Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2003 7:19:30 PM EDT
Leave it to the press to invent new terminology.

[url=http://www.courier-journal.com/cjextra/editorials/ed050903s404133.htm] The Courier Journal[/url]

[b]Assault-gun posturing[/b]

"YES , we suppose we should be thrilled that President Bush is supporting a 10-year extension of the ban on assault weapons. After all, the National Rifle Association is adamantly opposed, and on every other issue, it and Mr. Bush have agreed.

But we aren't thrilled. If the first nine years of the ban have proved anything, it's that the law doesn't go far enough.

Very quickly, the gun industry figured out how to get around the law by slightly modifying weapons.
As this month's issue of Gun World says, assault rifles ''are far from dead. Stunned momentarily, they sprang back with a vengeance and seem better than ever. Purveyors abound, producing post-ban assault rifles for civilians.''

Assault weapons are built to kill large numbers of people quickly. They are favored by drug
traffickers and big-time criminals, who many times have used them to kill police.

But gun purists are viscerally opposed to all restrictions on weapons. And many members of
Congress agree.

So getting even the current weak ban extended will be a challenge -- which makes the President's support important. But if he were really interested in keeping assault weapons off the streets, he would support legislation to strengthen the ban instead.

Mr. Bush's political supporters claim he's being bold. They say support of any ban puts him at odds with his base.

Hogwash: There's no bravery or risk in this move. Voters overwhelmingly support a ban.

They know what Uzis, AK47s and assault rifles like the one used in the sniper killings are built for, and it doesn't have a thing to do with sports.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it normal to choke back bile every time you read something like that?

I could slam my head into a brick wall trying to understand how people can be so pathetically ignorant.

Seriously ... it's like an uncontrolable fury.  I'm amazed the human race has survived as long as it has in the midst of such mindnumbing stupidity.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
People really don’t know the difference between the political term “Assault Weapon” and the real term “Assault Rifle”.  To them it’s all the same.  Anything that has a pistol grip a mag (and God forbid – is BLACK) is a bullet spraying, cop killing, child massacring machine gun.

It does no good to dispute these “facts” to these hysterical asshats that are convinced because “it was on TV so it must be true.”

And yes, my blood pressure spikes, I taste the bile rising in my throat and I just want to smash something into the wall when I read VPC/Brady inspired bullshit like this.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is it normal to choke back bile every time you read something like that?

I could slam my head into a brick wall trying to understand how people can be so pathetically ignorant.

Seriously ... it's like an uncontrolable fury.  I'm amazed the human race has survived as long as it has in the midst of such mindnumbing stupidity.
View Quote

How did you choke it back?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
They say the reason it hasnt done anything is because it doesnt go far enough.  Morons.  They just make up more BS reasons when its simple that their ideas are wrong.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Damm, after reading this article I feel like going in and smashing all my assault-rifles and joining the VPC.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Damm, after reading this article I feel like going in and smashing all my assault-rifles and joining the VPC.
View Quote

If you send them my way I'll make sure those baby killin devices of satan are properly disposed of.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't read any more BS in the news about this.  It's a waste of my time and energy.  Pure DU shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top