Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2003 6:02:36 PM EDT
LOS ANGELES (AP) - City Council members banned the sale of .50-caliber guns that can pierce concrete from more than 400 yards.

[red]The new measure also was backed by Police Chief William J. Bratton, who has said the production of the high-powered weapons reflects "the total insanity of gun manufacturers in America."[/red]

During Friday's council meeting, teenage brothers Niko and Theo Milonopoulos, who have been lobbying for more gun control for two years, urged the council to pass the measure.

The law, which the mayor promises to sign, adds to an array of city gun control measures, including a ban on the sale of assault weapons and requires that firearms be sold with trigger locks.

The Assembly approved a bill Wednesday that would add the high-powered rifle to the state's list of dangerous weapons. The law will now go to the state Senate.

People who already own the guns would be allowed to keep them, but would have to register with the state Department of Justice

CRC
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
No, civilians should keep their mouths shut.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Except when they are showing their complete and total idiocracies and try to take away my rights!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Cars can pierce concrete, and have done so numerious times, up close and personal, killing and maiming people in the process.  

Ban cars!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome back Imbroglio! [kettlecorn] [beer]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The law, which the mayor promises to sign, adds to an array of city gun control measures, including a ban on the sale of assault weapons and requires that firearms be sold with trigger locks.
View Quote

WTF?!?

You can't buy an "assault weapon" in this state anyway and you have to have an approved safe or lock too.

What the hell are they doing?  Is this like "double secret probation"?  Make a local law that duplicates state law and somehow it will work?

Please, someone nuke LA and SFO and this state would be a pretty damned nice place to live.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#6]
California should just fall off the face of the earth.  Would make the US a MUCH better place!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#7]
If I owned a firearms company I'd check the specifics of this law.  If they specifically banned .50 Cal weapons, then I'd make a .60 cal weapon, even if it cost a fortune to develop.

Maybe better yet- make a .49 Cal rifle!

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone should point out to the city council that any former mortarman can duplicate a 2000 yard shot with a .45-70 lever gun.  We don't need no steenking .50 BMGs. [;D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No, civilians should keep their mouths shut.
View Quote

Ok, you start that trend!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Someone should point out to the city council that any former mortarman can duplicate a 2000 yard shot with a .45-70 lever gun.  We don't need no steenking .50 BMGs. [;D]
View Quote

Great way to get that gun banned too!!!  Not hard to do here in the PRK!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#12]
If I understand correctly, in reality, a .38 and a .357 are the same size, just measured differently. Why couldn't they just start measuring the .50 a little differently?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LOS ANGELES (AP) - City Council members banned the sale of .50-caliber guns that can pierce concrete from more than 400 yards.

[red]The new measure also was backed by Police Chief William J. Bratton, who has said the production of the high-powered weapons reflects "the total insanity of gun manufacturers in America."[/red]

During Friday's council meeting, teenage brothers Niko and Theo Milonopoulos, who have been lobbying for more gun control for two years, urged the council to pass the measure.

The Assembly approved a bill Wednesday that would add the high-powered rifle to the state's list of dangerous weapons. The law will now go to the state Senate.

People who already own the guns would be allowed to keep them, but would have to register with the state Department of Justice

CRC
View Quote

How is a city ban able to require registration with a State bureau, the DOJ?  This is collusion.  The courts will bounce this and the politicians will get the political mileage they desired that shows them to be tough on "licensed" law-abiding citizens.  What a f**king joke.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#14]
So who is the dumbass that fired a .50 in the city limits of L.A.
I'm betting it's never happened.
Anybody owning one in L.A. is putting in some drive time to play with it.

Well it's good that they decided to add "the high powered rifle" to the list of dangerous weapons.[:\]

now I have quote Jack Nicholson.
" Is there any other kind?"
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#15]
(see sig line below)
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Bratton is a jerky bastard, his statement just shows his ignorance of both firearms and law. And to think, we trust this dumb man to not only carry a weapon, but to be the CLEO. I guess LA is going to get what they asked for.
teenage brothers Niko and Theo Milonopoulos, who have been lobbying for more gun control for two years, urged the council to pass the measure.
View Quote
WTF? Talk about a lost generation...This is why I am beyond happy when I see all the young members on our website. They are the future and a ray of hope. All is not lost...Yet.

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#17]
teenage brothers Niko and Theo Milonopoulos, who have been lobbying for more gun control for two years, urged the council to pass the measure.

OK, who died and left these two in charge.  Are we going to let adolescents make policie now?  I know an 18/19 yo can vote and they are teenagers, but it says they have doing this for 2 years.  So, they started this before they could vote by my math.

Bilster
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#18]
What worries me is the threat of biplane pilots taking out helpless pedestrians with scoped 10/22s from the air.  They should ban all Ruger firearms.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What worries me is the threat of biplane pilots taking out helpless pedestrians with scoped 10/22s from the air.  They should ban all Ruger firearms.
View Quote

Sounds like they need to just ban airplanes period in LA! crashing into apartment complexes and what not..... a shame![rolleyes]

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#21]
how thick of concrete? 1/8"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top