Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/4/2008 1:06:24 PM EDT
So I recently found out a kid I know from high school smokes week on occasion. I was wondering how much a habit like this costs?

disclaimer - I have never smoked weed or done drugs in my life and frankly I never plan to.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
One miiiiiilliooon dollars.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not ask him?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
$87
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive never smoked either but I used to have a bud who did and he told me he could get really high on $ 5.  This was 3-4 years ago, I doubt the price has changed much.

It really depends on how many times you smoke it per day, and how much you smoke.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Shrug, who cares.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why not ask him?

I can't say that I'm good enough friends with him to be just like "hey moron, how much money do you blow on weed a week?"
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#7]
One hundred BIIIIIIILLION, kajillion, fafillion, shabadoodledoo-lion . . . yen.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on how much he smokes and the quality of it
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably less than the average cigarette smoker, except the cigarette smoker doesn't run the risk of jail or getting shot by a dope dealer.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
so let's say he smokes once a day.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#11]
If it's occasional its very cheap 20$ a month...If you go off the value the cops use then its closer to 200 a month

EDIT just saw the once a day thing... Would be prob closer to 75-100$ a month, police estimate would say about 500 a month
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#12]
depends if your a dude or a chick, or a good looking chick.
(never smoked pot).
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#13]
dude..., man its only like...ummm...like eleventeen dollars a week or somethin' man..its all good!
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#14]
It's not the cost of the weed.  It's the cost of the Twinkies and Doritos that really add up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
dude..., man its only like...ummm...like eleventeen dollars a week or somethin' man..its all good!

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I know people who go through a 12 pack a day by themselves.

I know people who a 12 pack would last a month...
but when his buddies come over, they go through 24 beers like water.

You can buy Natty Ice for $5 per 12
Or you can buy a single beer for $5

In other words...
This is a really stupid question.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not ask him?

I can't say that I'm good enough friends with him to be just like "hey moron, how much money do you blow on weed a week?"

I certainly wouldn't advocate asking like that.  But you think he'd be put off if you just said that you were curious how much the habbit cost?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Probably less than the average cigarette smoker, except the cigarette smoker doesn't run the risk of jail or getting shot by a dope dealer.

lol yea those crazy dope dealers shoot there clients alot....
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not ask him?

I certainly wouldn't advocate asking like that.  But you think he'd be put off if you just said that you were curious how much the habbit cost?

I don't like to discuss money with people.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Once a day... maybe 1600$ a year if it is of the best quality.

I only assume its top quality, and a normal size pipe (aka bowl)

figure an OZ cost 400$.

With a one hitter pipe it will go alot longer.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#21]
.....uhhh.....what?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So I recently found out a kid I know from high school smokes week on occasion. I was wondering how much a habit like this costs?

disclaimer - I have never smoked weed or done drugs in my life and frankly I never plan to.

"on occasion" could easily mean that he's got a $100/week stoner habit or that he simply hits the pipe when it's passed instead of just passing it along.  If you smoke with any degree of regularity, it's hard to imagine spending less than $50/month.

ETA:  I haven't smoked for years.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#23]
weed is for hippies

real badasses do CREATINE!

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Your regular old pot head doesn't run the risk of either of those.

It's probably just $50 to $100 a month.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I smoked a lot of weed in high school and college.  Haven't touched it in eight years now and won't again.

Back then, $100 would buy and ounce.  That was always plenty to last a month for me, smoking almost every night, generally sharing with a few other people.  Some folks could burn through that same amount in a weekend.  I'm sure prices have gone up since then, but that should give you some idea as to the cost.  Don't let the dealer rip you off.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I asked my friend Tyler.. he says it costs him about $400 a year (he doesn't live in AK). Not sure what it costs in Alaska since I don't smoke it but it costs probably 4-5 times more here since they have to smuggle it into a town that can only be accessed by plane and boat(unlikely it comes this way).
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#27]
People still pay money for that stuff?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#28]
A good bag of weed runs about $300-$500 an ounce.  And I mean good like smells skunky kinda piney and will make your teeth numb.  Around $500 an ounce you will be really high after a couple tokes.

A normal smoker will usually go through about an quarter of an ounce a week. So anywhere form $75-$125 per week $300-$500 a month.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why not ask him?

I don't like to discuss money with people.

Fair enough.  Just figured it'd be easier to get the "straight dope"
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Just ask him to move in already. I'm sure he can still help you make the rent.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a friend that has a medical pot card. This guy tells me that good pot goes for something like $400.00 per ounce. So, if we assume said friend smokes 1/4 per week that would be $400.00 per month.
Of course Bob Marley was said to have smoked and ounce per day so...
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
smokes week on occasion.

is code for ALOT but you dont smoke so i wont say actually how much.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Similar question:  I'd like to buy a gun, how much are they?

It really comes down to how much he consumes, what kind of pot (yes theres different kinds) he buys, what quantity he buys it at, and the deal that he's getting.

Here's an example:

Joe smokes 1/4 oz per week.  Once a week he buys a single 1/4 oz for $40.
$40 x 52 weeks  = $2080 per year SPENT by Joe.

Jim smokes 1/4 oz per week.  Once a week he buys an ounce for $100, then sells a 1/4 ounce to Joe for $40, a 1/4 ounce to Paul for $40, and a 1/4 ounce to Mark for $40.  Jim keeps a 1/4 ounce for himself to smoke.

$20 + 1/4 ounce x 52 weeks = $1040 and 13 ounces of weed per year MADE by Jim.

eta:

Kyle smokes cigarettes, a pack a day.  $5 per pack or so here in KS, much higher in other places.

$35 week x 52 weeks = $1820 per year SPENT by Kyle and he ain't even gettin' high.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
A good bag of weed runs about $300-$500 an ounce.  And I mean good like smells skunky kinda piney and will make your teeth numb.  Around $500 an ounce you will be really high after a couple tokes.

A normal smoker will usually go through about an quarter of an ounce a week. So anywhere form $75-$125 per week $300-$500 a month.

1/4 ounce a week? That's a gram per day, thats a heavy smoker, 3 or 4 times a day probably.

A once a day smoker probably spends less than $5 a day, or about an 1/8th ounce a week, depends like others have said on quality and where you get it from. Out in the country prices are half to 1/3 of city prices.

Drugonomics has always interested me, different market forces at work.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I smoked a lot of weed in high school and college.  Haven't touched it in eight years now and won't again.

Back then, $100 would buy and ounce.  That was always plenty to last a month for me, smoking almost every night, generally sharing with a few other people.  Some folks could burn through that same amount in a weekend.  I'm sure prices have gone up since then, but that should give you some idea as to the cost.  Don't let the dealer rip you off.

No reg weed still 80-100 an ounce, kind bud is 300-400 an ounce.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#36]
A heavy smoker can spend anywhere from $50-$200 a week.
A light smoker will spend about $10-$30 a week.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a co-worker whom he and his girl and roomate go through about a 1/4 pound per week.  My understanding is that few cops would believe that is only a personal consumption amount.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I have a co-worker whom he and his girl and roomate go through about a 1/4 pound per week.  My understanding is that few cops would believe that is only a personal consumption amount.

damn thats 4 ounces a week, they must have a lot of friends that come over
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It IS personal at that level.  They just smoke BUNCHES!
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Because it's not.
An ounce a week, ok. Four ounces a week? No, not for three people.
They're selling, or they're lying.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#41]
How much do you need homie?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

A lot of citizens have become "gentlemen" farmers!
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of citizens have become "gentlemen" farmers!

That, and around here (San Diego) it is often simply given away, or traded for other goods or services.  I guess the legal risks are a lot less if no cash changes hands.

People pay big bucks for it up in L.A., where there are "dispensaries" for "medical" pot all over the place.  Even cannabis concentrate (hashish) is sold in those places.  Possession of any amount of that is still a felony if you don't have medical authorization.

The few in San Diego County are very low-key.  In Hollywood it's blatant.  Everybody gets "the card" up there when they turn 18, so they can pay multiple times the street price for weed, but it's legal as far as the state is concerned.  To the feds, not so much.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd say $60 a month for pretty regular smoking of decent grass, assuming you have a 9-5 for at least 4 days a week.

You might could spend upwards of $250/month for top-shelf mj assuming the same conditions.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it's not.

It is safe to say if he is not working or within a few hours of working he/they are high.  I am pretty certain I quoted him accurately.  They are not selling because I have a pretty good idea who they get there stuff from.  I imagine they have help a few times per week.

To the LEOs no doubt reading this thread, don't you have to have baggies, scales, etc. to make an intent to distribute charge?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I'd say $60 a month for pretty regular smoking of decent grass, assuming you have a 9-5 for at least 4 days a week.

You might could spend upwards of $25000/month for top-shelf mj assuming the same conditions.

Fix'd.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Probably less than a typical tobacco smoker.

... for arbitrary values of "probably" and "typical".

ETA:

Quoted:
Similar question:  I'd like to buy a gun, how much are they?

Yeah, the answer to either question is about the same, isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it's not.

It is safe to say if he is not working or within a few hours of working he/they are high.  I am pretty certain I quoted him accurately.  They are not selling because I have a pretty good idea who they get there stuff from.

To the LEOs no doubt reading this thread, don't you have to have baggies, scales, etc. to make an intent to distribute charge?

That only translates to 1 1/3 oz. per week per person.

That's quite a bit of grass, but if it's shit weed, then I can totally see that happening.

It's by no means an impossible amount.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it's not.

It is safe to say if he is not working or within a few hours of working he/they are high.  I am pretty certain I quoted him accurately.  They are not selling because I have a pretty good idea who they get there stuff from.  I imagine they have help a few times per week.

If they buy multiple baggies at a time they can be charged.  It doesn't take much.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might could spend upwards of $25000/month for top-shelf mj assuming the same conditions.

Fix'd.

You are overpaying.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top