Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2003 7:22:27 AM EDT
I will be stationed(TDY) in San Antonio(Ft Sam Huston)for about 4 months. I have contacted the base and they will not store any personal firearms because I will be attending a school. I am wondering if anyone has any idea were I can store firearms in the San Antonio area?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I live about 15 mins from Ft Sam.  I'm also retired military and shop on Ft Sam often.  Maybe check with Ho Sporting Guns 210.521.2288.  The best place in town, IMHO.  Except he can be real opinionated.  He's located on the west side of town about 25 mins from Ft Sam.  I wonder if the AF bases would store them?  Randolph AFB is close also- info is 210.52.1110.  Nothing personal:  I'd store them for you, but some guidelines would have to be met.  I'm sure you would have some also.  Plus I'm not home much on the weekends.  And right now I'm busier than a one legged man in an ass kickin' contest.  But let me know.  

There are IDPA matches in and near SA almost every weekend, so plenty of shooting if you're inclined.

Sparsky lives in SA also; maybe he has some advice.

edit: forget to spellcheck
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Im bumping this because Im also curious about it. Im leaving for basic soon and was curious if firearm storage was allowed in the schools afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#3]
HOw about leaving your personal toys at home, that way you don't have to be concerned on about it? How about renting the guns at the local range.

If you've got a pistol and/or revolver how about renting a small safe deposit box at the local bank, and of course you've got to be decrete otherwise you may upset the natives.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi,
I'm a veteran living in San Antonio, and second the suggestion of Ho Guns. They are just a few blocks from here, and I've heard nothing but good about the store from every shooter I've talked to since it opened several years ago. Ft.Sam unfortunately is brass-heavy, and many commands there have a real propensity for political correctness. Much of the posts compliment is rotational, centered around training medical and nursing personell, that will ultimately be assigned to other units. It's basicly a "Teaching Hospital". The small unit based armories are not adequate for the post, and the only range on post was shut down around ten years ago, during construction of the new hospital facility. Those stationed there must now travel to Bullis or elswhere just for semi-annual qualification. I was not even assigned a weapon while I was stationed there. If you will just be attending one of the schools there, I would suggest just storing them with a relative or at your home of record untill you finish the school and are assigned to a perminant duty station. If this is not possible, contact the command of your unit prior to going and see if they have a solution for you. I would be willing to help, though being a private citizen, I would only be able to do so for a couple individuals, and don't think storing them with a private citizen in town would likely be your best option. I have a retired LTC living across the street. I'll ask him if he has any other suggestions for you. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Wow thanks for all the suggestions and thank you BACKSTOP for the offer. I will try HO Guns Monday and see what they say. I can and will store the most of my firearms at my patents home(Las Vegas),but I wanted to take my Rem700pss and HK USP just for something to do on my down time(i love to shoot).

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The owner of HoGuns is retired military. He might sympathize with you and help you out. IM me for contact info.

Also if you were going to try the AF bases. don't forget Brooks AFB. It is the closest to Ft Sam, I think. Who did you contact at Ft. Sam? I believe that the Provost Marshall is the one who takes care of that. Just like Security Forces on the AF bases.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I was at Ft. Sam about 3 months ago. I have never been in such a nice hospital, with such an overkill on personel and newer equipment. A couple of us went to the cafeteria and both stuffed for a total of about $4. Anyone can get in with minimal ID. Have fun on the river walk.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was on active duty at MCAS Yuma, a few friends and I went in together on a 10x15 outdoor storage locker with 24 hour gated access.  We used the space to set up a reloading bench and put a few cheap steel gun cabinets to hold our weapons.  Our unit had lights and  we rigged up an electrical outlet to run a box fan because it was HOT, HELLLLL HOT to be exact, while you were working on loads or cleaning your weapon.

You won't need as much space as the 8 or so of us did, but it sure beats handing over your weapon to some complete stranger and having to retreive and return your weapon during hours convienent to them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Also if you were going to try the AF bases. don't forget Brooks AFB.
View Quote

Brooks AFB is closed. Its now called brooks city base. The city took it over.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Dang. I forgot. I only moved away from SA 4 months ago and look at me.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:13:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I talked to the LTC across the street, and he said the Provos Martials office was the one to talk to. He said that unless they have recently changed their policy, they should store weapons for TDY personel. Might be worth a phone call to find out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#12]
We're talking about TEXAS, aren't we?  How about a decently secure commercial storage locker?  I don't see any legal problems, just concern for humidity and security.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top