Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2002 5:39:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#2]
So are you saying I need to buy more ammunition?

Damn.  Not much we can do about that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, there is a threat from the giant caldera volcano at Yellowstone, but how close is the volcano to erupting?  Who can say for sure?  Long term indicators are reportedly on the rise, but certain critical indicators of an imminent eruption are not present yet.

FYI, another giant caldera is the Long Valley Caldera in and around Lake Tahoe on the California/Nevada border.  The Lake Tahoe valley is actually the volcano.  If you stand in the middle of the valley (18 miles wide) and look around, you are looking at the broad rim of the ancient volcano.  The mountain ranges are the rim.  This caldera was formed about 760,000 years ago in a violent volcanic eruption that blew out 150 CUBIC MILES of magma (molten rock) from beneath the Earth's surface.  There has been some seismic and geological activity in the last few years, including the venting of CO2 gas and the ever present earthquakes.  Most geologists believe that these volcanoes will blow again...but that it will be "small" eruptions venting pressure and not the cataclysmic blasts like the one that occurred so long ago.

On the other hand...if it did blow...and California disappeared...then maybe that isn't such a bad deal after all?  [;D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#6]
There was quite a bit of discussion of the Yellowstone "greatest nightmare of our time" in this thread:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=114827[/url]

P.S.:  what's a "titlewave"?  And isn't a "sunami" raw tuna on a little roll of rice?? [:p]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#7]
No offense to those of you living in the PRK, but I would like to see it fall off into the ocean. At least LA and SF (and all the 'burbs around them). Next would be New Joisy followed by Madison WI.

If I could control the weather, natural disasters, that's how I would do it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top