Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2002 4:56:33 AM EDT
details sketchy so far but as I know it from being pretty close by:

-shootout with cops in 9th Pct. at bar located on 12th & 2nd

-perp barricades himself in bar with bar patrons as hostages

-perp shoots 1 female, 1 male

-perp supposedly has [b]explosive device[/b] on him, heard perp zip tied bar patrons and poured gasoline on them(?)

-ESU(SWAT team) rushes into bar, double-taps perp. Now a guest at Bellvue Hospital.

Should be on the news by now, more details to follow.

Any other "on the job" guys have any further details?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:04:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Well what happend?

Are they STILL in there?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You must be mistaken.  Guns are illegal in NYC.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats got to be CBGB's, we own a few teneaments down there .
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the full story:

Three Wounded in East Village Bar Shooting

Jun 16, 2002 10:12 am US/Eastern

(New York-AP) -- A man shot and wounded three people in the East Village early this morning.

Police say 34-year-old Steven Johnson of Brooklyn scuffled with a man outside Bar Veloce on Second Avenue. Johnson allegedly shot the man and then ran into the bar, where he briefly held patrons hostage and shot two others.

The standoff ended after police shot Johnson in the hip sometime after 2 A-M.

Johnson is charged with attempted murder and criminal possession of a weapon. A police spokesman says more charges may be filed.

Police say Johnson was carrying three guns and had a sword strapped to his leg.

The three victims are being treated for injuries at Bellevue Hospital. One is in serious condition and the other two are stable.

Johnson was also taken to Bellevue, where he is in stable condition.

[url=http://1010wins.com/topstories/StoryFolder/story_944460470_html]Link to Story[/url]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
OK...I have just one question.  Why did that scumbag make it to Bellvue alive?

In my world...a terrorist rat bastard like that deserves to get double-tapped all right...but the two rounds go right in his sorry POS forehead.

Now...the good people of the city and state of NY will have to go through all the trouble and expense of trying the bastard then he'll get to finish his years in the custody of the state somewhere...buffing up...playing con games and doin' drugs while he waits for the day when some dumbass state bureaucrat...maybe the Guv...decides he has paid his debt to a forgiving and merciful society...and should be paroled/pardoned.

Finally...ain't guns illegal in NYC?

Makes my teeth hurt.

[pissed]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Hillary will save him...  If he denounces gun ownership...
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#8]
shot in the hip? Hmmmn...
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmn, what I heard on police radio and what is actualy being put out are somewhat different...Hmmmmnnnnn
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Hillary will save him... If he denounces gun ownership...
View Quote

You took the words right out of my mouth.
Scott
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Waverunner,

Do you mean that at first it sounded like a possible terrorist, and now it's being put out as just your everyday lunatic?

Could it be a renagade mall ninja?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:47:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Updated info, you decide if he was a terrorist or not...of course the NY Media wants to make it a race issue and not a terrorist one, wouldn't want to alarm NY now would we?
[url]http://webcenter.newssearch.netscape.com/aolns_display.adp?key=200206162247000123241_aolns.src[/url]

Armed Man Shoots Three in Manhattan
NEW YORK (AP) - A heavily armed black man allegedly shot three people and tried to set patrons at a Manhattan bar on fire Sunday before being wounded by officers and arrested in what police said was a racially motivated attack.

Steven Johnson, 34, was charged with attempted murder after what Police Commissioner Ray Kelly described as a ``very bizarre crime by this deranged individual.''

Johnson was carrying three loaded guns, 153 rounds of ammunition and a samurai sword when he approached four white people walking in the East Village and told them: ``I have a problem with you,'' Kelly said.

Johnson shot one of the men in the upper body, followed him as he ran to the door of the bar and shot him again, police say. Johnson then entered the bar and ordered up to 40 patrons to the kitchen, police said.

A 54-year-old Asian man who owns a store next to the bar heard the shots and peeked in, and Johnson shot him in the wrist, police said.

Johnson, who was also carrying a police baton, a bottle of kerosene, a fireplace lighter and more than 100 plastic handcuffs, then allegedly forced a woman to start putting flex cuffs on the hostages while he sprayed the crowd with kerosene and fired occasional shots at police cars outside.

Witnesses told police that Johnson was ``ranting about white people and vowed revenge for thousands of years of suffering.'' Johnson said that he was having ``fun'' and that ``a real man chooses when he dies,'' Kelly said.

When Johnson pulled out the lighter, two Manhattan women jumped him, and he shot one in the leg, police said. Officers heard the shots and stormed the bar, grazing Johnson in the head and taking him into custody.

``Those two women did the right thing, a very important thing ... they were very brave,'' Kelly said.

Johnson was charged with attempted murder and criminal possession of a weapon. He had not retained a lawyer; he was in police custody Sunday evening and was unavailable for comment. There was no telephone listing for him at the address provided by police.

One victim was hospitalized in serious condition, while the other two were in stable condition. The suspect was in stable condition, police said.

Johnson lives in Brooklyn with his 10-year-old son and has been despondent since his wife died in March, neighbors told investigators.

Police who searched his home said they found a note taped to a wall that said, ``Tell the boys in blue I won't be easy.''

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:56:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:54:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Too bad he made it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:43:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:50:13 AM EDT
[#17]
From the NY Post:

June 17, 2002 --

Terrified partygoers in an East Village bar watched in horror yesterday as a crazed gunman went on a racially motivated rampage, shooting three people and spraying hostages with gasoline while threatening to burn them alive, cops and witnesses said.

"It's time for all of you crackers to pay - you know what this is about," Steven Johnson, 34, reportedly snarled as he jammed a gun against the head of one woman and ordered her to tie up 16 other hostages.

For 40 minutes, the Brooklyn gunman - armed with three handguns and an 18-inch Samurai sword - taunted his hostages as he sprayed gasoline on them and flicked a barbecue lighter, saying he wanted to see "white people die," a hostage told The Post.

The chilling ordeal unfolded in a tiny dishwashing room inside the popular hangout Bar Veloce shortly after 2 a.m.

Johnson - who's been arrested numerous times on weapons and drug charges - unleashed his fury after stopping two couples walking on 11th Street, toward Third Avenue, cops said.

"I've got a problem with you," he told one of the men, Jonah Brander, 28, as he put a .380-caliber handgun to his head and demanded his wallet, police said.

Before Brander could move, Johnson shot him in the stomach, grabbed one of the women by the hair and began dragging her toward Second Avenue, authorities said.

The woman, a 20-year- old Swede, Ellin Juselius, escaped as the gunman fired three shots.

NYU student Melanie Kaye, 20, was enjoying drinks with friends when she saw a bloodied Brander rushing into the bar, screaming, "Call 911!"

As stunned patrons watched, Kaye said, the gunman followed Brander into the bar, shot him a second time, and grabbed one of Kaye's friends, 20-year-old Robin Arzon, by the neck, pressing a gun to her head.

"It's time for my message to be heard," Johnson said, according to witnesses, as patrons fled to the back of the bar looking for an escape route, while he allegedly fired two shots into the street.

One hit Shoji Eso, 54, in the wrist; the other bullet ripped into a police car arriving on the scene.

Sixteen patrons found themselves trapped when they ran into a dishwashing room and were followed by Johnson, holding Arzon, witnesses said.

He ordered Arzon to bind the hostages' hands with plastic handcuffs and began dousing them with a flammable pinkish liquid - either gasoline or kerosene - from a spray bottle, cops said.

"I thought we were going to be raped," one of the hostages, Ann-Margaret Gidley, 23, recalled yesterday as tears welled in her eyes.

Ten other patrons escaped Johnson's wrath by running down to the basement, bending the bars on a window gate and squeezing though to freedom.

During the standoff, Johnson had two conversations with 911 operators, saying, "My name is Mr. Gun," and, "There's people here with gasoline shirts."

He also railed against the injustices of the world and said, "A real man chooses when he dies," cops said.

Sources said Johnson is believed to have AIDS, and his wife may have died in March from the disease.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Not possible.  (unless it cops -vs- cops)

Guns are banned in NYC.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#19]
continued...
Bar Veloce neighbor David Seigal heard cops yelling, "Let go of the girl! Let go of the girl!" as they tried to end the standoff.

As cops arrived, the hostages said their fears of a shootout rose as Johnson grew nervous.

Gidley and another woman charged at Johnson, knocking him off balance. As he tried to recover, he allegedly fired again at police and shot the other woman in the leg.

Police Officer Michael Gargon fired back, grazing Johnson's head as cops swarmed into the bar, ending the standoff.

Johnson was charged with attempted murder and weapons possession, and three victims were taken to Bellevue.

Brander was in serious condition; the other shooting victims were stable.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said that if it weren't for the quick thinking of the hostages and cops, it would have been a "much bigger tragedy."

Police said they later found 153 rounds of ammunition in Johnson's Williamsburg home and a message scrawled on a wall that read, "Tell the Boys in Blue I won't be easy."

Johnson also left a note for his 10-year-old son, authorities said.

"Be a good boy," it said. "Don't worry. I'll watch over you. I'll be your guardian angel."

Additional reporting by Ikimulisa Sockwell-Mason
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:57:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Anyone care to bet whether or not he'll be charged with a "hate crime"?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:23:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone care to bet whether or not he'll be charged with a "hate crime"?
View Quote

Nah. When blacks go around the bend and become renegade ninjas, they are "mentally ill", and are institutionalized. Like ol' Colin Ferguson, another NY area Ninja. Since only whites are capable of racism, they do it from hatred, and need to be locked up. [rolleyes]

Lord, I hate that I have become this cynical about race issues. I didn't use to be.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:38:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like the NYPD really had their shit together on this one.  That had to take quick thinking and a decent contingency plan on the part of the NYPD to work out that way it did ...... considering the girls rushed the guy and forced the play.  Way to go!  Now, about that marksmanship......[;)]

Ray, it would really be nice if you had any opportunity at all to lobby the system to go for the hate crime enhancers....fair is fair!
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
 Now, about that marksmanship......[;)]
View Quote

I'm wondering if the NYPD shooter was a regular patrol officer or one of the ESU guys.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:06:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Ray, was it happening in CBGB's?  I can't think of any other bar down there where the chicks would have the balls to jump some sword waving gun toting freak.

People have to learn, never mess with a woman who pierces her anus....
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Johnson, who was also carrying a police baton, a bottle of kerosene, a fireplace lighter and more than 100 plastic handcuffs,
View Quote

or zipties... I love the media

then allegedly forced a woman to start putting flex cuffs on the hostages
View Quote
Oh wait they got it right here... I'm sure they had the steel reinforcments, my bad
When Johnson pulled out the lighter, two Manhattan women jumped him,
View Quote

Only chicks in New York have the balls to do that [:P]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:10:00 AM EDT
[#26]
The name of the bar is [b]Veloce[/b] on 2nd Ave. Might have to check that place out sooner or later.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:12:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm wondering if the NYPD shooter was a regular patrol officer or one of the ESU guys.
View Quote

Was just joking....how easy is it to make a head shot on a hostage taker who is crazy and bobbing/weaving around fighting with two goth chicks??  The hit the guy, and that's what counts.   If it was a patrol officer, that's probably way above average shooting, right?  
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:39:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Was just joking....how easy is it to make a head shot on a hostage taker who is crazy and bobbing/weaving around fighting with two goth chicks??  The hit the guy, and that's what counts.   If it was a patrol officer, that's probably way above average shooting, right?  
View Quote

I'm thinking it was ESU, as the brass wouldn't send a "regular" cop in to do the job. I'm not busting on ESU/SWAT/SRT guys in anyway I think they did a great job, the "boys with the toys"
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey Wave!  That would have been the perfect place to show the legs off on your new AR10!

...the bullet passes down the barrel, dances across the street, enters through the front window, and places a speed hole in the perps forehead...
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:31:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hey Wave!  That would have been the perfect place to show the legs off on your new AR10!

...the bullet passes down the barrel, dances across the street, enters through the front window, and places a speed hole in the perps forehead...
View Quote

yeah, but it's not here yet. Will be shipped today from Castle Arms, the AR10 AND my 2002 LEGP!!! Thanks antiUSSA!
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#31]
"Police say Johnson was carrying three guns and had a sword strapped to his leg."

bar ninja wannabe?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#32]
The cop was ESU, and perp was shot in the head with an MP-5, only grazed him though. NYPD should switch to .223 for better coconut penetration.
Good shooting Mike!
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The cop was ESU, and perp was shot in the head with an MP-5, only grazed him though. NYPD should switch to .223 for better coconut penetration.
Good shooting Mike!
View Quote

C'mon Capt. you know we're taught to shoot "center of mass" at Rodman's Neck.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You must be mistaken.  Guns are illegal in NYC.
View Quote
Sound like a hate-crime though. Call the NAACP, the ACLU, Amesity International, or some scumbag lawyer. I'm sure one of these idiots can find a way to profit from this(at the expense of law-abiding taxpayers of course)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top