Ok lets see how this goes...
Networks have been running smooth although we've filled the new Bandwidth again. Seems like our growth is way too fast to keep up with. 3Mbps completely filled... looking into options on additional BW and costs involved. Will be tight this year, but maybe next year we can swing it.
[i]Forgot to add, we've replaced all the backup units in the server room!!![/i]
The site has been undergoing a very large and serious code upgrade. The back end has been rebuilt for a much more scalable solution. This will basically allow us to throw machine after machine at the site if server resources ever get low. The front end was designed for this, but the back end was not. Clustering isn't a viable solution because it would hog too many resources, so this distributed solution should do VERY well. It's tested strongly so far...
I'd like to take a few minutes to highlight some of the major FORUM based changes coming...
- EMAILs from the site forums will be sent via a dead account so that people don't respond to them. [=D]
- Centralized Log Tables for bannings, locking of topics, etc. This will make it easier and faster for me to track down who did what! Not really an issue, but part of the merger process!
- Upgraded forum security. Faster, little tighter, no big deal.
- Better setup of admin forums/roles with common forums for Mods and Staff.
- Active Topic/My Active Topics fixed.
- Search upgraded to search message text
- Quotes with images will be converted by the system to URLs to cut down on BW use.
- Automailer tool will be fixed and upgraded.
- Subscription list to manage which topics you're subscribed to and the ability to manage those.
- Forums will be allowed to display different number of posts per forum. The busy forums will most likely be set higher.
- Printer friendly conversions. (Click button to generate.)
- Posts will allow a little over double their current length restriction, BUT will not allow infinite data. (Security risk!)
- Improved speed of execution and improved resource management.
- Autologin code will be upgraded and work better for those who do not use it. (Keep them logged in for the duration of their stay only...)
That sums up most of the changes finished or being finished. There's also a new set of admin tools, a new layout/gui, new web side tools, and a few other items.
On the agenda is an upgraded/completed Instant Messenger tool, a new stand alone photo sharing server and application (for team members - with an increase in disk space), and a few new outside services for hosting event pictures. (Headed up by RBAD!)
I've been working a LOT of long nights to get this done as quick as possible, so bear with me if I am late in responding to emails or messages. Also keep in mind that this upgrade will require some serious down time for the site. I'm estimating roughly a day, but can end up being 48 hours or more. (If things go smooth I expect 4-6 hours... depends on how the data is, there's a lot of back end work to do!)