Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 4:39:20 PM EDT
That even in a tie the train ALWAYS wins.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#1]
What did I miss?

All I see is clear track in front of the train. (until you fixed it that is.)

And the other Question is.

When will the Railroad come up with a perfect railroad crossing barrier that never fails?

Edit to add.  That truck looks like it's already lost one fight.  Something tells me that train in the pic is the least of it's worries after the first hit did all the front damage.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
When will the Railroad come up with a perfect railroad crossing barrier that never fails?

I suspect that if we ever come up with a perfect crossing someone else will just come up with a dumber truck driver.

Edit to add.  That truck looks like it's already lost one fight.  Something tells me that train in the pic is the least of it's worries after the first hit did all the front damage.

That picture was taken as the train was backing away to clear the crossing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
didi the train turn around to hit this truck again?  What did all the front damage to the trailer?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of container cars are those?

THey look familier
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#5]

I suspect that if we ever come up with a perfect crossing someone else will just come up with a dumber truck driver.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#6]
***warning*** cherry post
damage to the front of the trailer probable caused by the tractor being dragged
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
That signal post almost made it funner...Thanks Boomer!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#9]
probably a dumb-azzed Georgia chicken-hauler!
the drivers here know what I mean
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Those are boeing aircraft fuseage carrier.. for Boeing aircraft plant in seattle from kansas..whatever..

Quoted:

THey look familier

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Your daddy drives chickenn haulin" HUH?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#12]
trains need to slow down and watch for crossing traffic??!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Funny, the lights on the front of the train aren't even busted out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#14]
We had a truck slam into a train at about 80 and derail it here, happened about 2 miles from my house.  Closed the route to the range for a week.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Funny, the lights on the front of the train aren't even busted out.

Looks like both ditch lights are gone.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe the trucker got stuck behind one of those idiots who slow down or stop on the tracks.
I wish it was legal to push them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Maybe the trucker got stuck behind one of those idiots who slow down or stop on the tracks.

I don't know about you, but I never depend on the driver in front of me to clear the intersection in a timely and intelligent manner, whether it's a stop light or (especially!) a RR crossing.  Most drivers are dumbasses, and anybody who bets their life on the actions of a dumbass is also one.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#18]
That signal mast would have gone down pretty easily.  Knocking down the CTC always makes for a fun day on the main line.

I take it that wasn't your job Boomer?  IIRC you are a yard dog (local slang for old head, not a dog train)......
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know about you, but I never depend on the driver in front of me to clear the intersection in a timely and intelligent manner, whether it's a stop light or (especially!) a RR crossing.  Most drivers are dumbasses, and anybody who bets their life on the actions of a dumbass is also one.

I was crossing one on the way to work one day, the car infront of me went over and the train coming things go off.  This fucker stops right after he clears the tracks and sits there.  I didnt have a horn so I throw it in park, jump out screaming and cussing at him.  He took off real quick, I jumped in, and floored it off there,, nearly had the things that come down and block the tracks hit my car when I pulled off, missed by about  a foot.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Those are boeing aircraft fuseage carrier.. for Boeing aircraft plant in seattle from kansas..whatever..

Quoted:

THey look familier

Close. The cars in the picture carry aircraft components, mostly 747, to Boeing's Everett, WA facility from subcontractors around the country.

The fuselage cars carry 737/757 fuselages from Wichita, KS to Renton, WA.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Fizassist,
  I agree completely!!! I just get tired of sitting there waiting for them. Here in Pacific there's a double set of tracks, with a commuter lot in the middle. One set is rougher than the other, so several locals have their own special way of dealing with it. Some angle across the good set, then stop-and-crawl across the other. Others reverse that, and still others stop-and-crawl across both.
  The worst is when some do like Taxman just said. When heading North across the tracks you immediately come to a three-way-stop intersection, where people coming off the tracks don't stop (for obvious reasons).  Some see traffic wanting to turn, especially after waiting for a train to pass, so the get just off the tracks and stop. This confuses most sane people, so all four directions sit and look at each other. Meanwhile, both sets of tracks are now blocked with cars. The blocking arms do get broken due to this stupidity, and I saw one come down on a trailer as the trucker was stuck behind one of these mental midgets.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Now, if you are talking about the truck driver, you are wrong. The chickens are not running around in the middle of the interstate with miles of backup traffic waiting to pass...... ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD!!! Drivers down here amaze me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That signal mast would have gone down pretty easily.  Knocking down the CTC always makes for a fun day on the main line.

The opposing signal didn't fare so well:

I take it that wasn't your job Boomer?  IIRC you are a yard dog (local slang for old head, not a dog train)......

Nope, twasn't me. The yard is my typical preference, but I've bounced back and forth between the road and the yard, heck, even between states and countries. Hence my choice of "Boomer" for a user name. Yard dog? Naw, here we're known as snakes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Sure does and it's more fun when you have to repair it.
I just spent the last three days keeping signals working after an ice storm in East Central Indiana.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Check out this series of photos as a truck gets whacked in Texas:

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like they just caught the ass end of the trailer.  Good thing they didn't hit the tractor.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure does and it's more fun when you have to repair it.
I just spent the last three days keeping signals working after an ice storm in East Central Indiana.

CSX or NS?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Judging by the fatal train accidents this week, ya'll got some brushing up with your skillz to do in your line of work too
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Judging by the fatal train accidents this week, ya'll got some brushing up with your skillz to do in your line of work too

Im still wondering about the one in this area, someone screwed up bad.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#30]
that'll buff right out!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Initial reports suggest that may be true, but I'll wait for the results of the investigation before making any conclusive judgements.. At this point I'm not sure vandalism/terrorism can be ruled out as a cause of the train wreck and subsequent deadly hazmat spill in SC.

Still, I'm sure it's pretty damn hard to miss being hit by a vehicle that travels in a known, well marked path, isn't it?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, some people do really stupid shit sometimes
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:12:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Everyone that has never made a mistake or a poor judgement call while in a vehicle please sign in!!!
Yup that trucker made a bad call but where would we be without them???
Other than that baby in the cradle everything else came by truck!!!
With as many hours as they spend on the road with all those cars and as hard as they are pushed by employers it surprises me that there are not more truck accidents!!!

BIG
"The ocasional trucker"
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:15:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Everyone that has never made a mistake or a poor judgement call while in a vehicle please sign in!!!
Yup that trucker made a bad call but where would we be without them???
Other than that baby in the cradle everything else came by truck!!!
With as many hours as they spend on the road with all those cars and as hard as they are pushed by employers it surprises me that there are not more truck accidents!!!

BIG
"The ocasional trucker"

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:57:39 AM EDT
[#35]
My dad was driving a tractor trailer that was hit by a train. He was sitting at a traffic light with the connection between the truck and the trailer on the railroad track, and this particular crossing did NOT have the safety bars on either side, or sirens, or flashing lights, or anything. It completely destroyed the tractor and trailer, and my dad was off work / recovering for close to 9 months before returning to work.

Needless to say, that crossing has safety bars and it's own traffic light now...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#37]
I never cross train tracks until I have room on the other side for my car to be safely away from the tracks and booms.  This is basic shit they taught in the early 70's.  Never stop on the tracks.  Never expect the people ahead of you to keep moving.  Make sure you can always clear the tracks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
My dad was driving a tractor trailer that was hit by a train. He was sitting at a traffic light with the connection between the truck and the trailer on the railroad track, and this particular crossing did NOT have the safety bars on either side, or sirens, or flashing lights, or anything. It completely destroyed the tractor and trailer, and my dad was off work / recovering for close to 9 months before returning to work.

Needless to say, that crossing has safety bars and it's own traffic light now...

Never, ever stop on the RR tracks.  If there is a traffic light or stopped traffic in the way, stop on one side, and only cross when there is sufficient room on the other side for whatever you are driving, and/or the light goes green.

It's not rocket science!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#40]
You never know-he may of drug his trailer dolly legs,air leak(causing parking brakes to come on),spinning wheels on a slight icy incline. Or maybe just a towel head that can't speak a bit of english much less read a damn sign.I run into alot of them that there is no way they could have passed the cdl tests.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Ha   Looks like BNSF used that little GP engine as battered ram..behind lashup engines are bigger and more horsey than little GP... poor thing..

Quoted:
That even in a tie the train ALWAYS wins.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/SD70MAC/03BNSF2875WCashmere1-8-05.jpg

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#42]
+1     We got forgein truckers  working for U.S. trucking companies.. We got bosinains, croatians, russkies...mexicans...among others...

Quoted:
You never know-he may of drug his trailer dolly legs,air leak(causing parking brakes to come on),spinning wheels on a slight icy incline. Or maybe just a towel head that can't speak a bit of english much less read a damn sign.I run into alot of them that there is no way they could have passed the cdl tests.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Damn, seems to me that we had a couple of &^%$#*&^@#$% stupid ass "train engineers " run head on in to each other killing several a couple years ago just noth of Kalama, Wa.  Don't remember any truck drivers even close to the tracks
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Damn, seems to me that we had a couple of &^%$#*&^@#$% stupid ass "train engineers " run head on in to each other killing several a couple years ago just noth of Kalama, Wa.  Don't remember any truck drivers even close to the tracks

Yeah, I know, the thousands of truck "accidents" each year just pale in comparison to the occassional train wreck.

I'd sure love to see truckers held to the same standards that railroaders are. The drug and alcohol testing alone would probably decimate the trucking industry.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

BIG
"The ocasional trucker"

NOT while crossing or attempting to cross RR tracks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top