Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2002 11:48:07 AM EDT
May 1 —  The United States is moving parts of more than two battalions of the 101st Airborne Division to the Afghanistan-Pakistan border, providing the latest and strongest sign that a major battle is brewing in that region, a senior defense official said yesterday.

THE DEPLOYMENT of what one top officer said ultimately could be more than 1,000 Army soldiers follows the movement into the area of several hundred British Marines who specialize in fighting in cold weather and mountains.
      The United States also has moved Apache helicopters to a U.S. Special Forces base near the city of Khost, 20 miles from the Pakistan border. It is in the heart of the turbulent region where U.S. officials believe hundreds of al Qaeda fighters and their Taliban allies are hiding.

[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/745911.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Good article.

On a goofy note, so whats Geraldo gonna do now, he currently reporting from a different front [:E]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#2]
May God be with our Men.

[Marines]

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#3]
“I think they still do have a command and control structure in place,” Hagenbeck said yesterday. “All the reports that I get from a variety of intelligence sources tells me that they have the ability to conduct low-level terrorist activities.”

It aint over till the fat lady sings.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Lets Roll!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://www.msnbc.com/news/1470144.jpg[/img]

Look at the target indicator...
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good article.

On a goofy note, so whats Geraldo gonna do now, he currently reporting from a different front [:E]
View Quote

Oh don't worry, Geraldo will "be" wherever the action is, dodging bullets! (Even if it's all in his head)
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope this one gets a cool name.

I wonder who gets to name the battles and operations.

I wish they would come up with cool names like they had when I was a kid....names like [b]operation Attleboro, and Junction City....[/b]

These are the days we will remember and our kids will quiz us on in the years to come...
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#9]
No one wants to tell their grandkids "I fought in Operation Surprise Enema during the war."

Scott

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I heard on the radio that they are calling it "Snipe" (british op.)
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I heard on the radio that they are calling it "Snipe" (british op.)
View Quote

Heard that this morning on CNN also.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Snipe is a Royal Marine op, and they are not working near the border with Pakistan. The 101st is going to be working on the border, in fact this time they will be working on both sides of the border. Someone rocketed a Pakistani border village last night, turned out Green Berets were staying there.

How long is Mushariff going to be able to keep this up? He keeps telling his people he isn't gonna let the US do such and such-and then he turns around and lets us do it- and then he denies it occured. We have got plain clothes Green Berets and SAS all over Kashmier now, now we got UNIFORMED US troops crawling all over both sides of the border searching Paki villages now. How long before his bodyguards do a Indira Ghandi number on his ass at breakfast one morning? Its amazing how well he has been able to keep his shit togeather...
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Armd,

Makes sense on Snipe, I heard there were only 100 Americans involved and then remembered that the American op involves lots of our guys.

Mushareff did a coup to get in there didn't he?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#14]
why not call it op."Tallon" like those things on eagles that penetrate and destroy the internal organs of their prey ,just before it eats .
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
why not call it op."Tallon".
View Quote

One good reason: it's spelled "talon."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top