Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2001 7:06:04 AM EDT
I wish I could find someone that could refinish AR recievers the dull grey color, Like early M16's and Sp-1's.
I'm talking about re-anodizing, not Moly sprayed on stuff.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe this came up on the board a while ago.
I would call Colt and ask if they would refinish
the weapon for you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
btt
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#3]
you might wanna check with DPMS.

i seem to remember them having an option for Hartford Horsey gray when you get them to re-anodize. ($35)

other anodizing houses run ~$125 for a variety of colors.

scott out
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I wrote DPMS and this is the reply:

" . . .We can hardcoat anodize for $35.00, and teflon for an additional $30.00.  We
can only guarantee a deep black with both processes, however.

Thanks,
Jared (e-sales)...."
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Arizona Response Systems
5501 North 7th Avenue
Phoenix, Arizona 85013-1755
phone 623-873-1410

METACOL III is the best firearm coating available and has made all other coatings obsolete. METACOL III is a bonded, solid-film lubricant. Unlike paint, it will never chip, peel, bubble, or crack and is thin enough (.0003" to .0007") to coat the most delicate internal components

The dark gray is a perfect match for Colt-style gray anodizing (AR-15, SP-1, AR-10).

Link Posted: 8/11/2001 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#6]
i have a couple of StG58's done in MetaCol III Satin Black by ARS.

it is a sprayed and baked on coating and appears smooth as all teflon/moly coatings.  

with metal to metal contact/scraping, it does chip and peel.  ARS warrantees the work for life so you can get it redone if you feel it's not looking good enough anymore.

the color may match but will not, upon close examination, look (in texture) like original Colt's gray anodizing (painted surface vs. anodizing pores).

if you get both upper and lower receivers done to match, then there is no problem with cosmetics.

scott out
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not interested in any of the spray on & heat 'em up moly finish's.
I'm interested in re-anodizing Colt Grey.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]
here's the shop that Kurt Wala of KKF recommends:

[url]http://www.checkmatecustom.com/Default.htm[/url]

you can contact Colt but expect 9mos to a year wait w/o your rifle.  

scott out
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:33:10 AM EDT
[#9]
bump
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 6:04:18 AM EDT
[#10]
last time I called colt, they told me they only do it in black now, no colt grey.  All the companies out there I know of are only doing the moly type stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top