Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2003 2:32:50 PM EDT
My Father-in-Law found one hiking.
It has no cord and is dead.
What kind of connector does it take?
How do I load MP3's into it?
I'm not sure if it's broken or just needs charged up.
It looks like this:
[img]http://www.xtrememac.com/foripod/images/foripodphoto.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The hook up via a firewire port to a computer. Some models are Mac-only, some are Windows-compatible. If it looks like the one in the picture, with mechanical controls, it's probably a Mac-only version.

The firewire port should provide power for charging. You'll need the appropriate cable.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Take it to a local Best Buy.  They sell iPods and they would probably be willing to connect the one you found up to see if it actually works.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to get it back to the original owner you can take it to an Apple sotre and they can check the serial number and get it back to the original owner OR if you hook it up to a firewire port on a PC or a Mac and get it charged up you may be able to get to the address book on the thing and it might give you a clue as to who it belongs to
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you want to get it back to the original owner you can take it to an Apple sotre and they can check the serial number and get it back to the original owner OR if you hook it up to a firewire port on a PC or a Mac and get it charged up you may be able to get to the address book on the thing and it might give you a clue as to who it belongs to
View Quote

Checking the serial number will only work if the owner had filled out the registration form (I never do unless I need warranty work done.)  Good idea about checking the unit, though.  I'm not sure if you can put personalized info on an iPod.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#6]
On a mac you can sync your address book and calander so there is definatly some personal info there.  If you plug it into a firewire port and nothing happens hold down the play and pause button down for a couple of seconds to perform a reset on the unit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top