Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2001 5:27:00 AM EDT
I saw this on the news last night.  Broke my heart.

He is a decorated WW II vet whose only family is a daughter (Full bird colonel stationed in Japan)....he lost everything except the clothes on his back.

Lives in Mesa.  I am going to try and find out where he lives this weekend and try to get him some clothes...I have a North face jacket that is virtually new but will never wear again ...going to try and find other stuff to give him...

He had homeowners insurance and that will come through for him, but is an 82 year old man.  I want to cheer him up a bit.

This was such a sad story, but there was one peice of good news.  One of the few things that did NOT burn was his military records and plaques, medals, etc.  This guy earned the bronze star.  

If anyone wants to write him a note, post it here, and I'll print it out and give to him when I catch up with him over the weekend.

Satcong out
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
This one needs to go back up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I called the Mesa police & fire and left a message with them to get info on him, his name is Mr. Rocker.  Anyway they called me back and said that someone from the red cross would get a hold of me - that was friday, today is monday & I haven't heard a word from anyone.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Just because this guy was eligible for the draft during WWII doesn't automatically anoint him as special or worthy - he just happened to have been born within a certain few years.

If Vietnam veterans Gray Davis, John McCain, or Al Gore needed help, would you rush to their rescue?  I don't think so.

Just being in a war doesn't mean anything.  See what type of person he is first.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:28:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top