Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2003 8:14:03 PM EDT
I know you will be able to have evil features like flash hidder, folding stock, new production hi cap mag's, and a bayonet lug, but, can I then thread my barrel?

Also, as it stands now you can put a drop-in auto sear into preban AR15's;  will you be able to do the same with all AR15's if the ban sunsets, or can you only put the auto-sears into pre-1994 AR15's?  
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I know you will be able to have evil features like flash hidder, folding stock, new production hi cap mag's, and a bayonet lug, but, can I then thread my barrel?
View Quote

Yes

Also, as it stands now you can put a drop-in auto sear into preban AR15's;  will you be able to do the same with all AR15's if the ban sunsets, or can you only put the auto-sears into pre-1994 AR15's?  
View Quote

I don't know anything about full auto shit.

TS

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes

View Quote

[red]I don't know anything about full auto shit.[/red]

TS

View Quote

[lol]I like how eloquently you put the latter response [:)]   Thank you for the info though.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If the drop in auto sear is registered you can put it into any weapon you want to. If it (the auto sear) was not an a form 4 prior to the 86 ban if you put it into any weapon you are a felon, if you own a weapon that it will work on, or can be made to work on, and the sear at the same time you are a felon.

Edited to add: As I understand it, the DIAS is considered a machine gun by itself, so you can put it in a postban and while the DIAS is in the post ban it can have all of the evil features you want including a seven inch barrel, because while the DIAS is in it it is not a semiauto assault weapon, it is a machine gun, which is regulated very differently than a semi auto.
View Quote

Correct.

There are basically 2 classes of transferrable MGs:

Pre68 Transferables - These were manufactured "as" machine guns and include vintage Thompsons, Stens, MP40s, original M-16s, original AK-47s, etc. The receiver constitutes the machine gun. In 1968 the importation and registration of machine guns was banned.

Pre86 Title II Transferable Conversions - These are guns that began life as a semi auto and were legally converted to and registered as a machine gun by virture of a registered sear or a reconfigured and registered receiver. These include AR-15 to M-16, HK94 to MP5 and semi AK47 to full auto AK47 registered conversions. Most modern registered MGs are actually Title II conversions. Very few genuine MP5s were imported prior to 1968 (thus being transferable to individuals and not dealer only pre may samples) and are worth 4x as much as the 10,000 sear conversion MP5s.

But back on topic, IF you have a registered M16 conversion sear you can put it in ANY ar15 pre or post ban. Once installed the rifle is now a registered MG and can have as many named features as you like. It actually makes sense to install in a postban (with the correct preban configration upper) and save the wear and tear on the preban rifle.

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you? Yes to all of the above. But, [b]will[/b] you be able to? That's another question. I think there might be a problem adding the bayonet lug. Since it's part of the front sight tower, and the front sight tower has to be matched or indexed with the barrel, there could be a problem...
Unless you want to install one of the two-piece
bayo lugs that clamps on to the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Once this ban goes away '94 will no longer be in guns owners vocabulary. All AW will be the SAME. Now, the DIAS, of course you can put it in your rifle as long as it is registered. Im not sure what the going rate is for DIAS though.

The question I have is,... say I do put a RDIAS in my AR it is now registered right? So now, if I want to make the same rifle SBR do I have to register and pay excise tax for that too?

Just curious....
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The question I have is,... say I do put a RDIAS in my AR it is now registered right? So now, if I want to make the same rifle SBR do I have to register and pay excise tax for that too?

Just curious....
View Quote

ERm, not sure what you are asking but...

The RDIAS is the 'machine gun'.

It makes any rifle it is installed in temporarily a 'machine gun'.  

A 'machine gun' is a specific item in the NFA.

A 'machine gun' is not an SBR, or a Rifle, or a Pistol, or a AOW.  

So while thre RDIAS is in the rifle no you dont have to do paperwork to 'SBR' (or worry about 'evil features') the 'temporarily not a rifle but a machine gun'.  Now if you take the RDIAS out of a firearm that without the RDIAS would be considered something other than a 'normal' rifle or pistol (ie, if it would be considered  a SBR, or a AW, or AOW - and if it would be considered a pistol it better not have EVER had a shoulder stock, in any form), you have committed a federal crime.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:57:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Preban bling eliminator
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top