Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2003 9:11:59 PM EDT
from [url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=536&ncid=536&e=3&u=/ap/20030625/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/see_through_security_2[/url]

[b]Airport Screeners May Get X-Ray Vision[/b]
Wed Jun 25, 6:39 PM ET  Add Politics - AP to My Yahoo!

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030625/capt.1056584283.see_through_security_bbp108.jpg[/img]
By LESLIE MILLER, Associated Press Writer

EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. - Susan Hallowell steps into a metal booth that bounces X-rays off her skin, producing a black-and-white image that reveals enough to produce a world-class blush.

To the eye, she is dressed in a skirt and blazer in dark, business-like colors.

On the monitor, the director of the Transportation Security Administration's security laboratory is [b]naked[/b], except for a gun and a bomb that she hid under her outfit.

[b]The government is considering using the technology at airport security checkpoints [/b]because the magnetometers now in use cannot detect plastic weapons or substances used in explosives.

Hallowell is sacrificing her modesty to make a point: Air travelers are not going to like being technologically undressed by security screeners.

[b]"It does basically make you look fat and naked — [red]but you see all this stuff," [/red][/b]Hallowell said Wednesday during a demonstration of the technology.

The technology is called "backscatter" because it scatters X-rays. Doses of rays deflected off dense materials such as metal or plastic produce a darker image than those deflected off skin. The radiation dosage is about the same as sunshine, Hallowell said.

Backscatter machines have been available on the market for years. They are priced at between $100,000 and $200,000 and used in all sorts of security situations, from screening families of convicts visiting prisons to South African diamond miners going home for the day.

The agency is trying to find a way to modify the machines with an electronic fig leaf — programming that fuzzes out sensitive body parts or distorts the body so it is unrecognizable.

Another option might mean stationing the screener in a booth so only he sees the image, said Randal Null, the agency's chief technology officer.

Null hopes to conduct pilot programs with backscatter machines at several airports this year. A pilot project at Orlando International Airport in Florida using volunteers met with mixed results, he said.

Some volunteers were uncomfortable with it. For others, "It was a whole lot nicer than having someone pat me down," he said.

David Sobel, general counsel for the Electronic Privacy Information Center in Washington, thinks most people will object to the backscatter technology.

"The public is willing to accept a certain amount of scrutiny at the airport, but there are clearly limits to the degree of invasion that is acceptable," Sobel said. "It's hard to understand why something this invasive is necessary."

[b]But Rep. John Mica, chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure subcommittee on aviation, thinks it is [red]essential[/red] because of the strong likelihood that a terrorist will try to bomb a plane. [/b]

[b]"I predict it will happen," said Mica, R-Fla.[/b] "The chances of someone bringing an explosive on an aircraft by walking through a metal detector or in hand-carried luggage are very real."

Mica pointed out that Richard Reid, convicted of trying to blow up a trans-Atlantic jetliner with explosives in his shoes, walked through metal detectors at Orly Airport in Paris several times before boarding the plane. attention, research and development and deployment of these systems," Mica said.

For now, Mica is trying to persuade colleagues to require that the transportation agency focus its research on technology that identifies items on people's bodies.

Null said the agency's major focus is already on detecting explosives and weapons at airport checkpoints.

In the end, the biggest problem with the backscatter machines may be their size, he said. One version, the BodySearch system made by Billerica, Mass.-based American Science & Engineering is about 4-feet by 7-feet by 10-feet — awfully big for an airport lobby, Null said.

Another system made by Hawthorne, Calif.-based OSI Systems is more compact.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Like in that movie Total Recall!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
1st of all: IBTL

2nd of all: If they put this in, I'll STOP flying.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Eeeew! Skidmarks!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Who wants to invest in my invention?

Clothing with aluminum threads weaved in just enough amounts to defeat this xray. I would also have the threads spell out nice messages like SCREW YOU when viewed with the xray.

Please help make my dreams of money and womenz become true.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
[b]I'd hit it![/b]

...oh, and ditto to what Citabria7GCBC said!

I'll take a horse & buggy on long trips before I submit to this.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Snail Trail!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Hmm..  Them nipples are really pointin' south.

[Beavis] 'I See Bush! Huh huh'  [ButtHead]

Where's the gun?

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Aluminum foil underware anyone?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Taking a train or renting a car is getting more attractive...

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]
What happened to all those Streakers of the Early 70's?  They might have some fun with these Losers.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#12]

"as long as it will make me feel safe, I don't mind!"

[rolleyes]

I'm already not flying, but I REALLY won't fly with that in place.

The sheep wanted the govn' in charge, well, they're getting it!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Imagine this if you dare....

security person -   "OK Mr The_Beer_Slayer, just step into this scanner please."

The_Beer_Slayer -   "OK"

[shock][shock]
[shock][shock]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Who wants to invest in my invention?

Clothing with aluminum threads weaved in just enough amounts to defeat this xray. I would also have the threads spell out nice messages like SCREW YOU when viewed with the xray.

Please help make my dreams of money and womenz become true.
View Quote

Imbroglio, you are truly a genius.  You better patent that idea quick.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
eh, I'll just shove a big rubber dick down the front of my pants, and let them look all they want [:D]
View Quote

That might get you into more trouble than you'd expect, considering items like you describe are illegal by state law, and they can supposdly tell the difference between skin and plastics.  It would be funny, but you might get a cavity search from Bubba for your trouble.

I haven't flown since summer of 2001, and I doubt I'll be flying any time soon.  If I can't drive where I want to go, I'm not going.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:53:23 AM EDT
[#18]
W ... T ... F ... [>:/]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:01:33 AM EDT
[#19]
This technology has been around for a few years. It was in "True Lies." [:)]

BTW, do I see what I think I see...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:35:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Like in that movie Total Recall!
View Quote

Even the German Shepherd had to walk thru the device.  As portrayed, it's skeletal structure was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:36:19 AM EDT
[#21]
FCK that SHT.

This will spell doom for the airline industry IMO.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:03:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, if this is the future, all I can do is remember to "chub up" right before going through the scanners.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:21:04 AM EDT
[#23]
The terrorist who is determined to kill himself in a suicide bombing will just resort to implanting the explosive internally in his body.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:23:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I've hated the whole airport thing forever, but as long as I don't have to see THEM naked, this will hardly make it worse.

What's gonna really suck is when they start using this at theatres to make sure you don't bring in outside food and drink.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:25:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Is that a picture of "Pat"?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:28:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Camel Toe~!

Regarding Richard Reid....I don't see the chick's shoes in the photo.....
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Let me guess---the ONLY thing they're looking for is weapons/explosives, right? Anything else they may see is off limits, correct? Rriiiiggghhhttt! Who needs a dope dog when you have this super snooper? Yeah, we can prevent terrorist attacks AND bust people for petty shit. Smacks of Big Brother to me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Also...what is on her left armpit?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Great when the TSA womenz see my "package" they won't be able to leave me alone.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Finally....Revenge against those bastards!!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#31]
COOL! This even better than those up-skirt vids. Where do I apply for a position at the TSA running one of those silly machines?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#32]
What if I already go to the airport naked?

What are they gonna do then, [b]HUH??[/b]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#33]
i can see it now... "uhhh... mr. holmes, john holmes, could you please step to the side so our airport screener can get your number?"
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Don't even need sophisticated weaving techniques.  Just use a metallic or lead based paint on the inside of the garment.

Spell out things like "I'm with stupid" with an arrow pointing to your crotch, or something equally witty.  Nice thing is that it doesn;t show up unless you are x-rayed.

I see the opportunity for a "dry cleaner rebellion". [:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, so where's a standard pic of this broad so we can compare. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#36]
hmmm...video opportunity? AIRPORT TRAVELERS GONE WILD!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#37]
i will drive,,,this is chaos
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I have flown for the last time, this is BS.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#39]
This will never fly (no pun intended) It's common knowledge prison inmates have found many clever ways to get contraband past "real strip searches".....
--RR
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#40]
[img]http://www.asmenews.org/archives/backissues/dec01/features/hallowell.gif[/img]

Why couldn't they stick a HOT CHICK in there??

[shock]

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#41]
It's about dadgum time! Now, for a career change. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
FCK that SHT.

This will spell doom for the airline industry IMO.
View Quote

They are coming soon, to a Mall near YOU!![:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top