Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/30/2003 10:04:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2003 2:55:01 PM EDT by M4_Aiming_at_U]
[b]To all the 9 people who won. I want to thankyou for playing you did very well. Here is the location for those who could not find it:[url=http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=190904&page=3] X Marks the spot![/url] The name of the IDF K9 Unit is "Oketz". Thats where mt clue "A dof is barking at something suspicous in Israel" came from. [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p58ab74d7601e9dd47225829bbe0bc95c/fbd6435e.jpg[/img] Also, I would like the winners to describe how they felt when they finally found the thread and also the story behind their search for the treasre and what they went through! Thanks and congrats! [/b][beer] [b][green][size=5] [i]The Winners Are:[/i] 1st kickmyllama 2nd MarianLibrarian 3rd Medic08 4th Wasted-life 5th deimos 6th Junior_Gunnut 7th Not_A_Llama 8th FanoftheBlackRifle 9th NoKarma [/b][/green][/size=5] All the Current Team Members who are sponsors, please go[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=192780&page=2#1771447] here[/url] and choose the member your going to sponsor!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:08:06 PM EDT
Wow, you guys dug through two weeks of old posts to find that? Geez, you do deserve it! [beer] Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:08:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/30/2003 10:17:36 PM EDT by Furner]
wow, how did i miss that??? congrats guys/gals, you really earned it! i must have missed it because i was looking only at posts older than 14 days, and since the last post on that thread was like 13 days from the first day of the contest, i must have missed it. oh well, i got to read alot of good old posts in my search!!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:44:02 PM EDT
Lets see. I found out that Not a Llama had found the treasure and I have been giving him a hard time in the chat for a long time now. So I figured if he could do it so can I. J Like I said in one of my other posts I really thought it was going to be a really hot IDF girl showing her breasts wearing MARPAT, and who doesn’t want to see that? So I tried hard to find it. First clue I used was that it was under are nose Ie the IDF or marpat. So I started to try and find IDF then Israel and IDF in the search function. Found out really really quickly that was pointless. One search a minute and no search of the General chat were getting me know where really quickly. This is the point where I did a lot of very unfruitful hunting. I think I searched just about everywhere but where the chest was really hidden. Back to rereading all the posts in the hunt thread. This time I saw the fact that it was more then 14 days old. This small fact really narrowed down the hunt. The board doesn’t seem to keep much past 15 days. I am not going to even tell you how many posts I had read up to this point but it was a lot. Skimming thread titles I see this big thread about rockets and the “Isreal”. Now with this lovely spelling of Israel a search would be almost useless even if I had found a way to search the general chat. So I waded in to a subject that I had always steered very clear of. And you had to put it deep in didn’t you. Bingo I had found it. I saw that there were two posters that had already submitted a guess so I sat back and hoped I got it in, in time. Wake up this morning and I am a winner. WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO Thank you very much M4_Aiming_at_U for putting on this contest. NoKarma Future ar-15.com member. Now what to put on as my avatar????? If I find a pic of that hot IDF girl in marpat I will be sure to use it for my avatar to remind myself of this contest every time I post.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:24:21 PM EDT
Like searching for anything, a person has to restrict variables impeding their search. So, I made a couple operative assumptions. Well, I saw the hint that your sig had a hint, and thought the marpat bit was a bit too obvious, so I persued the IDF part. I assumed it would be present in general discussion, where it'd be easiest to hide, and where the search function wouldn't function. I also assumed it would be a multi-page thread. I knew it'd be deep in, so I adjusted arfcom settings to display the last 30 days (limit). I also decided to search from the back (in error). So then, given the seed of "IDF", one can determine that the post is probably a topic about the IDF, Israel, Palistine, or Muslims. so I went through each page, searching for 'IDF' 'Isr', 'Pal', and 'mus' (to preempt misspellings; a serendipitous decision), and then visually inspected for any other relevant posts. I hada lot of false bites, read a lot of old threads, and came across the misspelled "Isreal" thread. Click, click, click, treasure. I was tired, having spent about 2 hours on the project. Had I started from the front it would have been much easier, so I was a bit disappointed in myself, but I was glad for having won, mostly because I can't otherwise afford an arfcom membership. Thanks to M4_Aiming_at_U, and to arfcom management for running the board. Any idea when changes in our membership status will take effect?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:08:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2003 6:11:08 AM EDT by deimos]
[b]You must first be able to locate the buried treasure I left on a deserted part of this site.[/b] [b]Like an avatar or is it a pic? No avatar.[/b] After this two hints I started looking on low thread forums on the entire site, started or last posted by M4_Aiming_at_U (just M4 from now on) I found a thread where M4 presented some pictures of symbols for different versions of SKSs [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=83&t=56198[/url] And I explained why I though it was that one It has pictures as you hinted. SKS is not a very frecuented forum (“I noticed there wasnt any real discussion” and the fact that has only 142 threads) I believe what you posted to be a trasure to those collecting SKS as a way to place a real ID on them. Not to mention that someone tacked it, so a mod considered valuable info. Finally, you just posted that yesterday, so it would be on time for the contest. This is very free interpretation, but I kinda associated the lightblue/black symbols with coins :-O But as you saw on the Treasure Thread, I got a "negative on your submission" and that I had to look for a real chest. Then I started to look at all posts with more than 1 reply on all the forums I considered deserted, but I couldn't find anything, so off to the range I went (Saturday) When M4 posted this ones [b]There is a hint within my sigline. I support the IDF! More MARPAT Now For Sale!-Go to the Mil-Spec Clothing Section in the EE "The dog is barking at something suspicious in Israel"[/b] I looked at all the threads on the EE (and I mean ALL), just click and scan for pictures. After not finding anything, I searched for IDF, ISRAEL and MARPAT (just to be sure) on all the forums the search feature allowed me to search, waiting the damn 1 minute between searches. At this point, I had to go to bed as my girlfriend was kinda pissed of me ignoring her because of this contest. [:D] On Sunday I woke up and started to look again on parts I haven't looked at, untill I saw this last clue (at least for me) [b]Can you clarify if the treasure is actually in a deserted part of the site? Or is it somewhere well-traveled? Its a treasure chest on an old deserted thread.[/b] And the second I read that, I knew which thread was the one (don't know why, but GD was the only place I haven't looked on yet and I specifically remembered the original thread), I just had to find it. So I started from the last page, #74 if I remember correctly, and in like 10-20 minutes I found the thread, then the Treasure Chest and said outloud "YES" So my girlfriend came to the room and said, "cool, that means you find the damn thing and you can finally spend some time with me?" I answered "Yep, sorry about that, I just HAD to find it, you know" and she answered "you're weird" And that, boys and girls, is how I got to win a membership, thanx to M4 and not having a life [:D] NsB
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:10:18 AM EDT
Well I guess it took about a half hour or so. I just figgured it would be in the GD so I just started scanning the topics for anything to do with Isreal. Then when I would find one I would quickly scroll through it cause I knew I was looking for a pic. Having a nice fast connection helps alot too. I just finally came upon the topic & there it was. It was kinda cool cause I was just talkin with a few of the guys at Bulletfest about sending in my check & was going to do that sometime this week. Guess I lucked out. [:)] Thanks alot M4 [beer]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:37:55 AM EDT
I gave up too soon last night by only looking for posts older than 17 June - this morning I figured it had to be a newer post, but I didn't care (or have time to look), and I couldn't remember any particular threads about Israel to look for anyway. I had figured out the poster had to be Oketz or The_Sting, but I knew it was someone that didn't have very many posts. Wasted a bunch of time last weekend using the search engine in the wrong forums.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:00:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2003 10:04:20 AM EDT by Junior_Gunnut]
I read your thread and all the clues. I figured it would be a thread that had a lot of activity at one time and had "died." I looked in the EE first, because of the clue about your sig line. No luck. Then I reread your sig line and saw the part about the IDF. So, I started from the back and looked for all threads related to Israel, IDF, and marpat just in case(all the locked marpat threads [:D]) When i got to the threads I used the "Find (on this page" tool in the Edit(on a toolbar) to find Oketz(after spending some time on [url]www.isayeret.com[/url]) I finally found the thread and username. It was late and everyone was in bed, so I couldn't scream for joy, but I was saying WoooHooo inside my head[:D](along with the voices that kept pushing me on). Thanks M4_Aiming_at_U. I'll have to have a contest one day, maybe when I reach post 300, which may take a while[:)].
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:06:16 AM EDT
I didn't see the contest until after this was posted: "To all who searched the EE and found nothing. My SIG line isnt just about EE is it? I mean , there is also something NON-EE related typed in there right?", so I didn't spend alot of time in the EE, but this: "You must first be able to locate the buried treasure I left on a deserted part of this site.", had me going through all of the forums. On dial-up, that takes a while. This "Its a treasure chest on an old deserted thread." was the giveaway that told me the chest was in GD. I couldn't use the search function on the site, so I tried a Google search. That didn't work either. So I opened a window at page 74 (14 days) and worked back towards page one, from there. I opened another window at page 25 (an arbitrary number, just seemed like a good place to start) and worked towards page 74. As one page loaded, I would go through the threads relating to Israel on the other page. I don't remember what page I found it on, but I'm thinking it was somewhere between 41 and 45. Many thanks to M4.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:24:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2003 11:38:01 AM EDT by FanoftheBlackRifle]
Well, I figured from his clues that it would be something relating to the IDF, probably in relation to palestinian (sp?) terrorist groups. That narrows it down. A lot. But then I missed two little teeny weeney details -- I misinterpreted one of the clues, and looked at all the stuff OLDER than two weeks. Did that three times actually. Then I decided to go through EVERYTHING in the general discussion forums one time before I gave up. All in all it took me four hours, three of which were wasted because of the misinterpreted clue. Also, reading the first couple pages of active posts on a daily basis told me this wasn't going to be a completely hopeless cause, because there hadn't been all that many topics relating to Isreal and terrorism. After finding it and sending yet another email, I celebrated a bit, then went to bed (it was 3 or 4 AM after all and I've got an 8 AM class. I do know, however, what I'm going to use for my first avatar.....yup, I'm using the treasure chest, with a "THANK YOU M4_Aiming_at_U" on it. THANKS AGAIN!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:42:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2003 2:55:52 PM EDT by M4_Aiming_at_U]
Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle: I do know, however, what I'm going to use for my first avatar.....yup, I'm using the treasure chest, with a "THANK YOU M4_Aiming_at_U" on it. THANKS AGAIN!
View Quote
That would make me very happy! I am glad you won! Congrats to everybody! [beer]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:55:25 PM EDT
All the Current Team Members who are sponsors, please go[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=192780&page=2#1771447] here[/url] and choose the member your going to sponsor!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:01:51 PM EDT
Sponsors? how that works?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:06:48 PM EDT
[img]http://www.centroautomotores.com/treasurechest.gif[/img] Just check with FOTBR before using it [:)] NsB
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:16:08 PM EDT
hey, i think we should all use the treasure chest for our avatars for a while...dunno who originally made it though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:25:38 PM EDT
Poor Oketz, you overwrote his post, and he's not a big poster. [V]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:26:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Furner: wow, how did i miss that??? congrats guys/gals, you really earned it! i must have missed it because i was looking only at posts older than 14 days, and since the last post on that thread was like 13 days from the first day of the contest, i must have missed it. oh well, i got to read alot of good old posts in my search!!!
View Quote
Hey , I have given the go-ahead to make you a winner too. You deserve it, since you have searched a lot and spent alot of your time. Thanks for playing!
Top Top