Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2002 9:29:28 PM EDT
They told me to advise you all to do this:

1. Create an entry in your address book with a first name like "!000". Just something that will stand out.
2. Set the address as "VIRUSALERT", in other words an invalid address.

What this does is as soon as the virus starts using your address book entries you will get your "!000 VIRUSALERT" email returned to you since it will bounce due to the bad address.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
very cool, you are one savvy dude!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, while that at one time used to work it will no longer hold true. Most viruses are now smart enough to get addresses in other ways. The virus may pick a random address in Outlook instead of the first one. Or the virus will just pick addresses from your Inbox. The tip above works if a virus looks at the first record in Outlook and nowhere else; there aren't many viruses that do that.

It doesn't hurt to create a false record. There is a chance that the virus can choose that record, and since there's no valid email address, you've done exactly what you wanted to do in the first place. The chances of a virus picking the false record all depends on the number of contacts you have in Outlook.

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Well it is interesting to note that I did this a long time ago and my virus detection email has not been returned to me, yet I got 2 emails saying I sent out infected emails. Something it very fishy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Better still, don't use Outlook!

You can still download Eudora for free and it can be configured not to use IE as the page renderer. I think in that mode, scripting is totally ignored and it will not open attachments automatically or anything stupid like that. If this is incorrect, someone please correct me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 4:50:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top