Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/19/2002 7:31:50 PM EDT
Uh-oh! It looks like it may be curtains for Sen. 'I Have Found A New Respect For Dr. Martin Luther King' Lott. Check out this story: [size=4]Senator Frist Challenges Lott for Leadership[/size=4] By Thomas Ferraro and Joanne Kenen WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Sen. Bill Frist of Tennessee challenged fellow Republican Trent Lott for the post of Senate majority leader on Thursday, dealing a blow to Lott's bid to remain in power after he made racially offensive remarks. Frist quickly began picking up key endorsements as Republicans tried to snuff out a nearly 2-week-old political firestorm that has undermined their efforts to rally support for their conservative agenda and reach out to minorities. Lott had no immediate comment to Frist's decision. But he has said his colleagues have accepted his repeated apologies for remarks seen as endorsing racial segregation and believes he will be majority leader when the new Congress convenes on Jan. 7. "Senator Lott has a tremendous amount of support from his Senate colleagues and should not be underestimated," a senior Senate Republican official said. Assistant Senate Republican Leader Don Nickles, who became the first Senate Republican on Sunday to suggest publicly that lawmakers consider ousting a "weakened" Lott, plans to endorse Frist, possibly as early as Friday, party sources said. Sen. John Warner, an influential Virginia Republican and incoming chairman of the Armed Services Committee, declared his support for Frist on Thursday and said Republican Sens. George Allen of Virginia and James Inhofe of Oklahoma would do so on Friday. "I am pleased to join the Bill Frist team and I can assure you the team is growing in numbers very quickly," Warner said on Capitol Hill. At least seven Republican senators are on record that they will back Lott. They include incoming Assistant Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and Senate Republican Conference Chairman Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania. Most of the 51 Senate Republicans, who plan to decide Lott's fate Jan. 6, have not taken a public position. Frist issued a brief statement, saying: "During the course of the day today, I have been approached by several of my colleagues in the Republican caucus. They said they would like to support me for majority leader of the United States Senate and asked if I would agree for them to call other colleagues to determine the viability of such an effort." "I indicated to them that if it is clear that a majority of the Republican caucus believes a change in leadership would benefit the institution of the United States Senate I will likely step forward for that role," Frist said. Warner announced later that he had spoken with Frist and they changed the statement to declare he would definitely run. RACIALLY CHARGED FUROR Lott, 61, Senate Republican leader since 1996, is trying to survive a racially charged furor he triggered two weeks ago at a 100th birthday party for retiring Sen. Strom Thurmond, a South Carolina Republican. Lott said the nation would have been better off if it had elected Thurmond as president in 1948, when he ran as a backer of racial segregation. Despite at least five public apologies, Lott has been unable to mute criticism from a number of fellow conservatives as well as scores of civil rights leaders. President Bush rebuked Lott last week, but the White House has repeatedly said it does not believe he should step down unilaterally. The administration contends the matter should be resolved by Lott's fellow senators, but administration members have privately sent signals they would like to see a change, with Frist widely viewed as their top choice. Frist won praise from the White House and fellow Republicans for heading Republican Senate campaign efforts the past two years, which helped result last month in the party winning back control of the Senate. Lott, in telephone calls from his home state of Mississippi, reached out again for support from fellow Republican senators -- many riled by White House leaks that seemed aimed at pushing him out as majority leader. "A lot of senators are upset," said a Lott backer who asked not to be identified. "Senators don't like to be told what to do. They will handle this." White House press secretary Ari Fleischer acknowledged the discontent. But he insisted the administration was staying out of the leadership fight. Regardless if Lott holds onto the job, Republicans will likely face a tough year in the Senate where the furor has already caused a split in party ranks. [url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20021220/ts_nm/politics_lott_dc&e=1&ncid=[/url] Eric The(Unsurprised)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 7:37:40 PM EDT
Is Senator Frist a doctor or surgeon? I can't seem to remember much about the guy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 7:57:36 PM EDT
He is a doctor, but more importantly he is a VOLUNTEER. thank you and good night.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:09:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:15:33 PM EDT
The sooner we get this behind us the better...don't need to drag this out. Frist is an excellant choice for Senate leader...respectable, good character, strong leader and (gasp) [b]SOUTHERN![/b] Pro gun..yes. Pro life..yes. Conservative..yes. I just hate how Lott is being crucified for no apparent reason. [b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:27:40 PM EDT
I've heard rumblings from multiple sources that Lott has threatened to resign from the Senate altogether if he is ousted as Senate Majority leader. Normally that wouldn't matter but there's a Democrat Party governor in the state he represents that would appoint a Democrat to the seat, returning it to a 50/50 Senate. Lott apparently knows this and that is why he is making an issue of it to cling to power. I'd sure like to know if it's true because if it is then I wish Islam on him. In either case Lott [b]is[/b] a racist, is a liability to the Republican party and should be eliminated.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:03:22 AM EDT
Sen Bill Frist To Challenge Sen Lott For Leadership Post So what? One moron replacing another.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:07:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By wetidlerjr: Sen Bill Frist To Challenge Sen Lott For Leadership Post So what? One moron replacing another.
View Quote
That means alot coming from a moron. Frist is being groomed for the Pres slot in '08. If not to replace dick cheney as VP sooner.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:10:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Silence:
Originally Posted By wetidlerjr: Sen Bill Frist To Challenge Sen Lott For Leadership Post So what? One moron replacing another.
View Quote
That means alot coming from a moron. Frist is being groomed for the Pres slot in '08. If not to replace dick cheney as VP sooner.
View Quote
So you know them both? That shows the kind of people you hang out with.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:21:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ar10er:
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
Huh? WTF does that mean? I personally cant stand that racist Lott, and yes he is a racist, and he is also a moron for repeatedly making the same 'mistakes'. As to Frist being groomed that is pretty obvious, he was the most prominate Senator in the recent election, he was the Senate lead in the take back the Senate campaign. He is being groomed by the Republican party to take the next step. He has pretty much already said that he would not be running for re-election when his term is up in '06. As for the people I hang with it is probably a better class of people than You, and I live over at DU making them squirm.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:35:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ar10er:
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
Huh? WTF does that mean? I personally cant stand that racist Lott, and yes he is a racist, and he is also a moron for repeatedly making the same 'mistakes'. As to Frist being groomed that is pretty obvious, he was the most prominate Senator in the recent election, he was the Senate lead in the take back the Senate campaign. He is being groomed by the Republican party to take the next step. He has pretty much already said that he would not be running for re-election when his term is up in '06. As for the people I hang with it is probably a better class of people than You, and I live over at DU making them squirm.
View Quote
There you go again. Slamming me and you don't know me. I was making an inference like you did to him. Politicians are fair game, after all, you called Lott a racist, so what is the difference in him calling both of them morons?
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:53:16 AM EDT
Well, Lott is a racist. That is pretty obvious from his comments over the years. And I have yet to see any evidence that Frist is a moron. If anything he has shown in his dealings with the press and his ability as not only a heart transplant surgeon, but as a politician, he is far from a 'moron'. So you see, the difference between calling Lott a 'racist' and calling them both 'morons' is that one statement is based in truth (for the slow crowd 'Lott is a racist' is the true statement), and the other statement is based in either ignorance or stupidy (I'll let you decide). Either way a sure sign of someone being a moron is to make blanket off the cuff statements like 'both are morons' when you have no evidence to back up said statement. Sure Politicans are 'fair game' but so are people that make idiotic statements over the net.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:01:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Silence: Well, Lott is a racist. That is pretty obvious from his comments over the years. And I have yet to see any evidence that Frist is a moron. If anything he has shown in his dealings with the press and his ability as not only a heart transplant surgeon, but as a politician, he is far from a 'moron'. So you see, the difference between calling Lott a 'racist' and calling them both 'morons' is that one statement is based in truth (for the slow crowd 'Lott is a racist' is the true statement), and the other statement is based in either ignorance or stupidy (I'll let you decide). Either way a sure sign of someone being a moron is to make blanket off the cuff statements like 'both are morons' when you have no evidence to back up said statement. Sure Politicans are 'fair game' but so are people that make idiotic statements over the net.
View Quote
So what about all of the other racist. And how can you be so sure that Frist is not a racist?
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:09:48 AM EDT
I cant be. And I havent claimed that he isnt. He just hasnt made any statements in the press that would give him away if he is one. (BTW, that would be another sign that he is not a moron) As to the rest of the racists out there, well they are entitled to their opinion, but my personal opinion of them is that anyone that judges people based on their race and not on their being is scum.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:16:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2002 1:17:46 AM EDT by ar10er]
Originally Posted By Silence: I cant be. And I havent claimed that he isnt. He just hasnt made any statements in the press that would give him away if he is one. (BTW, that would be another sign that he is not a moron) As to the rest of the racists out there, well they are entitled to their opinion, but my personal opinion of them is that anyone that judges people based on their race and not on their being is scum.
View Quote
I can agree with you there. But I still do not see anything wrong with calling most Politicians morons, after all most do not know the meaning of [b]"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"[/b]. And yes, I do know what the word means, but the media has been screwing up the english language for years. Edited to say, the meaning of moron.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:26:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2002 1:26:48 AM EDT by wetidlerjr]
Originally Posted By Silence: That means alot coming from a moron.
View Quote
And you, on the other hand, are what?
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:39:46 AM EDT
I don't think Lott is a racist. I do think he is a moron though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:56:13 AM EDT
Oh boy, look, it's race wars...This racism crap is getting old. [>Q]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 2:51:11 AM EDT
Lott, Racist? Well if that is true then he can now join the NAACP with the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpeton, the three stooges.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 3:15:56 AM EDT
full-clip said: Lott, Racist? Well if that is true then he can now join the NAACP with the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpeton, the three stooges.
View Quote
I'll go one better, As long as we are all pointing fingers at who is the most racist person or group in the U.S., I would like to nominate the Congressional Black Caucus, as they wield more racist power than any group in the nation.[:(] If we had stopped (OR never started)giving favors and preference based on skin color 40 years ago we wouldn't be in the mess we are in today. (yes, you may quote me on this, but I damn sure won't apologize for it) Rancid Lance
Top Top