Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 6:05:55 PM EDT
I turned in my badge today after 27 1/2 years. Retiring after walking the walk, talking the talk of enforcing the law. I'll be getting a retirenent badge and ID that says Retired. But of course it won't seem the same. Law enforcement gets in the blood, you enjoy helping others and getting the bad guys off the streets.
            Bluedevil [devil]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for your service!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's to you enjoying some time off now. [beer]

You deserve it.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Heres to having a normal life [beer]
Heres to having weekends off [beer]
Heres to holidays off [beer]
Heres to no court, range, training or in-service on your days off [beer]
Heres to getting home on time [beer]
Heres to not having to beg for days off [beer]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats...I'm only 5 years and a few months in so I can't even begin to imagine retirement.  

What are your plans?

How many people have told you that you'll be wanting to go back within a year?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, we'll see ya working at a Courthouse somewhere within a year, I'm sure. They never can really "leave".[:)]

One thing, I hear about guys' health always seriously declining immediately upon retiring, so make sure to eat healthy and get a little exercise every once and a while. Those 27 and half years do more things to your body that you realize. ENJOY a LONG retirement.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not so bad.  I'm out since 96.  The first day I just sat at home looking out the window.  I actually go out now sometimes.

Seriously, its real nice not looking over your shoulder every day, second guessing every street action and letting the youngsters get there first.  Best of luck to you and keep busy, I started a new career.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll do ok I have another job as a consultant making $52K a year. So until I am 62 I'll keep working.
            Bluedevil [devil]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations on a well-earned retirement.

Take good care of yourself, and enjoy life for a while...
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:01:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Good luck in retirement. Just think no midnights, naked drunks giving you a hard time, or just dealing with idiots for 8 hours a day. All the fishing and hunting you want to do.

If you get bored just go to the US Marshalls office in your area and do court room security for $18 an hour.

Take care
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats BD!
Nice to see one of our own get out the door.
Now YOU can be the naked drunk at midnight!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:18:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats brother,

take time to enjoy the finer things in life, we just had one of our guys killed in the LOD, 8 days to go until retirement, sad isn't it.  

Bryan  
Ontario Provincial Police
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#17]
cograts,enjoy yourself travel, eat right, exercise,and just think you now have more time to read this board and laugh your ass off!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:43:32 AM EDT
[#19]
congrats,
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for putting it on the line for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you for your service to the community and enjoy a long and happy retirement!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I am happy and sad for ya. Happy because you made it & deserve it. Sad since it is a void that needs to be filled.

Those who say no more, having to work weekends or Holidays. No more court range training etc.
Then here is to a normal life...Well that was your normal life.

Now you have to find things to keep you busy and in good health. Have to find people to talk to. My retirement is a little different, but still I miss those normal things we would bitch about. Having to do OT on a Holiday
Having to do some sort of Bull Crap Training on your pass day.
I don't know about you but I miss the people I hung with after work. Now when they come over it is hard to find something to talk about. Not being in the Loop.

I miss the ability I had to maybe change the out come for a person’s life. Either get them help for assistance, Give them the info for a NA or AA meeting in the area. See I was able to do that at there lowest. Going into a hospital after a death and being revived. To look them in the face hand them a book and say you have another chance. What’s it going to be.

Get the landlord too get the hot water on for an elderly couple or one with a newborn. Talk to the kids in the same streets where I grew up and Bull shitted with them. Letting them know they had a choice in life to make.
Maybe get a woman out before she got beat up again or her kid raped.
Being with my partners knowing my back was covered and they also knew the same. Man there is so much of what I miss and so far have found nothing to take its place.

I wish you better luck than I am having, because you had a harder job then me being a LEO. I didn't have to make that one big decision. If I pull this gun out am I going to pull the trigger and change many lives.

I find we don't just hand in a badge and instant presto you are no longer a LEO or I am no longer a FDNY/EMS LT. It will be with us the rest of our lives. Are there anything normal that we can do and enjoy our self. In my case I wish those Dam towers didn't fall and that’s what I went out on. I hope you will find it an easier transition.

Good Luck & God Bless
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for serving your community, and in turn, all of us.

God bless!

gwen
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:19:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well I am happy and sad for ya. Happy because you made it & deserve it. Sad since it is a void that needs to be filled.

Those who say no more, having to work weekends or Holidays. No more court range training etc.
Then here is to a normal life...Well that was your normal life.

Now you have to find things to keep you busy and in good health. Have to find people to talk to. My retirement is a little different, but still I miss those normal things we would bitch about. Having to do OT on a Holiday
Having to do some sort of Bull Crap Training on your pass day.
I don't know about you but I miss the people I hung with after work. Now when they come over it is hard to find something to talk about. Not being in the Loop.

I miss the ability I had to maybe change the out come for a person’s life. Either get them help for assistance, Give them the info for a NA or AA meeting in the area. See I was able to do that at there lowest. Going into a hospital after a death and being revived. To look them in the face hand them a book and say you have another chance. What’s it going to be.

Get the landlord too get the hot water on for an elderly couple or one with a newborn. Talk to the kids in the same streets where I grew up and Bull shitted with them. Letting them know they had a choice in life to make.
Maybe get a woman out before she got beat up again or her kid raped.
Being with my partners knowing my back was covered and they also knew the same. Man there is so much of what I miss and so far have found nothing to take its place.

I wish you better luck than I am having, because you had a harder job then me being a LEO. I didn't have to make that one big decision. If I pull this gun out am I going to pull the trigger and change many lives.

I find we don't just hand in a badge and instant presto you are no longer a LEO or I am no longer a FDNY/EMS LT. It will be with us the rest of our lives. Are there anything normal that we can do and enjoy our self. In my case I wish those Dam towers didn't fall and that’s what I went out on. I hope you will find it an easier transition.

Good Luck & God Bless
View Quote

You never know when your training will come in handy "on the outside" so you'll never be really retired.  Besides you can watch Third Watch and criticize the show for be such BS and so innacurate.  It's in syndication now and that means you get to do it a few times a day.LOL

Battalion Chief Mike Moran.  Your not forgotten buddy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#25]
BD:
Congratulations Sir on making it to retirement. I salute you and wish you continued success as a consultant.

And still keep that fresh reload handy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top