Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/25/2003 9:09:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 9:11:12 PM EDT by The_Macallan]
[url=http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1052251603421&call_pageid=968867495754&col=969483191630]Van Sant hits bullseye with teen gun film[/url] Two American high school teens, Alex and Eric, discuss their plan to brighten up a dull day. It involves [red]the assault rifle they've just received from a friendly courier[/red]. They have a small arsenal of other guns and ammo to go with it. Alex and Eric are going to their school to hunt students. "We'll just be able to pick them off one by one," says Alex, the mastermind. "Most importantly, have fun." The scene is from the chilling final reel of Elephant , the new film by U.S. indie veteran Gus Van Sant that premiered to acclaim here yesterday at the 56th annual Cannes Film Festival. . . . Unlike Michael Moore's Bowling For Columbine, which premiered at Cannes last year and later went on to win the Academy Award for best documentary, Elephant doesn't scold, preach or point fingers, despite having a similar focus on the Columbine High shootings. [red]It simply observes,[/red] with the detachment of a curious child, as a regular day in an ordinary high school suddenly runs red with blood. It is understatement at its most powerful. . . . It's also a metaphorical reference to "the elephant in the living room that nobody talks about," which to the flannel-shirted Van Sant, as to Moore before him, is [red]the alarming rise in gun violence[/red]. . . . "I do have my own ideas about why something like Columbine happened, but some of those things aren't really in the film," said Van Sant, measuring his words. "I was really trying to get at more of a poetic impression, and to sort of [red]allow the audience's thoughts into that impression, rather than to dictate an answer or a reason.[/red]" . . . The movie's arms-length approach to such an emotional topic leaves Van Sant open to the charge of failing to have a point of view. But such a claim misses his point that evil acts are often committed for the most banal reasons. His camera watches as the teen killers play violent video games (always shooting people in the back) and [red]surf the Internet for online gun shops.[/red] . . . [red]There's also a scene in Elephant where Alex and Eric climb into a shower together and share a passionate kiss.[/red] The real Columbine killers were rumored to be homosexual lovers. Van Sant, who is openly gay and often addresses tough homosexual themes in his films, said [red]the scene is one of innocence[/red], not sexual politics.
View Quote
[b][size=4]Get Used To This Kind Of Shit[/size=4][/b]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:31:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 9:33:41 PM EDT by raven]
An important work of art. And dig the title, "Elephant". As in, the elephant in the living room no one mentions. Oh yes. America has swept the epidemic of school shootings under the rug. We pretend they dont happen. We say they're not a problem. Psssssht. Such BS. Pandering to Europeans contempt for US guns laws to win kudos.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:31:56 PM EDT
[puke]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:34:21 PM EDT
Thats gay.. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:35:54 PM EDT
I think that's the gay rumors about the killers are hilarious! How embarassing that would be to have that speculation about you and not be around to refute it. But that's their fault! This Van Sant guy and Moore played right into the killers' predictions that there would be movies made about them and everybody would talk about what they did forever.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:36:27 PM EDT
No, I wont get used to this shit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:39:26 PM EDT
What a gyp - "Dogville" by Trier was totally robbed at Cannes. It was the favorite to win the golden palms, and it didn't get any prize at all!! WTF! Van Sant's film is sensationalist bullshit that robbed a good film of its deserved prize. Bastards.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:50:53 PM EDT
DK_Prof, face it. With maybe the exception of Celebration, Von Trier's dogma movies are steaming piles. Breaking the Waves? Dancer in the Dark? The Idiots? Oh my god, breathtakingly bad movies. Gimme Smila's Sense of Snow any day. Production values, and a decent narrative plot.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:00:43 PM EDT
To be honest, I haven't even seen Dogville, and I'm not the world's biggest fan of the dogma movement. My support for Dogville is nothing but passionate jingoism, and the fact that Nicole Kidman is hot. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:01:52 PM EDT
Have you seen The Celebration? That was honestly a very engaging movie.
Top Top