Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2002 6:10:01 PM EDT
I am planning on purchasing a dehydrator and making my own Jerky. Does anyone have any good suggestions where to start? I need to buy everything, and learn it all. There any good web sites for this that you know of? Anyone know of a good cheap dehydrator?

Thanks!

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought the cheapest one I could find at walmart and some flank steak, cut it to the right size, soaked it in my marinade overnight and cooked it 6-8 hours and man is it good.  People bring me meat at work so I can make them some jerky. DOnt ask whats in my marinade because its different each time I just dump what I have in the fridge. usually some dale's steak sauce marinade as a base. For spicy I jsut use Lousianna hot sauce.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent! Thats kind of what I was seeing on the net, but wanted to confirm it with someone who has made some. Appreciate the input as always guys!

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
You might also think about using a Little Cheif electric smoker, they work great!
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Got the dehydrator and some stuff tonight. I'll take pics and post the process and results (that is if its not deemed not relevent and deleted [;)]

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]
First I would ask where do you live,If in the country you can get an old refig and open the back up with(heres the fun) gun of your choice.

Just enough to get the smoke from your pecan,appricot,or hickory wood burning smoke to exhaust from near the top of the fridg.

use the trays from the frig to put your jerky on,light a small fire with the chips in the bottom of the fridg in a pan of your choice.

then just shut the door works good for smoking and jerky.

Bob      [8D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Just go down to the store and get any dehydrator just don't get the RONCO one!!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 3:06:34 AM EDT
[#10]
also use the cheapest meat u can find
its just going to get dried out anyway.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 3:53:48 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're into deer meat I'd suggest using some venison.  Keep it natural and add a touch of seasoning.  Sometimes I'll sprinkle some salt, or Mrs. Dash, or some Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Deer makes great jerky, practically disintegrates in your mouth.

~H[:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 4:18:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Not all meat is good for jerky. The big meaty part of the brisket comes out pretty good, but the long flat part is stringy and comes out tough.  I have thought about trying to marinate the tougher parts for a long time to tenderize them, but haven't yet.

For meat, I use a big sirloin tip roast.  I marinate my jerky strips for about 30 minutes in teriyaki and sprinkle on a few red pepper flakes after arranging the strips on the trays.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 4:26:37 AM EDT
[#13]
the tough stringy part makes good dog treats
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 4:32:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
the tough stringy part makes good dog treats
View Quote

Haha, that is what I used it for [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top