIIIITTTE". I helped with aircraft parking a couple of weeks ago at the AOPA open house and saw more near collisions in 3 hours than I ever thought possible. There were hundreds of planes flying in (I think the final count was near 700) using the special procedures, and that was tough enough. Throw in a guy trying to land against traffic, or one that flew through the airport traffic area at about 800' not talking on the radio and you have the making of some real scary stuff. Probably my closest call was I was on the airliner that was almost hit by the Thunderbirds in IFR a year or so ago. At the time, all I knew was we were comming back from HI landing at Dulles and we made a couple of strange, abrupt manuvers just prior to landing. It truns our the Thunderbirds were departing Andrews and were supposed to fly west staying south of Dulles in trail using radar to keep "sight" of lead. Somehow they got scattered and two went straight through Dulles airspace at high speed and low altitude causing the manuvering. Another almost flew into the Catoctin Ridge until ATC advised him to climb which is not very high terrain and the last one ended up 40 miles south, somewhere north of Fredricksburg. Not great PR for the precsion flying team. A buddy that was picking me up had my intererary in had and recognized the flight number on the evening news. He asked if I was puckered from the near miss. I just looked at him stupid, while he filled me in. I told him us flunkys in the back we were fat, dumb and happy. If anyone had skidmarks it was the Captain and FO.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:13:34 AM EST
Here is a link to this months copy of flightfax. the Armys aviation safety mag. There are usually some good articles and then a coverage of all class A-D mishaps with descriptions. [url]http://safety.army.mil/pages/media/pubs/ff/ffjun02.gif[/url] Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:20:43 AM EST
about three yrs ago, a army apache said he was 10 miles from AXH transitioning from east to west, but in reality he was already over the active as i was on final. he was also at 500ft and so was i. boy i brought that citabria down in a hurry. as i touched down he flew right over us. then the apache guy said they were 5 miles away form our field and he was more like 20. we could hardly see him on the horizon.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:40:47 AM EST
If you guys and gals don't mind, I'll relate some of my dad's, he was, as some of you know, a Maj. Gen in the AF. Thirty years and 10000+ hours makes for some good stories. First was a T6 vs Vulture, typical birdstrike for a 20lb bird, wasted the engine, went in and out the bottom of the cowl. Deadstick landing. Second was a T33, the fuel tanks in the wingtips were pressurized, and a fill cover was loose, suddenly he was applying full left stick and it was getting worse. He had to drop the tip tank, which made him need to apply right stick in about 1/2 second. In a brand new B47, he flew it from Boeing to Schilling in Kansas. After the flight he grabbed his thermos from under the seat and saw that the ejection seats were chained in, forgot to take them off at the factory. Once in the Phillipines he hit a horse while landing a 141, blew off the main gear doors and went up and hit the wing. He got to fly it all the way to Japan with the gear down, that was a long flight. Once he flew on the first C130 during the invasion of Grenada, that was pretty hairy but nothing happenned to his bird. He has others I can't recall right now.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:31:07 AM EST
i am planning to go in th USAF so one day i will have any more stories. this coming yr is my senior yr. after that i am spending 1 yr at the adedemy prep school, then hopfully i will be acepted into the acedemy where i will graduate and eventually become a fighter pilot[-=(_)=-]
Top Top