Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2010 5:13:08 PM EDT
From a "market" website I will no longer patronize due to their long-standing political bias:

Voters' misinformation included beliefs at odds with the conclusions of government agencies, generally regarded as non-partisan, consisting of professional economists and scientists.

•   Though the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) concluded that the stimulus legislation has saved or created 2.0-5.2 million jobs, only 8% of voters thought most economists who had studied it concluded that the stimulus legislation had created or saved several million jobs. Most (68%) believed that economists estimate that it only created or saved a few jobs and 20% even believed that it resulted in job losses.
•   Though the CBO concluded that the health reform law would reduce the budget deficit, 53% of voters thought most economists have concluded that health reform will increase the deficit.
•   Though the Department of Commerce says that the US economy began to recover from recession in the third quarter of 2009 and has continued to grow since then, only 44% of voters thought the economy is starting to recover, while 55% thought the economy is still getting worse.
•   Though the National Academy of Sciences has concluded that climate change is occurring, 45% of voters thought most scientists think climate change is not occurring (12%) or that scientists are evenly divided (33%).

Other key points of misinformation among voters were:

•   40% of voters believed incorrectly that the TARP legislation was initiated under Barack Obama, rather than George Bush
•   31% believed it was proven true that the US Chamber of Commerce spent large amounts of money it had raised from foreign sources to support Republican candidates
•   54% believed that there were no tax cuts in the stimulus legislation
•   86% assumed their taxes had gone up (38%) or stayed the same (48%), while only 10% were aware that their taxes had gone down since 2009
•   53% thought that the bailout of GM and Chrysler occurred only under Obama, though it was initiated under Bush

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/brunitedstatescanadara/671.php?nid&id&pnt=671&lb
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone relying on a single news source is uninformed.

That being said, it is my understanding that the health reform bill did not decrease the deficit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone relying on a single news source is uninformed.

That being said, it is my understanding that the health reform bill did not decrease the deficit.

The beauty of this is...  the authors of this "study" are using official releases as their standard.   They are *assuming* that the CBO's reports are accurate (uh...  MediCare projections, anyone?).   If you did not recite what the CBO estimates projected (on which version of the healthcare bill?), then you were "misinformed."   I'm sure Fox News having twice the ratings of CNN or MSNBC - combined - probably didn't skew the data either.  

They're also assuming the "official" jobs numbers are accurate - and of course how does one calculate those numbers?   The Administration has reduced the total number of "jobs created" each year - and independent estimates are in the 200,000 range.   Relative to population growth, we've arguably lost 2 million jobs since January 2009.

But I digress.   This is obviously a partisan poll with leading questions geared towards a certain perspective - with the outcome being "if you do not believe what the Government tells you, then you are misinformed."   Brilliant!  It supports this paradox of "informed" people being those who do not question the world around them, and are those who lack critical thinking skills.   Interestingly, these people must vote for and believe in Barack Obama.

In short, it is a rather Orwellian take on WordSpeak, and will be used to further slander anyone with a conservative perspective.   If we can't argue with logic, then we'll argue with emotion.   If that doesn't work, then we'll just print up faulty studies with questionable methods and label you stupid.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The Alinsky followers will always tell you what they fear most...
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#4]
They're citing the Congressional Budget Office on things Congress passed and have an interest in trying to show is a success. Now I've seen it all.

On the Climate Change deal, what's funny is that the first day of meteorology class (Aviation Professional Flight Major) in college the professor said, and I quote: "Of course climate change is happening! It's been changing since the dawn of time, it's changing now. The climate is in a constant state of chaos and change! Are humans responsible for this? That is open to debate as there simply isn't enough evidence. We just don't know, and anyone that says they do is politically motivated, lying, or just plain ignorant."

So if I asked anyone, "Hey, is the climate changing?" you're pretty dumb if you answer "No."

But if I ask you if it's humanity's fault the climate is changing, you'd be just as dumb if you said yes.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The Alinsky followers will always tell you what they fear most...

Beck's research people have been really good at finding this stuff.

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They're citing the Congressional Budget Office on things Congress passed and have an interest in trying to show is a success. Now I've seen it all.

On the Climate Change deal, what's funny is that the first day of meteorology class (Aviation Professional Flight Major) in college the professor said, and I quote: "Of course climate change is happening! It's been changing since the dawn of time, it's changing now. The climate is in a constant state of chaos and change! Are humans responsible for this? That is open to debate as there simply isn't enough evidence. We just don't know, and anyone that says they do is politically motivated, lying, or just plain ignorant."

So if I asked anyone, "Hey, is the climate changing?" you're pretty dumb if you answer "No."

But if I ask you if it's humanity's fault the climate is changing, you'd be just as dumb if you said yes.

that was something else I had noticed - i didn't bother digging up the actual study to see if they stopped at "climate change" or actually specified global warming.   it's pretty obvious based on the line of questioning and the orientation of "correct" answers that the authors intended the question to be on global warming - but "climate change" was the only term used in the article.

In either case, it's an obviously loaded question.   You either are on board - you're on board with us, aren't you? - or you're misinformed.

The...  debate... is...  over.    (because they said so).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top