Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2003 8:05:11 PM EDT
I don't know JACK about camping equipment, so I thought I'd ask some of the more savvy campers here on the board for some advice.

My daughter and I are gonna go camping (well, I don't know if you call going to the beach camping, but it's a start for a city slicker...LOL) with some close friends and thier kids.  So, I'm looking for a 3-person tent and some sleeping bags.

I don't want to buy cheap gear, but I also don't want to spend a fortune.

What brand do you guys recommned? I probably won't use this stuff a lot, but I do want dependable stuff.

If you guys have links, I'd appreciate that, too!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Just a thought...

visit an REI or EMS store if there is one in your area.

most of the people working there should be knowledgeable.

the big plus.. you can learn something, see/feel stuff, try it on, etc.  All in person.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Post this question over here, you will get alot of answers.:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=123[/url]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, I didn't even know about that forum...thanks!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Try these websites, they sell all kinds of camping equipment:
[url=http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ExecMacro/welcome.d2w/report]Camp More[/url]
[url=http://www.rei.com/]Recreational Equipment Inc.(REI)[/url]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Great prices, factory 2nd's & closeouts.  Nice people.  [url]www.sierratradingpost.com[/url]

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out a Galyans or Gander Mountain if you have one in your area.  Also sometimes you can rent some gear (maybe REI or EMS still do this?).  My local university will rent some outdoor equipment to members.  

I've been accumulating camping equipment all my life.  I have three tents (one I bought as a Boy Scout 25 years ago and it still works).  I have 3-4 stoves, etc.  and I'm always watching for good deals on camping gear.  I just wish my Dad would give the rest of his camping geat to me, because he has more stuff than I do!

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#7]
We go about 5-6 times a year.
I realize you said you don't want cheap gear but some of the cheap stuff aint bad,like if you went into Wally world and bought your lanterns and stuff like that you would spend less money.
Most stuff if not all is made in the Orient and it is what it is.
REI and the other good outlets are great for the real nice specialized stuff,but in reality that should make up a small percentage of your gear.
Did you ever see them small stoves at the gunshows that take like an arosol can of gas?
They are the shit and cost less that $20.
Get two. You will thank me later.
Andy
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I buy almost all my camping gear from these two places.

[url]http://www.sportsmansguide.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/[/url]

and WalMart
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Allot of my money goes into guns and outdoor equip.

There is one thing I learned about tents. Unless your a hiker.........and the $400 tent provides you with super lightweight shelter, don't go spending mega-bucks on a tent. If your not busting your ass up a mountain or across miles of terrain, you wasted $400.

So as far as tents go: I have several from $30 to I rather not say. I have a $30 Texsport 2-man dome that I have slept in about 30nights, and fought some TX T-storms. I got that one at Academy Sports.

Usually the elastic strap in the poles breaks or a seam rips. No biggie, both are repairable and if not your only out $50. Dogs, kids, and mold are the hardest on tents.

I would'nt spend more than $100 on your first tent. $100 will buy you a nice large tent. The Sportsmansguide sometimes has great deals on Coleman and other name brand tents.

I have two camo tents I got from cheaperthandirt. They are OK, not as nice as the Coleman I have.

Again if your a hiker.......a $300 3.5lb -20degree sleeping bag may be worth it.

Although even for the "average Joe" sleeping bags are a much better investment. Why?
-Cheap Nylon is very uncomfortable against the skin, especially in humidity. I like the cloth interiors although, these are much heavier.
-Fighting cheap sleeping bag zippers sucks.
-If you want a winter rig, the extra money is justified.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top