Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2005 2:54:59 PM EDT
I have been looking for a new printer.

I had a ink-jet but the ink carts were $75 for about 400 pages. Seems a bit high.

I was told about these refurb printers: Brother HL-187ON

The ink carts for this do 6500 and cost $63.00! And a 20K drum for $120.

Am I missing something here? Why is this so much cheaper?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
inkjet prints in color and black ink.  made for printing phoographs and basic text, slowly

the brother is a laser printer.  meaning it will ONLY print black on that particualr model.  They are made to print text.  once they get going they can print several pages per minute.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember, if you do a lot of graphics, go ink-jet.
If you do a lot of documents, go laser.
Laser is way cheaper for documents in the long run.

Like a true ARFCommer, I got both.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:22:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!

With all the stuff I find on the net, I need to do major printing.

Will photos come out all right on these laser printers? In B&W, of course.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Photos will print out fairly well.  The biggest thing I like about my laser printers at home is that you can just not use them for a month at a time and not have the cartrige dry out like inkjets do.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:41:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Photos will print out fairly well.  The biggest thing I like about my laser printers at home is that you can just not use them for a month at a time and not have the cartrige dry out like inkjets do.

Thats what happen to me! Boy, was I pissed. $75 and they don't even last!

I also take it that these laser cartriges are refillable?
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what happen to me! Boy, was I pissed. $75 and they don't even last!

I also take it that these laser cartriges are refillable?

My wife works at a laser printer service company in town and one of the things they do is rebuild toner cartriges.  Notice rebuild, not refill.  There are alot of people out there that will charge you to crack open your old cartrige and dump some more toner in, but there's alot more work that needs to go into the job to get quality results.

But at around 20k pages per cartrige, it hasn't even been an issue at my house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top