Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2009 12:15:03 PM EDT
Guess I'm going to be driving them to school from now on. Just out of curiosity, how does everyone else on the forum feel about this surveillance bullshit?

ETA: As far as the cameras - this is smalltown usa, not baltimore or shitcago. We're talking about a small town of about 5k on grade-school buses.

<Title edit. Bama>
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It worked out well for a student/athlete a while back that was accused by a teaching of hitting him on a trip.. They played the video back and found out that the student didnt touch the teacher..  Cant remember if that was read on here or in yahoo news - sorry

Brian

edit   found the story story link
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#2]
been doing that for awhile, its used to check on bullying, etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
i think it protects both the children and the school district.  i assume we are talking about a public school bus?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Our busses had cameras when I was in school (over 10 yrs ago). I'm not agreeing with the practice, but it's been around awhile.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was in school, before we had those cameras, kids would do all sorts of crazy shit, when the cameras were put in there, no one was messing around like that anymore.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Guess I'm going to be driving them to school from now on. Just out of curiosity, how does everyone else on the forum feel about this surveillance bullshit?

Now you will put up with the some of the kids bullshit

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
been doing that for awhile, its used to check on bullying, etc.

My sister actually got saved by the cameras. This punk kid was picking on her everyday on the bus and one day she had enough and cleaned his clock. My sister is a pretty big girl and she totally jacked this kid up. They were able to go back and see the videos of what was going on and that kid actually got in trouble, in addition to having his ass beat by a girl.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#8]
This site doesn't want cuss words in thread titles. As for the cameras it doesn't really bother me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When I was in school, before we had those cameras, kids would do all sorts of crazy shit, when the cameras were put in there, no one was messing around like that anymore.

So basically you acked like normal  kids .

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#10]
i had cameras on my buses starting in middle school all the way through high school. this was in the 90's.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Around here, they don't stop shit, but they do give some good footage of some beatdowns.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#12]
There were cameras on my bus, in the 80's.

I'm not sure what the problem is, and I'm high in the running for most vocal libertarian around here.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So basically you acked like normal kids .

so fighting and beating the piss out of each other or the bus driver is acting normal?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't see the down side.     I'm pro-camera

Eliminates the he said/she said.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Panopticon

Google it
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#16]
No problem with them at all, and I understand and hate cameras as much as the next guy.  No problem with them on school buses though.

We had a kid toss a brick out into the front of our fire truck while it was responding to an actual structure fire.  Caved the grill in.

Dumbass kid din't do nuthin'.... the video disagreed though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't see the down side.     I'm pro-camera

Eliminates the he said/she said.

+1 don't see the problem, If a kid all the way in the back of the bus is selling drugs, then they might catch it on camera, or if a bus driver is abusing kids than they can investigate. The only down side I could see would be having a harder time laying the smack down on some kids, lol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#18]
If you ever had to drive a school bus, you would be all in favor of cameras.

Joe F
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Also where's the video of the kid on the bus who beat the living shit out of the bus driver. I think it was to the extent that he broke one of the female drivers arms or something.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Its a public school bus owned by the county/city/state.  Given some of the crap that I have seen on the news - its no wonder.  A little video deals with the "My little Johnnie didn't do nuffin'!" denial after stupid crap gets pulled on a bus.  If they have to put cameras on a school bus to kick off the bad element - have at it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Seems like a great idea - unless your kids are the ones causing the trouble.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#22]
It has been on MN buses for many years
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#23]
My mother has been driving school buses for well over 10 years, and she will tell you that she can't see it all all the time. When you have to watch the road in front of you, the mirrors and the kids in the back, that camera becomes very useful. Unless your kids are doing something have no business doing there is nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#24]
So why is it everyone on this thread has no problem with school bus cameras, but would shit a brick if one was put up every 20 feet along the sidewalk.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#25]
not specifically a school bus issue, but there was a pretty harsh beatdown on a baltimore transit bus a few years back that i think was caught on camera?

<blockquote>

Dec 6, 2007 2:00 AM by Luke Broadwater, The Examiner

BALTIMORE (Map, News) - As Sarah Kreager, 26, tried to sit down on a
Baltimore City bus Tuesday, police say, a middle-schooler told her she
couldn’t. When she attempted to take another seat, a middle-schooler
wouldn’t let her. Finally, according to police, Kreager just sat down.

She was “immediately attacked” by nine students — three females and
six males — from Robert Poole Middle School. They punched and kicked
her at 2:59 p.m. at the intersection of 33rd Street and Chestnut
Avenue, according to Maryland Transit Administration police.

Kreager was dragged off the bus and her boyfriend, Troy Ennis, attempted to get her back on, police said.

She sustained “serious injuries” and had to be transported to the
University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, according to a police
report.

Kreager suffered two broken bones in her left eye socket, police said.

“She had eye muscles that were damaged,” a police report states.
“She had deep lacerations on the top of her head and another above her
neck.”

Two seats and the bus’ rear glass were destroyed during the attack, police said.

The picture of the victim is stunning, her face is a mess and her
eye is completely closed. Sharpton and Jackson and their ilk would be
baying like hounds over this except for one small thing:

The suspects in the incident are black. The victim is white, according to the police report.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#26]
It was in the back when I rode the bus, which was stupid. Medical tape was the usual, always had some for practice/games. From time to time it was electrical tape as my pops is an electrician and I had rolls of it laying around.

It's not the worst idea ever, but for some deep down libertarian reason, I didn't like it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The more the better, it will keep us safe, like it does in Britain

May'be in time, they'll make sure to monitor other things too. In Cuba you can be arrested for not following doctor's orders, damaging a worker's body is a crime against the state.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
not specifically a school bus issue, but there was a pretty harsh beatdown on a baltimore transit bus a few years back that i think was caught on camera?

<blockquote>
Dec 6, 2007 2:00 AM by Luke Broadwater, The Examiner
BALTIMORE (Map, News) - As Sarah Kreager, 26, tried to sit down on aBaltimore City bus Tuesday, police say, a middle-schooler told her shecouldn’t. When she attempted to take another seat, a middle-schoolerwouldn’t let her. Finally, according to police, Kreager just sat down.

She was “immediately attacked” by nine students — three females andsix males — from Robert Poole Middle School. They punched and kickedher at 2:59 p.m. at the intersection of 33rd Street and ChestnutAvenue, according to Maryland Transit Administration police.

Kreager was dragged off the bus and her boyfriend, Troy Ennis, attempted to get her back on, police said.

She sustained “serious injuries” and had to be transported to theUniversity of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, according to a policereport.

Kreager suffered two broken bones in her left eye socket, police said.

“She had eye muscles that were damaged,” a police report states.“She had deep lacerations on the top of her head and another above herneck.”

Two seats and the bus’ rear glass were destroyed during the attack, police said.

The picture of the victim is stunning, her face is a mess and hereye is completely closed. Sharpton and Jackson and their ilk would bebaying like hounds over this except for one small thing:

The suspects in the incident are black. The victim is white, according to the police report.

So essentially it was ineffective - it didn't prevent the kid from getting attacked now did it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

So why is it everyone on this thread has no problem with school bus cameras, but would shit a brick if one was put up every 20 feet along the sidewalk.

because some kids act like fucking animals. Most "normal" people don't act like animals while walking down the sidewalk
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I graduated highschool in 97, didn't ride the bus the last 2 years or so, and they had had cameras on the busses for years before I stopped riding

the kids were less likely to act up and be shit heads when they knew there would be proof
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Subnet, young whipersnapper, you'll learn to become more skeptical as you get older

As far as the cameras - this is smalltown usa, not baltimore or shitcago. We're talking about a small town of about 5k on grade-school buses.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't see how it harms the kids in any way. if your kid was screwed with by another kid or you were a parent going along on a field trip and was accused of something, you would be glad they had the cameras.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Subnet, young whipersnapper, you'll learn to become more skeptical as you get older

I'm a hard core skeptic, and recognize the difference between skepticism and cynicism.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#35]
More conditioning for the surveillance society.

But, it's for the children...

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#36]
We had cameras on the buses when I was in school.  Started around 1990.  I didn't mind them one bit.  It helped the idiots behave themselves a little better.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#37]
I was one of two white kids on my bus all through middle school. Cameras on buses didn`t exist then as far as I know, but I would have gladly paid for one myself, only it would have been useless as it would have been broken or stolen within two days.  I don`t think we kept a driver for more than two weeks before they quit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#38]
You might be glad they are there, if the bus driver turned out to be a pedophile, or some other crazy shit happened that needed to be prosecuted at a later time. Your apprehensions are misplaced in this case.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Because I can't escape public cameras, unless I never leave my house. A choice to remain private has been removed.

How's this for a change of pace - if my child's school district considered removing bus service altogether, I'd throw my support behind it.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Big Brother is never a good thing...... I seem to recall a quote from the great Benjamin Franklin.....
I remember having them on the bus as I was a kid...... they never turned the damn things on past the first few days of them being installed.
Alot of good those things do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't you think a driver has enough on his hands just driving the bus?  If he has to play baby sitter, too, that is a distraction that can get your kids killed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

ETA: As far as the cameras - this is smalltown usa, not baltimore or shitcago. We're talking about a small town of about 5k on grade-school buses.

They are for the bus drivers and childrens safety.  It is because of shit like this and this.  Just google it and you can find plenty more.  It is a fucked up world and I have no problem with putting cameras on buses.  Doesn't matter where in the country you are, this shit can happen anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Since seeing the vid of the kid beating the crap out of the driver, I don't see the issue.

It keeps EVERYBODY on better behavior, and removes the he said, she said from the picture.

We live in litigation happy times, friend.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#44]
did you ever ride the bus?  its worse than riding the subway in NYC
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I am guessing because a lot of crap can happen on a bus full of kids, with only one adult present.

Slight difference from that scenario and a crowded city street.

Besides, aren't the bus system cameras recordings?

The street cams in Britain are live monitored feeds.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I see nothing wrong with it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am guessing because a lot of crap can happen on a bus full of kids, with only one adult present.

Slight difference from that scenario and a crowded city street.

Besides, aren't the bus system cameras recordings?

The street cams in Britain are live monitored feeds.

Audio and Video

And only a small portion of britain's cameras are live. The rest are tapes kept by the shop owners who let the .gov put the cameras there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Like a lot of other people have said, I have no problem with them.  I graduated from high school in 2001 and had camers on my school buses from middle school on (didn't ride a bus before that).  iirc, they installed the camera boxes in every bus, but on any given day, neither the driver nor the students knew whether there was actually a camera in the box.  

They're there to watch the drivers as much as the kids.  If the driver assaults your kid (it has happened), the video is used against them.  My views are pretty libertarian in general, and I just can't think of a situation where a camera on a school bus would be a bad thing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Like a lot of other people have said, I have no problem with them.  I graduated from high school in 2001 and had camers on my school buses from middle school on (didn't ride a bus before that).  iirc, they installed the camera boxes in every bus, but on any given day, neither the driver nor the students knew whether there was actually a camera in the box.  

They're there to watch the drivers as much as the kids.  If the driver assaults your kid (it has happened), the video is used against them.  My views are pretty libertarian in general, and I just can't think of a situation where a camera on a school bus would be a bad thing.

And you can't see that this is reactionary? Is it going to get your kid un-fucked up by the driver? No - all they can do is react to it. If a kid gets off the bus bleeding and says the bus driver beat him, I'm not waiting for the video to come out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Fuck skool buses.  And Kameras.
Skool, too.
Nobudy needs skool.  Or Kameras.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top