Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/31/2002 8:13:34 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:17:59 PM EST
Handgun accuracy. Man I suck at shooting handguns. I know it just a matter of practicing, but I just don't have the chance, or lately the funds.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:36:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2002 8:38:01 PM EST by texastactical]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:45:54 PM EST
I would love to continue working on my handgun shooting. However, as I said funds are low. So fees for range and ammo comes after all bills and such are paid. I have only been shooting handguns for about 4yrs now, whereas, I have been shooting rifle since 9yo. So my accuracy with rifle is 1000 better than with handguns. Have taken 2 tactical handgun classes and I know what to work on, just need the disposable income to allow me to do that now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:52:02 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 9:08:17 PM EST
I walked home from work (car quit last August so I've been walking a lot) a couple of months ago carrying a 1,000 rounds of ammo that I had shipped to work (since UPS can't seem to ever find my house). The guy I sometimes ride with will not let me carry ammo in his car (he is terrified of guns), so I have to walk home with anything gun related that I have shipped to work. It's about six miles home and some of it is hilly. I also take a couple of short-cuts through some woods and a state park. I found-out quickly that if I had to carry ammo, magazines, food, a rifle, and other survival stuff, that I couldn't outrun anyone that wasn't carrying a load. I also decided that I needed a backpack. My arms were screaming in pain by the time I had walked a mile. It just made me think about my "bug-out" plans. I would have to go a lot slower than I had previously thought. My old plan was to walk 25 miles to a friend's place, that has a bombshelter, three years worth of food stored, a generator, 10K gallons of diesel, etc., but that now seems like less of a good idea. What have I done to improve? My wife has been sick, so I've been picking-up groceries on my way home. Carrying several bags (thank god for plastic bags) twice a week has really helped improve my tolerance/stamina for carrying long distances. It's much easier now than it was the first few times I did it. If powdered milk didn't taste so bad, I'd have it made. A gallon of milk gets very heavy. Of course if I did have to bug-out, I'd be very happy to have a couple of gallons of water to carry so it isn't completely bad practise.z
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 9:12:12 PM EST
Weakness in my training? Just about every facet of defensive handgunning except aiming and pulling the trigger. I haven't been to a supervised range yet that will let you present from a holster or shoot prone, though I certainly haven't been to all of them in the Houston area. So, other than expensive training schools, where the hell does one practice/learn defensive handgunning skills? Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 9:20:15 PM EST
I need to work on keeping both eyes open when shooting handguns and for close in rifle work. I also need work on rifle follow through. My biggest deficit, however is my physical condition. zoom - glad your getting in shape, but your friend is a total ninny.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 11:38:11 PM EST
Weakness in my training? Just about every facet of defensive handgunning except aiming and pulling the trigger.
View Quote
That's a great point. No matter how much time you spend at the range, if you can't present the weapon, all that practise is worthless. I've practised these skills while at home and dryfiring. Obviously, make sure the gun is not loaded. While you're at it, make sure it isn't loaded. Do I need to say that again? Anyway, even if I could practise drawing from a holster at the range, I wouldn't want to try drawing from a concealed location with a loaded gun. While the chance of shooting myself in the leg (or worse) isn't great, but considering you're going to do it many times and try to do it as quickly as you can, it's just too risky. Do it while dry firing it at home is my solution.
...but your friend is a total ninny.
View Quote
He is a nice guy. He's former city cop on disability. He said he investigated several murders a month for years, and he lost partial use of his left arm from a shoulder injury obtained while trying to keep from getting shot. Even though this was many years ago(20?), his wife told me he still has nightmares from seeing a little girl shot and killed. If I had seen his dose of blood from gunshots, I might also be gun shy. I doubt it, but I haven't been there. While I strongly disagree with him, I understand the source of his feelings and I won't insult him over it. Plus, he's the only Republican I work with, so I really appreciate his presense whenever a discussion about politics comes-up.z
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:59:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By lordtrader: I would love to continue working on my handgun shooting. However, as I said funds are low.
View Quote
I picked up a .22 rimfire handgun so I could practice more, without breaking the bank on ammo. .
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:05:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2002 4:10:59 AM EST by Dolomite]
Originally Posted By Tate: I need to work on keeping both eyes open when shooting handguns and for close in rifle work. I also need work on rifle follow through. My biggest deficit, however is my physical condition. zoom - glad your getting in shape, but your friend is a total ninny.
View Quote
Tate, If I could make a suggestion: I too have a hard time keeping both eyes open when I shoot. There's tons of stuff written out there about putting opaque tape on your non-dominant eye's safety glass lens and then gradually decreasing the amount of tape down to the point where you have just a tiny piece of transparent scotch tape to remove. I've got to admit tho, I've never tried that. One thing that I've found helpfull is shooting guns with red dot sights. I've got a Ruger .22 with a red dot, and a LEGP with a Eotech Holosight. It seems that if I spend a Sunday shooting with both eyes open, the next day during my Monday night pistol practice, I have no problem aiming with both eyes wide open. Of course, by Saturday when IDPA/IPSC match time rolls around, I've done enough dry fire practice to send me back to aiming with one eye. It's a process I'm fighting with and it takes time, don't give up on it. Another point I'd like to make to everybody: Why hasn't anyone mentioned unarmed close quarters skills? What about that super-slick tactical folder everyone's got clipped in their pocket? Remember what Abraham Maslow said about how the world is perceived if the only thing you have in your toolbox is a hammer? zoom - The lesson you learned really makes the purpose of this thread sink in, oh, and take your ninny friend shooting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:36:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:44:20 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:14:51 AM EST
Zoom: Forgive my mentioning it, but iifc, you’re NOT a young kid. Have you thought about getting maybe a mountain bike or something like that? However, maybe that would defeat the purpose of what you’re trying to do. If I had a friend whose home I was going to retreat to if things got bad, I might ask him to let me store some of my supplies at his house to begin with – less to carry later. Original topic: My own major weakness – and I’m arrogant enough to suggest the same of many members here – is lack of [b]realistic[/b] scenario training. (I would say “tactical”, but some folks would mistake that for SWAT type training.) Shooting at static targets and running between 2X4’s and through drainage ditches has its merits, and realistically is the best we can do most of the time. However, it’s not enough by a long shot. I used to conduct occasional FATS simulator training where I used to work. I was continually amazed at shooters who performed perfectly on the range but who would fall completely apart during a scenario. It just isn’t the same. (FATS, incidentally, uses a projection TV type setup to present brief use-of-force scenarios – most folks have probably seen it on TV news shows.) It is excellent training. Even better is Simunations training, which places like Thunder Ranch, etc. are beginning to incorporate into their training. It’s difficult and expensive to put on, but it’s a real eye-opener as far as how things really go down in a gunfight and how prepared you are to handle it. To me, the key to good Simunations training is realistic scenarios using serious-minded role-players. Really good Simunations training can very nearly give you post-stress traumatic disorder!! I’ve never done paint-ball, but I kinda have my doubts about a bunch of guys running around in the woods shooting each other. However, if done properly, paint-ball can come pretty close to Simunations training (and has used by LE agencies for many years for that type of training.) Also gotta agree with Dolomite regarding transitional training – going from firearm to knife, OC aerosol, impact weapon, empty-hands, etc. and, of course, simply having the endurance to fight more than a few seconds. I haven’t a clue how to fight with a knife, and yet you can have a knife in your possession almost all the time. My stick training is pretty rusty too. I’ll also add mental training, but that folds into scenario training I described above. This includes situational awareness (the easiest way to survive a gunfight is not be there when it happens!). And situational awareness includes staying on top of the latest techniques being used by the bad guys. And I’ll also agree with the money problem! Sorry for the long post!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:40:01 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:44:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By texastactical: Some very good points. You are correct the whole point of this thread is to identify our shortcomings. Once identified (critical self analization isnt easy)
View Quote
Self- analization Not easy?? That's an understatement. it sounds downright painful, and possibly immoral!!!!!!!!! [}:D] Sorry, couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:39:07 AM EST
Top Top