Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2003 2:56:24 PM EDT
Here's the deal. Last night, my wife baked a pork tenderloin, seasoned with Mrs. Dash, etc, etc, 250-300 F for about 2.5+ hours.

It was so tender, it falls apart when I was serving it, yummy!

Half of it was left over, she pulls it apart, and adds BBQ sauce, puts it in the fridge for leftovers.

Today, I had a sandwich for lunch, and [red]DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMN![/red] it WAS delicious.

Question: When you make Pork BBQ at home, usually what cut of pork do you use?

Since it was Pork Tenderloin, this was kind of expensive BBQ, or was it?

Thanks for lookin'
CC
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#1]
for bbq, i use country style pork ribs, bone or boneless, can be had for $.98/lb on sale, LOTS of meat on em.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Try using a whole shoulder off of a wild hog. Damn good stuff. If that isnt available, I always do spare ribs or chinese style riblets.
Also, thin cut pork steaks are quite excellent.
I slow smoke everything over mesquite.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
several commercial caterers i know use the upper shoulder..which i think is also called a boston butt.  pork tenderloin is still a good value though. no matter what you do with it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Ribs, shoulder or butt.

Barbeque is a cooking terchnique that takes relativily 'tough' pieces of meat and makes them tender (by cooking 'low and slow').  It really isnt necessary to 'barbeque' tenderloin.  Sure you can have barbeque flavored tenderloin, but it is not real barbeque.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know if you folks are near any Asian gorcery stores, but check them out. They may have better meat prices than the mainstream supers. Down here in L.A.(actually Monterey Park, about 5 miles east of L.A.) I go to Soon Fat on Atlantic Blvd for some pretty good deals on pork spareribs and asian pork cuts. The cuts look a little different, but I'm sure that you could do some customizing here and there. But their beef prices are really high, I go to Ralph's for beef.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Dont eat much swine, after watching Pulp Fiction.[8D]

But, as a side note, I do cook steak over an open fire quite often. Although it's getting hard to find here, mesquite wood is the only fire I'll cook a decent steak over.(Gotta go looking for more) The aged beef from Fry's cannot be beat for the price and convenience. Although it is cryo-aged, it is good stuff, especially the porterhouse! Awesome deal when its on sale.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
About the only pork that I BBQ is spare ribs. I rub mine down with Tony Chachere's Original Creole seasoning and some brown sugar. Gives it a great spicy/sweet balance. Put them on the cool end of the pit until the meat pulls away from the bone. Take them off and wrap it up in foil and put it back in the pit. After it cooks in its own juice for another hour or so you're ready to chow down. Damn, I'm getting hungry now.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#9]
We use the whole pig here in NC.

PIG PICKIN!

[url]http://hkentcraig.com/BBQexp.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We use the whole pig here in NC.

PIG PICKIN!

[url]http://hkentcraig.com/BBQexp.html[/url]
View Quote

Oh yeah, I second that entropy![beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top