Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2001 3:30:20 PM EDT
Since I work for a company that actually makes magazines I see a lot of stuff long before the general public eyeballs it.

Generally, our magazines run about 3 months ahead.  This is real cool for the gun mags and such but today I saw an add that really ticked me off.

I will leave the name of the mag out of this story but will go so far as to say that the company doing the advertising is Shimano and that the product is bicycle related.

The add reads:

[b]"We tease our government mole and call him Benedict Arnold.  He hates it but he gives us classified technology anyway.[/b] [i]Akio Izuno-Employee #9098[/i]
[b]
Most people think the the United States government is covering up tons of top secret projects.  And man, are they right.  Fortunately, Shimano's got an informant on the inside.  We hoped that by applying the Pentagon's theories to our quad piston design, the benefits would be limitless.  Working with some of the less secure areas of the government, Shimano discovered that by using two pairs of asymmetrical pistons we could counter torque effect of the rotor and offer a better balance of stopping power.  As successful as our "partnership" with the government is, it's not enough.  We will stop at nothing to develop advanced componentry.  To be honest, some of our other practices are a little too sensitive to mention here.  But rest assured, we have men and women in the field 24 hours a day providing you with the most effecient technology in existence.  So, when you go to bed at night, you can sleep well knowing that Shimano is doing whatever it takes to protect your ride."[/b]

Looks like to me that the owners of Shimano are wading into some really sensitive waters with this crud.  I mean seriously, taking stabs at the US government, the Pentagon and playing the 11 SEP 01 attacks for all they are worth stinks to high heaven.

I find it to be insensitive, anti-American and downright shitty.

What do you guys think?

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I find it refreshing, personally.

Saves on R&D costs which translates into a cheaper product AND makes your ride safer.  What's wrong with that?

Where do they poke fun at 9/11?  I don't see it.

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I just think that the entire "attitude" of the add pulls from the events surrounding what happened on 11 SEP.  No other way such things as this would have ever been mentioned:

Classifed Technology
Government Mole
Pentagon
Top Secret
Informant
Less Secure Areas
Partnership
Will stop at nothing
Practices too sensitive to mention
Men and women in the field 24 hrs a day

Perhaps I am paranoid.......actually I am quite paranoid.......but it just came across to me as a poke at our security and as a way at an attempt to de-sensitize the populace into thinking that such "things" like this are normal day to day events that are no more important than some new hydraulic caliper being sold by a bike maker.

Nothing to fear........you're all okay......don't worry...........this is a perfectly normal behavior and a perfectly acceptable type of rationale.

Like I said..........I think I am right.

And, I think there are groups of people who want the sheeple in this country to continue grazing without looking up.

IMNSHO, we outta stay on full alert from here on out.

Few enemies succeed against a perceptive and alert opponent.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry man but get a grip... Nuf said
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The correct spelling is "REEKS", you know, like stinky.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Over-reacting a bit, doncha think?  I'd suggest a nice vacation somewhere quiet.  Rest and relaxation, lotsa chicks in bikinis and rum drinks ought to do it...  puts it all in perspective.  Really, it does!

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude, calm down!! OMG, I though I was bad spending about 4 hours yesterday assembling a BOB, the LBV, putting all rounds on stripper clips, checking batteries in flashlights and sewing some patches on the BDUs (nothing claiming something I'm not).

Maybe I just need to relax, but not until after new years.  Wish I had a camera, I look GOOD all dressed up in the gear.

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#7]
no no no no no no no no no no no no no I tell ya.....it's real....real........they are coming for you all.

Oh crap..................maybe....perhaps I do need some chicks in bikinis and a few stiff ones.

Oh Hell.....Happy New Years Guys.

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#8]
only a dweeb would use shitmano components!

campagnolo...or walk!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Could be something to do with those 72 hour weeks I been pulling, the fact that I'm spending New Years Eve with my parents (who are cool BTW) a Pit Bull named Lucy, a Mastif named Butch and my psycho-spazz Jack Russell Terrier Maggie............and that I would like to recall a lot of that EOD course I took and give my ex-wife a 2002 present.

Sorry guys...............think I'll go and strip my AR or something.

Later.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

campagnolo...or walk!
View Quote

Thanks for sharing with us, but I'll stick with what works:
Shimano.

And, I live in a state where I can use it in the winter. [:)]

Jay
Arizona

P.S.
Dweeb This !!!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I can care less about there ads.(dont need them)AS for there products and service they are excellent i own their fishing reels for deep sea and they  stand behind their products no questions asked.I had a corsair reel of theirs and used it for 15-20#yellowtail smoked the drags took it to the tackle show and just asked about replacement drag washers the guy took my reel and gave me a brand new one said that he didnt care about me smoking drags on it the new one was an upgraded model.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

campagnolo...or walk!
View Quote

Ah, Campagnolo- the pinnacle of (1970's) technology!

[:P]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Xkill,

Yup, the guys are on track.  You need a vacation.  Well, ifn your single, might I suggest a quiet trip to golf, beachs, and bikinis in - Thailand.  You won't ever be the same.

[url]http://www.classroom1.com/presentpupils.htm[/url]

Oh, I don't think there is nudity following this link, but it certainly ain't for choirboys.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top