Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/26/2002 9:51:21 AM EST
Is it legal for a FOID card holder to introduce someone to Skeet Shooting through hands on experience if they do not posess a FOID card? Assuming that the activity is legal, my gun is legal, and I posess a FOID card, is it legal for me to allow a friend who is over 21 and doesn't have a FOID to shoot it while I am there? I regularly shoot on our farm, but there are some nosy neighbors around, and the cops have been called several times before. I want to make sure all the bases are covered before inviting someone over. I looked through Illinois Gun Laws, and I found nearly nothing. Illegal discharge and posession always contain the private land home or place of business clause, and elsewhere makes reference to posessing a FOID card. Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:22:38 AM EST
Anyone anyone?
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 10:37:48 AM EST
Torf Here is a section of the Illinois criminal code: "(430 ILCS 65/2) Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions. (a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act." To be found guilty of Unlawful Use of a Weapon the law requires that a person must 'knowingly' violate the law. The key to this is how will your local cops (and the judge) define 'acquire or possess'. Did you and your friend 'know' that a FOID card is required by the state of Illinois? If your friend holds,or shoots a shotgun does that consititute possession? In most rural counties the local deputies will figure that if it's your gun and you're on your property there is no crime. Go and have fun. However. The Illinois State Police have recently been very agressive in interpreting firearms law and are inclined to go way overboard. They most likely will arrest you or your friend and let a judge decide. I'm a booking officer for the Sheriff's office in a large SW Illinois county. I've seen ISP make arrests on the flimsiest of grounds (even if they know the judge will throw it out!). The are require to make 10 citizen contacts a day. Writing a couple of non-traffics for UUW would look good on a trooper's montly stats. A FOD card is only $5.00 and is pretty cheap insurance. Good Luck John
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 11:49:06 AM EST
Torf: Call the "Rend Lake Shooting Complex" It's located near Rend Lake just south of Mt. Vernon on I-57. They have an excellent public facility... will rent guns and sell ammo. They probably can answer the question. 618-629-2368 I stopped by there yesterday on my way home... Nice facility with Trap & Skeet ranges (several) and it also has a "realistic" shooting stations set up like a golf course. I don't know the difference between trap, skeet, sporting clays, or 5-stand, but they have it all there.
Top Top