BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/6/2001 10:10:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#1]
You die, you rot and that is the end of the story. Your legacy is carried on by those that knew you when you were alive. That is the only "after life".
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Do we turn to dust and all our experiences die with us?
View Quote

That's what I believe.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#3]
You're the pathologist Ed, shouldn't we be asking you..?  [;)]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I plan to ride into Valhalla on the back of a winged horse, holding onto the Valkyrie in front of me.

For real though, I figure there will be some kind of measuring and judging going on, and then I'll either be smoking Montecristo #2s and drinking 30 year old Laphraoig with my Father and Grandfathers for all eternity, or wearing those scratchy gray flannel Catholic school uniform trousers and watching bad 6th grade health class filmstrips for all eternity.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I'll weigh in with the Scriptural opinion.

According to the Bible, we all have souls given us by God that are eternal in nature.

Depending on what response we had to God's free offer of salvation in jesus Christ, our souls eternal destination will be either heaven or hell.

Hell is a place of eternal punishemnt for our CHOICE to reject God's free gift. I am not aware of any Scriptural indication of what happens to our bodies if our souls go to hell. There is scriptural indication that we will be able to feel pain.

Heaven is a place of eternal communion with God. In heaven, we will receive new bodies, free of the defects we suffered thru here on earth - ones like where I always misspell the three letter word "the" - as "hte" [:D]

You seem to be asking more about an "aura" that surrounds our body, present when living, but not when dead.

That is possible. Nothing in Scripture either confirms that, or denies the possibility. Scripturally, we do have an immaterial soul that could be regarded as an aura, and would require a destination when we die.

Not intended to be offensive. just answering the question as best I know how.

In deference to Ed's wishes to not have a religious war, I'll only answer ???'s via e-mail.

Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember hearing on Art Bell's show that in the 20's there was an experiment documented in a medical magazine where a terminally ill person was being weighed at the before during at the time of death. IIRC right when clinical death occured there was a loss of 2 ounces. Like I said, it was an actualy scientific experiment and they took into account all variables that would have caused that loss of weight but could not explain what happened. Some people believe it was the soul or consciouness leaving the body. I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd rather die believing that i'm going to end up in internal life in heaven. Rather than being an old fart and realizing my life was a waste of fucking time.
Life is pointless if it doesn't have higher meaning.

You're born, you goto school, you start working
you get married, you  have kids, you retire, you die.

What a bullshit existance.
The only thing stopping me from killing every motherfuck who pisses me off is the belief that if i don't kill them i just might end up in internal life
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok Ed, I'll bite...

[b]Caution - religious beliefs being shared[/b]

I believe (notice how I started this) that the
soul is the only thing that gives our bodies
life, that it is formed at the time of conception, and that it is eternal.  Death,
IMHO is nothing more than the seperation of the
soul from the body.  The soul lives on, and will
end up in one of two places, depending on
decisions made by the person during the time
that their body and soul were together.  

I don't believe anyone "dies", and that's the
end of the story.  'Sides - it ain't scriptural.

garandman, feel free to add appropriate
references if you wish....
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#9]
BCBUD,

I'll second what you said!

I'll also add that being "saved" (don't roll your eyes) will change your perspective on things.  I've had enough personal experiences to be convinced that there is a God and I'll be with him.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I remember hearing on Art Bell's show that in the 20's there was an experiment documented in a medical magazine where a terminally ill person was being weighed at the before during at the time of death. IIRC right when clinical death occured there was a loss of 2 ounces. Like I said, it was an actualy scientific experiment and they took into account all variables that would have caused that loss of weight but could not explain what happened. Some people believe it was the soul or consciouness leaving the body. I don't know.
View Quote

Elizabeth Kubler-Ross (sp?) did quite a bit
of writing on this subject.  I haven't read it
myself, but my older sister did quite a bit of
research on the subject for a college paper she
wrote.  The book was "On death and dying" I
think.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Your soul is recylced.   Old souls are found in people that have common sense.  Young souls are found in everyone else.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#13]
worm pie...
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Obviously this is all opinion, since none of us have died and lived to tell about it.  But given that caveat, I more or less agree with garandman.

I believe we were all made in God's image to begin with.  When we die, although our physical bodies decay, our essence (soul, if you will) lives on.  Either in community with God or apart from him.  Those who love and trust God will get to be united with him and experience life as it was meant to be--full of the joy, challenges, growth, and relating and without the pain, futility, discord, and decay.  Those who hate and reject God will experience life as it truly is without him and his grace--full of emptiness, frustration, isolation, darkness, fear, and regret.  The Book also promises a resurrection of the body for all of us, and a final judgment.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I believe in reincarnation. You died and come back as human (if we did good deed on the previous life) or as an animal or worse (been condemned to hell for eternity).
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I too believe in the God of the Judeo-Christian faiths.

Our bodies rot away (ashes to ashes, dust to dust) but our souls are held accountable for our behavior while here on earth.

The other day I ran into a quote that sums up religion rather well.

"To those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
To those who do not believe, no explanation is possible." - Franz Werfel, The Song of Bernadette

Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Worm food.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I believe that what is being called a "soul" is nothing more than the sum total of the electrical signals traveling throughout the nerve structures in our brains.  The foundation for this, is rooted in bioliogy, but once you're born/developed, experience takes over.  Over time, the memories, experiences, and behavior contained in these impulses housed in these structures, becomes what most call someones individual "soul".

Once the power is turned off, all this is lost.  Ergo, we die and that's that!
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#19]
well, i have been debating this topic with a good friend for 4 years. niether one of us is religious in any modern sense. yet we disagree about the end.

he says there is an electrical current, much like those that fire our synapses, that has nowhere to go when the body dies. since it has proven that one can not destroy energy, it must go somewhere. i believe that it hovers around the body for a while, like static electricity. then it must go to the nearest polar attraction, be it the operating table, the bear that killed the person or the rock that the deceased hit. eventually the charge is just absorbed into the greater mass of said polarity, and recycled as a low voltage energy source.

he believes that the charge can not exist in a vaccuum, and therefore "shoots" rapidly into the nearest living creature. i then asked him why MD's who are nearest to death on a daily basis don't glow in the dark, he had no immidiate answer, and the debate continues...

but if you think about our arguments, they could explain many religion's beliefs. for instance, the recycling of energy into another being could explain the primitive Buddhists version of re-incarnation, similarly, the Native Americans (Indians, whatever) say that in each one of us is an animal spirit - where did it come from? the electricity from the bear he killed, the deer she ate, etc.

there is even room for a Christian rendition, if the charge finds a nice, stable, familiar home, it could be construed as paradise or Heaven. if the deceased was say, a cat-hater, and his charge ends up in a cat, then it could be considered hell.

again, these are unfinished, speculative arguments, which obviously are difficult if not impossible to prove. interesting topic, though, i believe the debate as a whole began at the dawn of human language, and will never end.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was a scientific oversight. The loss was from the bowels and various sphincters relaxing. They just missed it. [:)]
Seriously though, I think we become compost. I can already see myself in both my son and daughter. That is where I'll live on.
C6
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Life is just a ocnvient vessel for DNA to occupy, DNA has one drive and that is to reproduce.  If DNA has suchan overwhemling biological need to reproduce, then it also has to elminate past genreations.

So basically, it boils down to worm food.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I believe that when I die, a person very close to me that has gone on before will meet me and lead me to God.  There, in the presence of God, I shall be content.  I am hopeful that I am chosen.  I have tried to live a good life and although I make mistakes, I try to make amends.  I have taken the Lord Jesus Christ as my savior and try to live my life as He would have me do so.  I only hope that my efforts have been good enough.  I pray that they have been.

Anyway, that is what I believe.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#23]
What happens when you die?

The greedy relatives and the state start fighting over your possesions like vultures! And that's a fact!

DaMan

Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#25]
There in lies half the basis for religion.

The first being the unknown and our (humans) desire to explain it because we fear that which we do not understand. This is the reason that early man had to have various Gods to explain all that contemporary science at the time had not explained. Hence we had valcano Gods, etc..

But the ultimate need we humans have that requires, demands a God is our inability to accept that this is all there is. We can not accept that once we die we are placed in the ground and worms eat us. Hence we have created the ultimate God to dispell those fears of our life being no more than we have here on earth. We must feel that our deceased loved ones go on to something and that we, ourselves, do not simply parish from existants. (Notice how some people always get religion just after they have lost a loved one or they, themselves are nearing death?)
Playing on that, the greatest fear to man of all time, is a multi-billion dollar industry.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Religion...[:|]..how many people have been killed or killed others in the name of god or country.[crusades,holy war,WWI,WWIIetc.] Thou shalt not kill..What a bunch of crap.All religious institutions are TAX free and NEED more MONEY ALWAYS! What a religious/governmental 'mass' control through colusion.Seperate = church and state.What a bunch of crap.Religion = opiate of the masses + tax free living for the fancy boys.Me dead..hopefully recycled into dog food.period
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

All the muscles relax and the body can void.  Did anyone check for 2oz of urine?
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not going to go on another one of my religious tirades but I do believe that many of you need to thoroughly research the religion(s) which you claim to practice.  At least try to be consistent with the practices of your religion.

What Happens When We Die?
View Quote

You have made a large assumption that must precede this question.  Your first question should have been: Are we alive?  What evidence do you have that you are?

I suspect that the majority of those who claim to be religious cannot answer this question.  If you believe in an afterlife, what is there to prove that you are not already there?    
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#31]
The Ben Franklin quote by thebeekeeper1 sums it up pretty well.  My personal belief in Jesus Christ goes a lot deeper, but I'm not going to put anyone down for their personal beliefs or lack of them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I believe that I don't have a clue as to what happens next.  I believe that you don't either.

I believe that everyone picks a belief system out of a hat, either by choice or by default, and that the only division is between those who admit it, and those who insist that they know better than all the rest of us.

The first group are honest people, the second are lying to us and themselves.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm not going to go on another one of my religious tirades but I do believe that many of you need to thoroughly research the religion(s) which you claim to practice.  At least try to be consistent with the practices of your religion.

View Quote

I believe it is both AGAINST Ed's express wishes AND beyond the pale of human decency to ANONYMOUSLY call people a hypocrite.

He didn't want a religious war here, but have the guts to level that accusation at a specific person, and then BACK IT UP with specifics, or don't EVER make it.

Don't hide behind innuendo. Got something to say??? - SAY IT. Or put a lid on it.

Be a man, or at least try to act like one.

You OWE that to the rest of us.

Pretty gutless, punk.

GRRRRRRRRR
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I believe it is both AGAINST Ed's express wishes AND beyond the pale of human decency to ANONYMOUSLY call people a hypocrite.
View Quote

What makes you assume he meant you, GM?  I didn't get that out of his post at all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Simple you die and become worm fodder, unless you are cremated that is.

As an added bonus as a Canadian the Feds are going to harass my wife and kids to obtain several of my toys....!!

Mind you they have all been trained already for when the Feds come to the door..." Guns??  What guns??  Geee we never knew that Daddy had any guns and we would not know where to look for them!!

Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Depending on how strong a persons will is, I believe some of us will be "worm food"... a soul with no desire to go on will go nowhere. Others will travel to other dimensions and have a "new" form of existence. Some, who have a great will to stay on earth will indeed do so - perhaps being born as a new person or even as a ghost (make fun if you will, but I do believe in them). If there is a god, I do not see him sending any of his children he loves so much to a "hell" - a loving father would never do such a thing.

I will go on - I can feel that much.

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, that is not a very Christian attitude.[:P]

ELEF, not all of us blindly accept that WORD the same as some of us do not believe in the great valcano God or believe in magic.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#38]
If you are born again and accept Jesus Christ as your personal saviour, you will spend eternity with him.
This is not my opinion it is His Word.
View Quote

Ah, okay, I'll put you down for group one, then...
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

What makes you assume he meant you, GM?  I didn't get that out of his post at all.
View Quote

What makes you assume that I assumed that he was talking about me???

He used the phrase "many of you." I used the word "people." last I checked, those were BOTH plural terms.

My post SPECIFICALLY indicated that he owed this decency to "US."

Ahhh, yes. Those good old reading and comprehension classes are a-payin' off now, baby.  

[}:D]

Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why don't you answer some of my questions?  We'll see who runs and hides like a boy behind his mothers skirt.  But watch out!  I'll confuse you with my devil's logic and reasoning!
View Quote

Yeah, come and git some in your "questions" thread.    [}:D]

God has already thought of EVERY question you got. And put the answers in His Bible.

Lookin' forward to it.  [:D]

What can I say?? I, garandman, made an honest mistake here. I offer my most sincere apologies to Maud_Dib, and hope no one thinks less of him for anything I have done. It actually took him several tries to show me my error, but now I see it. Again, my apologies to all, ESPECIALLY Maud_Dib.

Suffice???

Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you are born again and accept Jesus Christ as your personal saviour, you will spend eternity with him.
This is not my opinion it is His Word.
View Quote

Short and to the point. Also very true.

A personal relationship with Jesus Christ is the only way to escape eternity in hell. You were created to live forever. The choice to accept Jesus means you spend that eternity with him in paradise. To reject Him is to spend eternity apart from the Creator in the torment of hell.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Somebody else gets to carry the trash out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#44]
"It's said that Crazy Horse had the power to dream himself into the real world and leave this illusion behind..."
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#45]
What happens is you turn to dust. I hope while I'm still here I have done something to make the  world a better place....
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
"It's said that Crazy Horse had the power to dream himself into the real world and leave this illusion behind..."
View Quote

Now that I believe.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't you answer some of my questions?  We'll see who runs and hides like a boy behind his mothers skirt.  But watch out!  I'll confuse you with my devil's logic and reasoning!
View Quote

Yeah, come and git some in your "questions" thread.    [}:D]

God has already thought of EVERY question you got. And put the answers in His Bible.

Lookin' forward to it.  [:D]

View Quote

So now you've decided to edit my replies because I disagree with your religious views huh?  Why is it that you don't want people to see what you really are?  I ask that you repost my response to your insults immediately.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey... moderators editing replies? That is BS! [:(!]

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Personally, I think that death is the end.  The more we find out about personality, the more we discover that who we are is a function of three things: our brain structure, our memory and our body chemistry.  When people have one of those factors change, their personality changes, right down to favorite color and what sort of mate they prefer.
Since the brain is gone after death, I can't think of any way that a "spiritual" portion of us could duplicate its chemistry and structure, or how our memories (which are not like books in a library, but are active, dynamic things) could be passed on to any nonmaterial portion of us.
Therefore, if there is such a thing as a soul, it won't be a continuation of me and I don't care what happens to it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Oh, calm down children.

It is OBVIOUS something happened as I edited my REPLY WITH QUOTE to your post.

Please. The claim that I'm editing your post is pathetic.

If you WERE a moderator, you would see how EASY it is to make that mistake.

try decaf, boys.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top