Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/17/2002 4:43:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2002 5:08:14 PM EDT by Venerated]
Obviously members of both groups must be trained in similar areas. In this example, assume that two individuals, one a CIA operative, the other a SF operative from any of the teams, have spent their careers within their groups and have not been crosstrained (i.e., CIA operative Joe did not come over from the SF.). How similar is the career training? [b]In what areas of training may they be considered equal?[/b] Is there a point (say after 10 years experience on the job) that both may be considered able to fulfill the other's capabilities on an assignment? Basic: 1) Small/medium/heavy weapons handling? 2) Explosives? 3) Self defense? 4) Jump school: HALO/HAHO? 5) Dive school? 6) Intelligence gathering & dissemination? 7) Linguistics? 8) Psychological warfare? 9) Interrogation? 10) Electronics? 11) Other Advanced: 1) Flight school? 2) Heavy equipment operator? 3) Other Edited: Maybe an easier way to provide an answer would be to state what the differences in training are, and the levels to which they are trained. I'm expecting a detailed explanation from you NSFJoJo.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 5:10:01 PM EDT
The only advice I can give is a book. Called FRAM 16, I don't remember the author. It was about a CIA ops group during Vietnam, of course that is going to be much different than it is now, but was still one hell of a story. One thing I do know is that a few of the things they did my dad did in Navy Beach Jumpers. Hope it helps some, Adios
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:14:46 PM EDT
They are very much the same. The reason being- most CIA SAD people ARE former Green Berets/Delta/SEAL/DEVGRU/AFSPECOPS/Marines who either retired or were headhunted and left for the somewhat higher salary and more conginial working conditions the CIA offers. We may have a few foreigners working for us but they are probably from friendly militaries (probably a perk for spying for us when they were still in their home military) Very few are brought up straight from the civilian world. Just too expensive to train someone from scratch except in very special cases. Even the women are mostly ex military.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:31:19 PM EDT
[url]http://www.specialoperations.com/Domestic/CIA/SAS/Default.html[/url] The Special Activities Staff (SAS) is one of the least known covert units operating on behalf of the US Government. Operating in teams as large as 12, or as small as one, the SAS is considered to be among the world's top special operations units. SAS personnel have been described as being particularly skilled in counterterrorist/hostage rescue operations, and are said to capable of "taking down" any type of vehicle, aircraft, ship, building, or facility. The SAS provides a pool from which the various divisions within the Agency may draw trained personnel to form a Special Operations Group, or SOG. SOG's are short-term teams that carry out paramilitary operations such as sabotage; friendly personnel/material recovery; threat personnel/material snatches; bomb damage assessment (BDA); counterterrorist (CT) operations; raids; hostage rescues, and other activities as directed by the President. Candidates for the SAS are primarily drawn from two sources. The first of these is the US military's Special Mission Units (SMUs) such as the Army's Combat Applications Group (CAG) better known as "Delta Force" ( the 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta), as well as the US Navy's Naval Special Warfare Development Group (DEVGRU-formerly known as SEAL Team SIX). Other prospective candidates are drawn from former members of elite military units such as the USMC's Force Reconnaissance units; the US Army Special Forces; and Navy's SEAL teams, or from within the ranks of the Agency itself. A SOG detachment would be comprised of members from one, or more the SAS's three sections, which include a Ground Branch, Air Branch, and Maritime Branch, depending upon the needs of the SOG, and its mission tasking. Once organized, a SOG would travel to its selected Area of Operations (AO), and execute its mission as directed by the DDO through the local Chief of Station, or whomever was tasked with carrying out the operation. One successful operation conducted by the SAS occurred during Operation Desert Shield. During the operation a lone SAS operative repeatedly penetrated Iraqi defense in and around Kuwait City in order to deliver, and retrieve intelligence material from the besieged US Embassy. In another operation SAS operators, along with US Navy SEALs, were involved in the covert mining of Nicaraguan harbors during the 1980s.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:02:26 PM EDT
Why the same designation as British SAS?
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 5:00:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 10:53:43 PM EDT
I never met anyone from the CIA before. I guess they are kind of quiet about that sort of thing. But I have met SpecOps, and they come in all shapes and sizes. I know the CIA doesn't really hire agents with bachelors, believe me, they rejected my GED enough times. But I knew this one guy who said he knew this one guy that could get me in the CIA, for a price. Of course linguistics are going to be helpful, but let don't Tom Clancys latest fantasy distract you, not all agents are fluent in more than a couple languages. But of course, a CIA'er (Or secret dicks as they are rumored to be liked to called) must be clever. I remember a Mossad agent retelling a story about his training, and the firs thing they had him do was get the first name off some random hotel ledger. They have to be crafty. Generally, they also hire attractive guys, after all, lonely wifes are excellent sources of information. (Sell what Ms. Stewart?) Driving school and executive protection are given courses, and they even let you install a camera in a subway bathroom of your choice once you're certified in electronics. But remember, I only "heard" about these things, I can't prove anything, and I don't even know if the CIA really exists.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 5:55:14 PM EDT
Why are we talking about this on a site that anyone in Peking or Bagdad can open up and read???????
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 6:17:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 6:48:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
Originally Posted By PSYWAR1-0: Why are we talking about this on a site that anyone in Peking or Bagdad can open up and read???????
View Quote
Amen.
View Quote
Because I was half in the bag Tuesday night when I posted it. How else can you explain my asking for NSFJoJo's expertise.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 7:32:44 PM EDT
I was under the impression that a CIA field operative became certified by watching 20 or more hours of X-Files reruns. Am I mistaken?
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:33:50 PM EDT
No thats FBI and small town highway patrolmen.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:42:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DJSSniper: The only advice I can give is a book. Called FRAM 16, I don't remember the author. It was about a CIA ops group during Vietnam, of course that is going to be much different than it is now, but was still one hell of a story. One thing I do know is that a few of the things they did my dad did in Navy Beach Jumpers. Hope it helps some, Adios
View Quote
The story in FRAM 16 is complete and utter bullshit, the "real life" story was busted in SOF a couple of years back, i can dig up the article if you want...
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:18:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2002 8:44:47 AM EDT by SocomCen]
Originally Posted By Venerated: Why the same designation as British SAS?
View Quote
[peep]They are no longer are named SAS=Special Activities Staff. They go by SAD=Special Activities Division.
Top Top