BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2002 8:45:35 PM EDT
Pretty Scary Stuff....

[img]ubb.plainsmanscabin.com/banners/ki4u-1.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.ki4u.com/transpacific.htm[/url]

[url]www.RadMeters4U.com[/url]

I just ordered a bunch of "goodies" from Shane over at Ki4U.  
He is one of the best resources for nuke preparedness.

Now I just need to move out of the PRNJ and down to Texas.
Are you listening Don R ??  
[:D]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, have they actually started the exchange, or are we talking theoretical fallout? Don't play with my head at night...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW, the propogation of fallout depends on many factors. Including the size of the warheads, the level of detonation over ground zero, the position of the airstreams, etc.....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#4]
We'll probably feel more financial fallout.  Thoes Wall St. guys get the jitters over anything.  I can see the market droping and people getting layed off like after 9/11.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Great marketing!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I would say no - but that's just my .02

Eric/Tyler
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
it wont happen
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#8]
They detonated a bunch of nukes in Nevada, but there was also substantial fallout that wasn't well understood at the time. The Iodide-131 fallout probably caused many fatal thyroid cancers over the years, according to one study.

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002/02/28/usat-nuke.htm[/url]

Figure worst case in Kashmir is 100 or so detonations. That's roughly equal to the Nevada test programs totals, all in the space of perhaps a few days. On the other hand, maybe the jet stream will take the fallout to Mexico or sumpthin'.

No radiation sickness deaths in the US are likely, but you could bite the big one 20 years from now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Iodide-131 has a [b]STRONG[/b] affinity for the thyroid gland. Best treatment? Prevention, by loading up on iodine supplements, increasing kelp in your diet, or talking kelp supplements....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#10]
But we have spent the last 50 years tracking the levels of Iodide 131 and the incidents of thyroid cancer in humans and livestock as a result of those above ground tests. It travelled a thousand to 1500 miles- not 10,000 to 15,000 miles

You notice that its China and Russia who are franticly trying to get these two to talk to each other now and not us. They are finding out that it is a big mistake to help countries in your own back yard develop nuclear weapons... depending on the time of year and therefore the wind direction THEY could get fallout-from weapons they helped create!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You notice that its China and Russia who are franticly trying to get these two to talk to each other now and not us. They are finding out that it is a big mistake to help countries in your own back yard develop nuclear weapons... depending on the time of year and therefore the wind direction THEY could get fallout-from weapons they helped create!
View Quote

They will reap what they so.  The most basic of human concepts, and yet so many people think they are immune to the cycle.  If Pakistan and India do go live, it will definitely suck for Russia and China, but I won't feel sorry for them.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember when the old Soviet did nuclear testing in the late 50s & early 60s, we could detect higher levels of background radiation in the US. We all talk about I-131, what about the radioactive version of cesium? which is also a by-production of a nuclear explosion. It has chemical properties similiar to calcium. It gets absorbed into children's bodies and is deposited into the bones.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:04:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We'll probably feel more financial fallout.  Thoes Wall St. guys get the jitters over anything.  I can see the market droping and people getting layed off like after 9/11.
View Quote

I think I'll agree with that..  
I am surprised that the economy hasn't plummeted more than it has considering the current world terror climate.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:05:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Great marketing!
View Quote

Nah... Just pure paranoia. [;)]

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:08:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not enough to worry about ... they dropped bunches of nukes in the Nevada desert ...
View Quote

I honestly never gave any thought about the "contamination" from the Nevada tests.

I do remember reading that the original Trinity test site is open to the public, so I would assume that the area is safe enough...?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:16:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:42:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Good thread.

The only certain thing is the uncertainty.

ki4u.com is a great site
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:23:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Iodide-131 has a [b]STRONG[/b] affinity for the thyroid gland. Best treatment? Prevention, by loading up on iodine supplements, increasing kelp in your diet, or talking kelp supplements....

Scott

View Quote

Go on the ice-cream diet...
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:37:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I am become death, destroyer of worlds.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:45:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I laugh at the thought of fall out. I grew up in a city where the trees buzzed at night.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:52:44 AM EDT
[#21]
We all talk about I-131, what about the radioactive version of cesium? which is also a by-production of a nuclear explosion. It has chemical properties similiar to calcium. It gets absorbed into children's bodies and is deposited into the bones.
View Quote

I think you might be confusing cesium with strontium.  Cesium (Cs) is an alkali metal like sodium or potassium; strontium (Sr) is an alkaline earth metal like calcium or magnesium.

[img]http://helios.augustana.edu/physics/301/periodic-table.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:10:03 AM EDT
[#22]
The chart above does not have a block for dilithium crystal-- must be out of date.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Speaking of which I am hungery
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I do think we will recieve fallout.  I don't think it will be enough to cause any immediate damage. It may or may not be enough to cause problems over time.  All those nukes at once are a different situation than the test in nevada which were spread out over many years.

Overall I don't think we have too much to worry about from radiation, espescially since our scientists will be all over the situation checking it out.

I DO worry about the aforementioned economic impact.  The real downside of a global economy is the fact that two of the worlds great and uncared about shitholes can utterly mangle our economy for a time.  If they go live the stock market instantly loses record amounts, it will make the post 9/11 drop look like a mid-day correction.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top