Posted: 8/7/2002 4:35:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Legs..."Operation Desert Glass"...thats pretty good [smoke]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Hussein launched scuds at Israel last time in an attempt to gain support from Arab nations... It didn't work.

I doubt he would try it again when he knows that it didn't work last time and Israel itself could kick his ass.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Hussein launched scuds at Israel last time in an attempt to gain support from Arab nations... It didn't work.

I doubt he would try it again when he knows that it didn't work last time and Israel itself could kick his ass.
View Quote

No-way..IMHO, Saddam is a dead man and he knows it. Saddam has nothing to loose.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#7]
"Operation Desert Glass"  THAT's FUNNY AS HELL!!!!!!!!!   How about "Operation Solar Surface?"  or "Operation Parking Lot!!!" or "Operation Stone Age??"  Oh, I forgot-most of the "subjects" living in these third-world chicken-head eating countries are ALREADY living in the stone age!!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"Operation Desert Glass"  THAT's FUNNY AS HELL!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

That IS funny!

Of course, we may be less than amused at radiation and fallout drift patterns. NBC war would not be fun. Just because it is on the other side of the world, doesn't mean we'd be in the clear. I wish I could find that website that purported to plot radiation drift...
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Neutron Bombs! - Israel has some too and fallout is not really an issue.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I think if Sadam hit the Israli's with NBCs then that would be the end of Iraq. Period. Let's not forget that one of the only reasons that our forces didn't get hit by NBC's in the gulf war was the fact that we made it clear that if that were to happen, we would use our 'special' weapons against him.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#12]
We hit Iraq, Iraq hits Israel, Israel nukes Iraq.  Does it stop there?  If not, what is the next step in the chain, and where does it ultimately lead?  Things to ponder.  Anybody know who sells gourmet MREs? [;)]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I propose we begin the invasion on 9/11/2002.

Just seems like a goood time for bombing that shit hole.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We hit Iraq, Iraq hits Israel, Israel nukes Iraq.  Does it stop there?
View Quote

Not if I were in charge! Next it would be something like US hits Sudan. US hits Syria. US hits Iran. US hits Lybia. And if necessary, US hits Saudi Arabia.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does anyone have that website that tracked the fallout
from any city that got nuked ?
View Quote

[url]http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/bomb/sfeature/mapablast.html[/url]

pretty cool for pbs
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unfortunately, I not only can't agree, but I believe that's exactly what he's going to do. Unlike Desert Storm, where the UN mandate was to remove him from Kuawit, this time we're going after him directly. He's a dead man and he knows it. His only hope of survival is to unite the Arab nations against us. That's not as easily done as said. Historically, the Arab nations have been divided even amongst themselves, as evidenced by the Iran Iraq war, the invasion of Kuwait, etc. There is only one thing that all Arab nations can agree upon: their hatred of the State of Israel. Saddam will try to use thier collective hatred of Israel to unite the Arabs. He'll do it by dropping a chemical, biological or, quite possibly, a nuclear weapon on Isreal. Isreal will most definitely retaliate if faced with NBC weapons. Whether or not Isreal does so with NBC or convential weapons is a tossup but they will retaliate. Once Isreal enters the war, the remaining Arab nations will, in turn, also enter the fight as they will now see it as a Western and Zionist vs. Arab war.

I truly hope I'm wrong but, the way I see it, this will ultimately turn into a war against all of Islam and the Arab nations...Just my .02 cents..
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:23:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't mean to sound like a spoil sport, but why are we (potentially) attacking Iraq?

I'm being serious here, I have not been following the news. I really see no great reason except; it's rumored he has weapons that make a big boom (can't reach us + his right as a leader for defense). Whoop-de-doo there, so does Chechnya. Helping terrorists - How about Syria? Drug trade - non-issue. UN weapons inspectors - it's been 10 years now. They don't seem to be occupying or attacking any of our intrests...And it's a sovereign country; So what's the deal?

[b]All I see is a shit load of dis-information/distraction to get people scared and riled up, so the attack will be met with huge public approval ratings. Perhaps,on CNN, we can see "US -v- Iraq Smackdown - Brought to you by Geico".[/b]

[red]"Start up the war machine and help the economy"[/red] sounds like the best cantidate to me. They ran out of caves in Afgan.

BTW, I'm all for the stock market-upturn that will happen.

Edit: After thinking some more, the afghan thing make sense. We don't have any real skins to show for it... so it's time to go after the old forgotten evil one (that didn't try to affect your way of life one iota) that we have not heard from in 5 years (but it will look good and make everyone happy & fuzzy)to prove  that we can find the enemy somewhere.[sleep]

The question you should ask yourself is:
[size=3]How does Iraq hurt you and your way of life?[/size=3]

I would say, about the same as Bosnia/Mogadishu/Panama/Vietnam/Korea,wherever else we have sent our people to die for things that don't affect you or I! If I join the armed services, I join to defend the USA - And That's All.

Leave it to the UN. Oh, wait.. We are the UN.[puke]

p.s. sorry legs.. Kinda got on a venting spree.. and my sentence structure sucks when I'm pissed [:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:32:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, right.

"[i]The sky is falling, the sky is falling"[/i]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:57:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Operation Desert Glass certainly has a good ring to it.  I suspect if Iraq wishes to cease to exist they will do the NBC thing on Israel.

ChrisLe, I hope you are right.  Not until we confront all the terrorist nations of the Mid East (most of them) will we finally crush them and have a measure of peace.  SA refuses to be WITH US therefore they are against US.  I sincerely hope we destroy them along with Iraq.

While I regret we must go to war and am saddened by the number of people who will die, there is no other choice.  War has been declared on US and the only possible response is ALL OUT WAR on them.  If any idiot uses NBC against US , Israel or any of our interests then a nuclear response is justified.  If we don't have the balls to use them in that situation then we might just as well junk them as they will NEVER be used.

To leave Iraq as it is can only lead to more death.  Soddom will continue his build-up and his export of terrorism.  He can only get stronger and more dangerous.  Fight him now or fight him later when he has the certain ability to strike CONUS with NBC weapons.

In the end, do you want the next war in CONUS or the Middle East?
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:04:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Undeterred by memories of war, military training camps are filling up, with teenagers, women and elderly men volunteering for instruction. The authorities say around seven million Iraqis -- out of a population of around 22 million -- have already attended these camps.

"We have to defend our country and our beloved leader. Bush will regret any attack on great Iraq," a volunteer said.
View Quote
View Quote

Gee, the same people who tell us we have to attack because he's a "terrorist" sponsor, and has "weapons of mass destruction", also tell us his people hate and fear him. 7 million volunteers out of a population of 22 million? That's almost 1/3 of the population. I wonder how many would volunteer if they loved him. Lets see, the US had how many volunteers join the military after 9/11??........ 1/3?? 1/4?? 1/10?? NOT!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Look at these Iraqi POSs:

[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20020808/i/1028808538.3623878747.jpg[/img]

Caption: A group of Ba'th party soldiers, who appear to have explosives tied to their waists, gather for a military parade in Baghdad in support of President Saddam Hussein August 8, 2002. The Iraqi President said on Thursday that he was not frightened by threats from the United States and his country was ready to repel any attack. REUTERS/Faleh Kheiber

Hmmm, wonder where they got THAT idea from?

Eric The(OhYeah,Those[u]Other[/u]POSs)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I am thinking about starting a glass factory in the middle east.

Anyone interested in helping? I bet our government will lend us a hand...
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Unfortunately, I not only can't agree, but I believe that's exactly what he's going to do. Unlike Desert Storm, where the UN mandate was to remove him from Kuawit, this time we're going after him directly. He's a dead man and he knows it. His only hope of survival is to unite the Arab nations against us. That's not as easily done as said. Historically, the Arab nations have been divided even amongst themselves, as evidenced by the Iran Iraq war, the invasion of Kuwait, etc. There is only one thing that all Arab nations can agree upon: their hatred of the State of Israel. Saddam will try to use thier collective hatred of Israel to unite the Arabs. He'll do it by dropping a chemical, biological or, quite possibly, a nuclear weapon on Isreal. Isreal will most definitely retaliate if faced with NBC weapons. Whether or not Isreal does so with NBC or convential weapons is a tossup but they will retaliate. Once Isreal enters the war, the remaining Arab nations will, in turn, also enter the fight as they will now see it as a Western and Zionist vs. Arab war.

I truly hope I'm wrong but, the way I see it, this will ultimately turn into a war against all of Islam and the Arab nations...Just my .02 cents..
View Quote

Technically Iranians are not Arabs
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Post from Atencio -
View Quote

No. They are not Arabs. The Iranians consider themselves to be 'Persians.'

But what does [u]that[/u] have to do with this story on Iraq?

I'm just wondering.

Eric The(OutLoud)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#27]
A few things....

First, I would wonder what calibre of 'volunteers' the Iraqis have picked up. I would suspect it's '9mm' (as in 'I'm gonna shoot you and your whole family with a 9mm sub gun - unless, of course, you 'volunteer' for the army'. Seriously, dictatorships have a historically loose record of what constitutes 'volunteering'. These 7million are most likely conscripts (draftees), NOT volunteers. The 'beloved leader' line is especially scripted.

Second, US anti-missile technology has been under constant development since PGW I. Iraq has had little oppertunity to make 'better' TBMs than it's existing bastardized scuds.

Third, there is no Arab coalition this time, so we don't have to pussyfoot around our alliance with Israel. Whereas Saddam might have been able to get the Arabs to leave their countries and deny us basing before, he won't get them to join a war they KNOW that they will loose. After all, war with Israel has been a loosing proposition ever since the modern state has formed. They've all tried (including once where Iraq, Syria, Saudi, Egypt, Jordan, and every other major Arab country went in), and they've all lost every time.

Fourth, isolationists aside, there is very compelling reasoning for a strike on Iraq. It's real simple too: We fought with them before, they lost and agreed to a *ceasefire*. The key point to a ceasefire is that if it's broken, the war's back on. Iraq broke the ceasefire (WMD restrictions/inspections), so they get to get their a$$ kicked again. The only way to reliably enforce such agreements (regardless of what the Europeans say) is with military force. We have to mean business every time, anything else gives the other guys wiggle room (Think 'boy who cried wolf'). History (Japan, Germany, etc..) backs this up quite well.

Fifth, this attack could be very good for our long term economy *and* Iraqs. Since any proper regime change happens under the supervision of an occupying army, we would probably be there for 5-10yrs helping the Iraqis move from rule-of-graft to rule-of-law (Look at post-WWII Japan). Under this condition, Iraq would be free of sanctions and free to sell oil, and their economy would be able to recover from the damage that the ineffective sanctions have done (we should never have used 'economic sanctions' in place of military ones in the first place). They would also end up with (if we did it like we did Japan) a US-style constitution, and a government less prone to corruption than Hussein's regime. And for us, in addition to war-related production, we would be in a position to screw OPEC once and for all (by controling Iraq's oil production for 5-10yrs, and maintaining a needed level to counter any OPEC price-fixing moves). As for resistance, the key is to make US occupation more pleasant than Saddam's rule... Show them that the US is on their side (and we were only after Saddam), and all will be well...

Finally, I am willing to bet that when their 'Beloved Leader' is gone from power, the only people who will miss him are those who lived off his regime.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Oh, and as for the 'abilities' of the Iraqi army, these are guys who JUMPED OUT OF THEIR TANKS when they heard our M-1's approaching in Desert Storm!

Why?

Because they thought it was another AIR RAID, and wanted to get in their bomb-shelters before the planes came!

It's true, or at least it's what Iraqi POWs said when they were asked why they jumped out of their tanks...

(Source: Gen. Horner, 'Every Man a Tiger')
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Post from Atencio -
View Quote

No. They are not Arabs. The Iranians consider themselves to be 'Persians.'

But what does [u]that[/u] have to do with this story on Iraq?

I'm just wondering.

Eric The(OutLoud)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

"the Arab nations have been divided even amongst themselves, as evidenced by the Iran Iraq war"

just repsonding to the quote and the way the term Arab is generally used here, so wonder no more.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

"the Arab nations have been divided even amongst themselves, as evidenced by the Iran Iraq war"

just repsonding to the quote and the way the term Arab is generally used here, so wonder no more.
View Quote

Atencio, I stand corrected. Thanks. Next time I'll wait for my brain to engage prior to fingers typing...
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Anybody know who sells gourmet MREs? [;)]
View Quote

Ya know, the instant meals you get at Academy Sports
for camping are damn good. I've had them many a time
while out in the middle of nowhere. Give them a try.
View Quote

And living underground for the rest of your life can really be fun too!  For a look at what could be, please see the movie "A Boy And His Dog".  

Let's try to postpone WW3 for just a while longer, can we?

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sadness.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't mean to sound like a spoil sport, but why are we (potentially) attacking Iraq?

I'm being serious here, I have not been following the news. I really see no great reason except; it's rumored he has weapons that make a big boom (can't reach us + his right as a leader for defense). Whoop-de-doo there, so does Chechnya. Helping terrorists - How about Syria? Drug trade - non-issue. UN weapons inspectors - it's been 10 years now. They don't seem to be occupying or attacking any of our intrests...And it's a sovereign country; So what's the deal?

[b]All I see is a shit load of dis-information/distraction to get people scared and riled up, so the attack will be met with huge public approval ratings. Perhaps,on CNN, we can see "US -v- Iraq Smackdown - Brought to you by Geico".[/b]

[red]"Start up the war machine and help the economy"[/red] sounds like the best cantidate to me. They ran out of caves in Afgan.

BTW, I'm all for the stock market-upturn that will happen.

Edit: After thinking some more, the afghan thing make sense. We don't have any real skins to show for it... so it's time to go after the old forgotten evil one (that didn't try to affect your way of life one iota) that we have not heard from in 5 years (but it will look good and make everyone happy & fuzzy)to prove  that we can find the enemy somewhere.[sleep]

The question you should ask yourself is:
[size=3]How does Iraq hurt you and your way of life?[/size=3]

I would say, about the same as Bosnia/Mogadishu/Panama/Vietnam/Korea,wherever else we have sent our people to die for things that don't affect you or I! If I join the armed services, I join to defend the USA - And That's All.

Leave it to the UN. Oh, wait.. We are the UN.[puke]

p.s. sorry legs.. Kinda got on a venting spree.. and my sentence structure sucks when I'm pissed [:D]
View Quote

My GUESS is that the CIA or other agencies have evidence that Iraq is working to manufacture NBC weapons and that there is evidence that they have worked with Al-Queeda and Bin-a-Dead-Man.  

Given what happened on September 11th with little more than a handfull of men and crude weapons this country got work up to just how vulnerable we are.  I trust that the government had looked at what the efects of a real MASS DESTRUCTION weapon would be like and they have determined that it is best to bring the war to Iraq before Sadam brings it to us (directly or through some Terrorist thug).

As far as I am concerned, give me an M-16 and send me in!  Iraq lost the war last time and asked us to stop by surendering.  They didn't live up to what they said they would do so as far as I am concerened their surender just doesn't matter!

Peace before war BUT WAR if it is the only way to have lasting PEACE!

Operation Desert Glass if fine by me!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top